Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Cortisone and Muscle Deterrioration  (Read 1055 times)

Offline Emily

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Cortisone and Muscle Deterrioration
« on: March 18, 2003, 12:24:13 AM »
At my last visit to the ortho he was very concerned about my muscle wastage. My quads are dterriorateing very quickly even though I am doing all the PT i am suppsed to be doing. Since most excercises are very painful, he thinks if he would put a "bandaid" on my pain with a cortisone shot I would be able to get my muscle back better. Anyone else had the same problem with muscles? Did the cortisone help the pain enough to stop the wastage?

Thanks!
Emily
Right Knee- 10-14-03- LR, TTO, Scope, Plica excision
               4-20-04- Scope, screw removal, scar tissue clean up

Left knee- subluxing, maltracking & malaligned-not ready to start treatmet..

Offline Ross

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • it only hurts when I larf!
Re: Cortisone and Muscle Deterrioration
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2003, 12:51:48 AM »
Em, having been on the receiving end of a fair bit of cortisone one way or another, it is not the horror substance that it was thirty or so years back.  I take a daily holding dose of 5mg of prednisolone to enable me to function relatively normally due to the bursitis that seemed to flare up as a side issue to my latest little escapade (busted knee).  It keeps the discomfort to a level where I am able to perform a day's work, do my exercises and keep my squash from atrophying.

Injected cortisone into joints can sometimes be quite uncomfortable during the first forty-eight hours, normally they load the cortisone with a local anaesthetic (good) which wears off (not so good).  It is still streets away better than any operation and the risk of infection or damage arising out of the procedure is minimal.

The trick is to remember that the muscles are not what they feel capable of being while under the influence of a little chemical horsepower.  Take your exercise gradually and you will derive benefit, lots of repetitions of light exercise is much better than one heroic make or break effort, that's why the international sporting bodies are so keen to keep steroids out of sport!
I'm a grumpy old bear with a busted knee.  The growling you hear is my tummy rumbling!

support