Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: time frame with just diagnosed ACL  (Read 797 times)

Offline brinny

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
time frame with just diagnosed ACL
« on: December 30, 2005, 10:20:27 AM »
I have just been diagnosed with a ruptured ACL and have been told to go away until March 2006 and do strengthening exercises then the surgeon will review my knee and decide when to do reconstruction op.
Is this delay what should happen sensibly or could surgery happen sooner.

Offline Audice

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
Re: time frame with just diagnosed ACL
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 10:57:19 AM »
Hi Briny ~ From what I've heard & read it seems the ideal way to handle ACL reconstruction is to go into the surgery with your leg muscles as strong as possible which is why except for pro athletes there's a waiting period between the time of injury & reconstruction. Since there'll be muscle wasting post op, you'll want all the strength in that leg you can build. Surgeons seem to vary in the time they want their patients to wait before surgery.

What I can tell you from my experience is that the farther away from the injury the less unreliable my knee has become. Hopefully whatever instability you're feeling now will improve as you build strength in that leg. Wishing you well...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline oldfogy

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • http://images-partners.google.com/images?q=tbn:PCWJ5UgAi7gJ:http%3A//www.ci.boulder.co.us/openspace/nature/images/red-fox.jpg
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 11:58:31 AM »
Brinny  am going through the same thing right now have done PT and now waiting to go back to OS on jan 3rd to see when to do surgery. Good luck Mary.
annie,april,ben,jester,potter,pumpkin,blaze,reggie,lucky, chewy,smokey rocky.jill.willie and dottie the only sane thing in my life. L shoulder 2/90- rt hand carpel tunnel 12/02- L hand 1/03 carpel tunnel- L hand thumb fusion 1/04-L hand screw removal and tendon removal 6/04 Lkneedep 6/05 Lkacl recon

Offline sparkle999

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 06:26:11 PM »
hi
i injured in march, got fuul ROM back in june and strengthened til oct when the recon was done. It's a sensible suregeon who waits to operate on a strong and mobile knee!
xx
35 y/o
ACL rupture
loose body under kneecap
impaction fractures
injury 19th march 2005
scope 9th may
recon 24th october 05

Offline Gracie1964

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2005, 09:18:36 PM »
Hi, Brinny.  I'm sorry to hear about your injury.

I tore my ACL on October 9 and will have reconstruction on January 12.  Just as with most of us kneegeeks, I was told to strengthen my knee and ensure the ability to bend and straighten my injured right knee as much as the left knee.  Ironically, I can bend my injured knee more than my good knee.  I have been ready for surgery for several weeks now.

Additional wait time for attaining a recon date was due to the fact that I switched my OS.  The first one was rather erratic and not wholeheartedly wanting to do recon on "an older woman" such as me.  From what I understand he refrains doing recon on women around 40 and older.  He's old school as far as I am concerned.  Also, I could have had surgery on December 15 or January 3, but it would have greatly affected my demanding work schedule.

I anxiously waited for an appointment with a another OS.  My new OS, who has a more "modern" philosophical approach, examined me and reviewed my MRI and reports.  Based on my activities and instability (my knee, not my mind-- another story  :D) he was supportive of doing recon.  Hallelujah!

Be proactive with your presurgery prep, but also be careful.  I aggravated my knee and may have done more damage by being a stubborn mule.  For example, I lifted and carried hundreds of pounds of heavy items (i.e. sand, salt, dog food, cat litter, etc.), forgot I had an injured leg and ran up a flight of stairs, etc., etc.  I live alone and it is difficult at times, but I have friends and family that will help and will also kick my butt if I don't ask for needed help!

I know that the waiting game is rather frustrating, but it is not uncommon.  Hang in there!
41 yrs old
ACLR: Jan. 12, 2006
Injury: Oct. 9, 2005 - Ruptured Right ACL, Impact Fractures, "Stretched" LCL
High Impact: Injured while whitewater rafting; Person fell on outstretched knee
Age 19: Chondromalacia

Offline brinny

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2006, 05:05:08 PM »
thanks to everyone who replied to my query--I feel a bit happier knowing that the delay does seem to serve a purpose.I was just  feeling that I wanted to get on with whatever treatment/torture ?? that lays ahead but can see that this delay may help longterm.I know that pro sportsplayers can be operated on quicker  but I suppose thats because their clubs want them back in action asap plus they are presumably at maximum fitness so working on the knee to get it in the best possible shape isnt needed

I ll just have to be patient and keep doing the exercises !!!!!

thanks to everyone

Brinny.