Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Inspiring poems and quotes  (Read 7419 times)

SL99

Inspiring poems and quotes
« on: March 18, 2003, 02:01:03 AM »
A friend sent me this a while ago and I thought it was really uplifting and inspiring. Hope you don't mind me sharing it.  :)

Somebody said that it couldn't be done, but he with a chuckle replied
That maybe it couldn't but he'd be the one who wouldn't say so till he tried.
So he buckled right in, with the trace of a grin, on his face, if he worried he hid it,
He started to sing as he tackled the thing, that couldn't be done and he did it.

There are thousands to tell you it cannot be done, there are thousands to prophesy failure.
There are thousands to point out to you one by one, dangers that wait to assail you.
But just buckle in, with the trace of a grin, just take off your coat and go to it
Just start to sing as you tackle the thing that couldn't be done and you'll do it.

--Edgar Guest

Anyone got any more similar poems or quotes etc?

Love......Jo
xx
« Last Edit: March 18, 2003, 02:07:59 PM by SL99 »

Offline rhea

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.......
    • Budgie Love!
Re: Inspiring poems and quotes
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2003, 07:42:41 PM »
Hi Jo,
Great idea!  I've got a whole bunch of quotes I find inspiring.  My fav. are from Helen Keller.  Here is my collection.
"Patience, n. A minor form of dispair, disguised as a virtue."
-Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary, 1911

"If you don't learn to laugh at troubles, you won't have anything to laugh at when you grow old."
-Edward W. Howe

"Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved."
-Helen Keller

"Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know it so it goes on flying anyway."
-Mary Kay Ash

"If you have a lemon, make lemonade."
-Howard Gossage

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow."
-Anon.

"Every problem has a gift for you in its hands."
-Richard Bach

"When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us."
-Helen Keller

"You can complain because roses have thorns, or you can rejoice because thorns have roses."
-Ziggy
7 yrs of knee troubles (maltracking, maybe plica).  
Finally found wonderful OS(#4)!
Diagnostic scope+biopsy schduled for sept 23,2003  
HMS/EDS III
Chronic joint pain,subluxations,microtraumas...

Helen_uk

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2003, 08:50:15 PM »
My grand dad said this to me the night before he died:
Life is for living, live each day as if its your last and do it do it do it and he should know he got remarried at 80 and lived till just before he was 90 years old.
I try to impliment it as often as possible.
H xxx ;)

SL99

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2003, 12:03:02 AM »
Thanks for sharing those guys, they're very much needed right now. Here's another of my favourite poems:

Don't Quit

When things go wrong as they sometimes will,
When the road your trudging seems all uphill,
When the funds are low and the debts are high,
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh.
When care is pressing you down a bit,
Rest if you must but don't you quit.
Life is queer with it's twists and turns,
As everyone of us sometimes learns,
And many a failure turns about,
When he might have won had he stuck it out.
Don't give up though the pace seems slow,,
You may succeed with another blow.
Success is failure turned inside out,
The silver tint of the clouds of doubt.
And you never can tell how close are,
It may be near when it seems so far.
So stick to the task when you're hardest hit,
It's when things seem worst that you must not quit.

Love and hugs........Jo
xxx

Offline puffingirl

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2003, 11:33:36 PM »
I enjoy this message, although it is hard deal deal with often...

Pain As Teacher

Pain is your best friend.  It is infinitely more honest with you than pleasure.  Despite what you might think, the painful experiences you have had benefit you far more than the pleasurable ones, even though most of us spend our lives trying to duck and hide from them.  But when you can center yourself and be open to look pain dead in the eye, then you have transcended the limits of your ego and this humanity.  It is then that you enter into the possibility of becoming a great being.
-Swami Chetanananda
Right knee
2000--lateral meniscus repair, partial medial meniscectomy
2002--subtotal lateral and partial medial meniscectomy
2003--diagnostic scope
2009--lateral meniscal allograft

Offline Ross

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • it only hurts when I larf!
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2003, 07:26:51 AM »
.... just a few lines taken from the memorial to the absolute master of despair, the Australian poet Henry Lawson:

question not but live and labour
'til at last yon goal be won
helping ev'ry feeble neighbour
asking help of none

On the face of it a pretty grim bit of prose but when you read into the agony of despair that gives rise to creativity; and then put that into perspective with the disaster of the poor beggar's life, it is a cry from the heart of a truly tormented soul of the need to be able to offer solace to another and of the human folly and pride that waits for its heart to be shattered before even contemplating surrender.

For all our physical and psychological warts and bumps we are a pretty special species.  I thank God every day for the sheer beauty of existence.
I'm a grumpy old bear with a busted knee.  The growling you hear is my tummy rumbling!

Offline wendy

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2003, 02:59:21 PM »
Hi All,

Since being diagnosed with RSD a few weeks ago things have been really rough. THie thing I look towards is my prayers. I have this pocket piece that has a cross on the front and on the back it says"Fear not for I am with you." I find myself rubbing that thing all day long on the really bad days.

I also bought my kids these really cheap recorders the other day. THey are wooden and have fairly good tone. So I play hymns at night to help relax my legs. I feel like I am hypnotizing them.

Thanks for all your poems and sayings they are wonderful.

Wendy
began running long distances at age 7. Now I have two knees that have given in to my abuse! 3 scopes, LRs, Patella tendon repositionings, and years of pain. PKR on both. Diagnosed with RSD 3/4/2003.

Offline Ross

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2003, 11:45:46 AM »
Wendy, the power of prayer is grossly underestimated, you stick with your prayer, focus on healing, believe He can and will heal you and healing you will have.  Remember the story of the widow and the unjust judge?  Don't be afraid to keep asking, you can't make a pest of yourself to the Lord!  

May God bless you and your family, ask Him, trust in Him , He never fails! He rarely gives me what I ask for but He always gives me what I need!
I'm a grumpy old bear with a busted knee.  The growling you hear is my tummy rumbling!

Offline muskypike

• Forum Faithful
  • im going wacko, with my tkr
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2003, 04:35:40 PM »
My Mother gave me this placque for christmas this year.  It really brought joy to me and I read it often:

LOVE LIKE YOU'VE NEVER BEEN HURT

LIVE LIKE THERE'S NO TOMORROW

&

DANCE LIKE NO ONE IS LOOKING

I wish we could dance,  up to a few years ago I use to dance around my house constantly, my kids and husband thought I was nuts, but I felt free and strong.  I try to live every day like there is no tomorrow,  but on those awful knee days, I spend my time thinking of what I have done with my life, and it makes me feel like I have lived it completely.  As far as loving like I've never been hurt, that is hard, but it makes me love my husband and family even more, the pain of hurt makes us stronger to love more.

Because we probably cant dance,  Lets just live like no one is looking, be free and content with what we have been dealt with, find joy and happiness in ourselves, and we will be able to dance emotionally.

God Bless all of us Knee Geeks, we are a tough group of people!!!!

I love each and everyone of you, for you have all touched my heart in a very special way.

Thanks for being my friends,

Ellen
GOLDWIATH1980. LR1992. MENISCUS TEAR 1992 1999 2003. SYNVISC INJ 2001, FULKERSON 2002 W/ PATELLA CHONDROPLSTY SYNoVCTMY & LR SCAR TISSUE REMOVAL4/03 STAPH INF4/03 BONE INFECTION 4/03 TKR 3/04 meniscus tear 7/04 LOA 9/04 RSD 9/04 LOA 1/05, and LOA in May, told by OS will need loa every 3 mos. ENUFF!!

Offline Ross

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2003, 04:04:44 AM »
Ellen, we Kneepeople do dance every day!  It may not be the most graceful of dances but that bit where we hop from foot to foot when we get out of bed in the morning has to count!

Keep smiling kids, it really is a most beautiful world and the true flowers are the people we meet and communicate with.

God bless you all and grant you the healing you seek.

SL99

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2003, 04:08:50 PM »
The Optimist Creed

To be so strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind.
To talk health, happiness and prosperity to every person you meet.
To make all your friends feel that there is something special in them.
To look at the sunny side of everything and make your optimism come true.
To think only of the best, to work only for the best and to expect only the best.
To be just as enthusiastic about the success of others as you are about your own.
To forget the mistakes of the past and press on to the greater achievements of the future.
To wear a cheerful countenance at all times and give every living creature you meet a smile.
To give so much time to the improvement of yourself, that you have no time to criticise others.
To be too large for worry, too noble for anger, too strong for fear and too happy to permit the presence of trouble.

Love and hugs........Jo
xxx

Offline windbarb

• Forum Faithful
  • They call me Weather Bunny!
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2003, 05:23:53 PM »
Oooo, I like that one, Jo!  It gave me goose bumps :).  I think I need to stick those words up on my desk.  Thanks for posting it!

Cheers,
Barb :)
1988-91: LK severe OSD, RK mild OSD
01/91: LK scope-flush. lingering pain
12/02: LK cortisone injection
3/03: LK scope-plica excision, partial synovectomy
11/04: L big toe cartilage/bone repair (fell)
now: L middle toe (broke; lingering pain), RK pain/swelling, neck pain/swelling

Offline Lizzie - UK

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Fibromyalgia diagnosed Dec 2003 - OA in both knees
    • E30 Zone
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2003, 04:50:41 AM »
I remember reading this sometime back when I was seeing yet another chiropractor, or was it an osteopath, I've lost count - anyway here it goes

Pain never lasts for ever
It either goes away, or you die!

Cheery huh! ;D
Past History of L&R Knee
Bilateral OA
Medial Meniscal Tears
Lateral Releases & Medial Reefings
Ruptured LCL, MCL & PCL
Adhesions in the interconylar notch of ACL removed
Suprapatella plication
Debridements/Lavages
Deep chondral fissure in crest of patella
Awaiting MRI - LK
TKR - RK

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2003, 07:01:36 AM »
HI!

Here's a weight watchers tried and true:

"If you keep on doing what you've always done, you'll keep on getting what you've always got."

I think they attribute that to Henry Ford.  It sure pertains to a lot--weight loss and health and raising a family and, well everything!
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2003, 12:01:21 AM »
I have one & it sums up a lot for me, how much it'll mean to any one else I don't know..

Life can only be understood backward, but it must only be lived forwards.

I think what it's saying is that hindsight is a great thing w=but you can't live in the past....

Iona

support