Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: hoffa syndrome  (Read 1998 times)

Offline r.lewis

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
hoffa syndrome
« on: December 29, 2005, 11:39:43 PM »
I had an accident where I twisted my knee and it gave a huge click in feb 2002, I went to the hospital a day or so later because ot froze into position and the pain was unbearable. They gave me an x-ray in a&e and were going to put me straight into surgery for cartilage that night but I refused as I don't like hospitals and I didn't think it was that serious!! I had to go back to out-patients 2weeks later and had to have an MRI scan and in this scan they found a dodgy fat pack in there. I waited nearly 2 years for an operation to fix it I wasn't offered any alternative to surgery, please bear in mind  that I was only 22 at the time and had to give up my manual job as a landscape gardener. I went for my pre-op assessment and was told that it was Hoffa syndrome and that they were going to remove or trim the fat pack to stop the symptoms I was getting and that it was a 'simple procedure'. I asked if there were any side effects of the operation and the doctor said that I could be in pain for the rest of my life and that the operation could make it worse than it already was. Obviously by this point my knee was in a worse state than it was nearly 2 years previously when I hurt it. If I was told in more detail what the side effects were then i wouldn't have bothered with surgery at all as it is worse now. I went back twice after the op to see the consultants and was told by one of them that they 'butchered my knee to find the problem' and that they didn't actually remove or trim anything, He also told me that my knee was in better condition than his own! I went back the second time due to swelling and pain and saw a different doctor who had a look at my knee and said that I had a muscle that had wasted away, He couldn't explain why I was in so much pain and asked about the physio treatment I received after the op. But I was not sent for physio I was just given a sheet of exercises to do at home that obviously didn't work.
I have since been to my GP and been given painkillers and anti-inflamotaries, and surprise surprise he had received a letter from my consultant which stated that they had actually removed the fat pack and they would not do anymore on my knee, and that I would need painkillers for the rest of my life and that I needed to do exercises on it!! What on earth am I meant to think now?!!!
Has anyone had the same problems that I have had? And has anyone found a method of treating the kind of pain that I am experiencing?

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
    • My photo album
Re: hoffa syndrome
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 11:49:50 PM »
I had a problem with scar tissue in my fat pad and had to have it cut out. I still get some pain there but it is some better. It sounds like you need a new OS. Are you in the UK or the US? I dont know what else can be done for your problem but there has to be some way to  help you.By the way , it is called Hoffa's fat pad. That is the technical name for it and where Hoffa syndrome comes from.

good luck
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia