Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: speeding up surgery  (Read 813 times)

Offline late again

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
speeding up surgery
« on: December 30, 2005, 06:22:27 PM »
I was diagnosed with a medial ligament tear by a number of physios.  However had to go private to see a surgeon who diagnosed an ACL injury.  So with this in hand I then went to my GP, as I was quoted 4.500+ for the surgery privately.

He promised to put me on the waiting list to see the same surgeon via the NHS.  I was told about 9 months, but as from January is there not a new limit of 6 months?

Anyway does anyone know any tricks to getting me higher up the list quicker, or even finding out if im even on the damned list.  Im 32 and dying of boredom as the injury stops me from playing team sports, doing any running, cycling.  I even get pain, (locking), whilst ironing, driving or doing the washing up.  All of which I have told the GP.

All I want is to be able to run and cycle again.

P.S I hate swimming I find it so boring, but that appears to be all I have left.

Offline sparkle999

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: speeding up surgery
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 06:29:38 PM »
Hi
the MCL tear should heal with physio, and the ACL injury should not prevent you form running or cycling. The ACL injury will only make pivoting (team sprots) and cutting in etc...

I would suggest you get soem good physio and get as strong as you can, both for quality of life now and because the recovery will be much easier with a strong knee. Locking is not an ACL symptom so something else is causing that. You really need everything else sorted out first, before having the ACL recon.
xx
35 y/o
ACL rupture
loose body under kneecap
impaction fractures
injury 19th march 2005
scope 9th may
recon 24th october 05

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 09:49:05 PM »
Hi Late Again

I understand that a Consultant in the NHS service must see you in under 17 weeks....

Best wishes

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline j_smi001

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 10:19:23 PM »
Just to help and make sure you don't end up in the same time warp as me I will tell you a bit about what happened.  I, like you went to the GP, who said they would refer me.  I patiently waited to hear from the hospital and after 6 months rang the hospital only to find out that my GP had not sent in the referral at all.  I rang the GP's secretary.  The secretary, four more weeks later, emailed my referal to the hospital and I duely received a letter of apology from my GP and an appointment to see the consultant in four months time.  I then had to have a scan of my hip a long story but to check that was OK before considering a derotation op) , which was very quick, two weeks.  Then I had to wait another four months to see the consultant, who for some reason was not available that day and was seen by a doctor who reassured me there was nothing wrong with my hip! Great I was there for my knee and was quite happy to release me from clinin.  I then get a further appointment to see the consultatnt in another six months.  So now time is trudging along nicely but I had been seen at the hospital within the time limit and was in no mans land as I was not on a wait list for any operation.  I rang the secretary to see if there was any cancellation and explained the problem who brought the appointment forward for me, for which I was very greatful.  Having seen the consultant I get placed on the operation list and that is where I currently sit and wait - March will be 6 months.  I originally saw my GP in July 2004!  I think you may have to be patient.........  The moral of the story is check at each stage that the previous stage has been moved on.  Get to know the consultants secretary and be polite.  This way I have managed to move things along and find out what was happening.  I wish you all the very best.
2002 plica removal, chrondoplasty both knees and LR right knee. Derotational tibial osteotomy rt leg 07/04/06. Awaiting for left leg to be rotated and have no more knee pain!

Offline jb-knee-geek

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2005, 01:09:09 AM »
I can't help with the NHS but, don't knock swimming. I just started, it's a great workout.

Get yourself a cool swim cap and goggles. Do some laps then "run" in the pool when you get tired, it's easy on the knee....

My knee feels a lot better becuase of the strength of my legs, and swimming has a lot to do with it. 

Unfortunately, I can't do more "interesting" workouts until post-surgery rehab is finished, until then, swimming is cool. My 2 cents.
torn RK ACL March 2001, surgery Aug. 14 2006, after 4 knee sprains since Oct. '05.  Allograft, ~40% medial meniscus removed, some wear in the trochlear groove. Everything else looks good.

Post-op diary: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=29749.