Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: What now????????  (Read 1915 times)

Offline babygirl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
What now????????
« on: March 18, 2003, 12:08:33 AM »
 >:(

Hello;

I posted that I had an MRi done.  I just got the results..and they showed nothing!
Yet my husband had to carry me in the house Sat, because I was in so much pain.....and I've had to spend every moment since in bed....icing and elevating.....and the results show nothing!  
Here is what the results said;

"a small joint effucsion is identified.  The patellar retinacula are intact.  There is a thinned appearnance of the cartilage along the undersurface of the patella.  No soft tissue mass or popiteal cyst formation is identified.  No focal marrow replacement is identified.  The medial collateral ligament and the lateral collateral ligament compleses are intact.  No osteochondral defects are identified.  The quadriceps and patellar tendons are intact.  The anterior cruciate and posterior cruciate ligaments are intact.
The anterior and posterior horns of the lateral meniscus are intact.  A small fabella is present.  There is a grade 11 signal changes in the posterior horn of the medial meniscus.  The anterior horn is intact.
I made an appointment tomorrow afternoon with a orthopedist.  Anyone suffer pain with normal MRIs?
I just burst into tears!  
jo
tripped and left knee  hit the corner of the wall.
Slowly had terrible pains over a few weeks.
Currently in Physical Therapy and wearing a leg brace.  Cortizone shot 3/18
The MRi showed no tear.

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
Re: What now????????
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2003, 12:56:33 AM »
It doesn't sound completely normal...thinning of the cartilage on the back of the kneecap isn't good.  Signal changes in the meniscus...that could be a lot of things.  But you're right--with the pain you're having you'd expect to have a three alarm MRI report.

Don't be too frustrated....I've had normal MRI's and turns out there were significant problems in my knee confirmed at arthroscopy.  X-rays can also be quite helpful filling in the gaps.  Be sure to ask your doctor about them.  

As for the rest, ask about patellofemoral syndrome--a good blow to the knee can unleash symptoms in what has otherwise been a well-behaved knee.  Also ask your OS about the impact of using this leg to make up for the other which doesn't function quite right (if I recall correctly).  Sounds like your case may be a bit of a challenge, but don't give up hope.  Pain is the body's way of saying "help me!" so keep listening to it.

Let us know what the doc says.  Ask him what he thinks could be going on, what he would do if it were HIS knee, etc.  Good luck.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2003, 05:14:16 PM »
I also have had MRIs that don't sound alarming, but have had problems that didn't show. My first MRI was pretty normal, but I ended up with surgery for infrapatellar contraction syndrome (the patella was completely scarred down) and a lateral release. My second MRI (one year later) didn't show much, but I am now waiting for another surgery for more scar tissue and some other repairs. I have patella baja which causes a lot of problems, but never shows on MRI (only on x-ray). So don't assume that your doctor will think there is nothing wrong. Let us know what he says.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline windbarb

• Forum Faithful
  • They call me Weather Bunny!
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2003, 06:38:10 PM »
Jo,

MRIs are only tools, not formulas for an easy diagnosis.  My MRI in December showed absolutely nothing, despite the fact that I was in constant pain and could barely walk.  The scope last week showed scar tissue... which doesn't show up on an MRI.  

But I think that there's more to the story with thinning of the cartilage under the patella and signal changes in the meniscus.  Since some tears and softenings don't show up at all on an MRI, the presence of anything at all indicates a problem.

Hang in there and see what the OS says!

Cheers,
Barb :)
1988-91: LK severe OSD, RK mild OSD
01/91: LK scope-flush. lingering pain
12/02: LK cortisone injection
3/03: LK scope-plica excision, partial synovectomy
11/04: L big toe cartilage/bone repair (fell)
now: L middle toe (broke; lingering pain), RK pain/swelling, neck pain/swelling

Offline neil

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2003, 12:30:24 AM »
jo
mri's and xrays and c scans are not always going to tell the whole story. communicate with your surgeon, explain what you are feeling and what you can not do. ask questions, seek second opinions and always try to impress what your injury is now prohibiting you from functioning.  does your knee swell or s it staying swollen? see if they will prescribe you an e stim/ tens machine, it helped me with relieving, slightly, pain but combined with ice it was the best i could do. the e stim/tens will help reduce wswelling and they may reduce your pain. i understand your frustration, i am living it just like you. rest as much as you can , and see if you can get crutches or even a walker. if you can not weight bear at least they would help. hang in there, and i hope you get some relief soon.
neil
9-13-02 - present, 4 surgeries to right knee. quad severed, piece of femoral condyle cut off, shaving of patella. had cartilage implant 9-22-03, fluid drain, cultures & manipulation10-21-03

Offline babygirl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2003, 07:10:48 PM »
You guys are great!  Thanks for all the support through the replies!  It means a lot!
Well, I went to the ortho yesterday.
At first he came in, looked at my MRIs and said that I had a tear.  Then he moved my leg around and said he didn't think so, because I was okay with  him moving it around(it's more weight bearing and walking that hurts....and I do have lack of sensation there.
.)

I have been babying my leg for days, and it's only through use that it gets unbelievably painful.  I am not talking about jogging.......I mean just walking across the street........and even more painful if I am carrying anything.

So, he said that I should work through the pain with therapy......(although I get intense pain just trying to walk)  He said that I have to keep moving it and that keeping it still would hurt it more.

They gave me a cortizone shot in my knee and an neoprene knee brace....it's big!  and sent me on my way.
My parents came to stay with me for a few days, to help with the baby...so, my husband can go to work.  They are doing my lifing for me.
I am afraid that they will leave and the pain will come back in full force, when I try to do too much and I'll be back where I started.

I hope that the cortizone shot will help.  The brace does take some of pain away.  Feels tight and more stable.
They said it coud take 3 or 4 days for the shot to help......so keep your fingers crossed.

And thanks soooooooooo  much!!!
tripped and left knee  hit the corner of the wall.
Slowly had terrible pains over a few weeks.
Currently in Physical Therapy and wearing a leg brace.  Cortizone shot 3/18
The MRi showed no tear.

Offline BoxerDog

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
    • Plymouth Boxer Dog
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2003, 06:32:58 PM »
Sorry to ask a stupid question (new here)....but what is an MRI?   I think I might need one of those doing on my knees, rather than just accept what the Dr said ("live with the pain!".

Any ideas how I can get one these MRIs done on my knees, bearing in mind I am in UK (Plymouth)?

Thanks
Vince

Offline Netty

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'day from Down Under.
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2003, 06:25:07 PM »
Hi,
It does say you have thinning under the patella and any small thing in the knee can cause pain. The pain is telling you something is not right so have it checked out.

Vince, an MRI is a magnetic resonance imaging.
It sort of takes a 3d picture of your knee and can usually detect where things are going wrong. Its one of those big machines where you lay on a bed and go into like a big donut shaped hole, you've probably seen them on TV. It doesnt hurt but is very noisy. Instead of one picture like an Xray, it gives you dozens of pictures. Hope this helps, Netty
Broke the cruciate and damaged the medial and lateral ligs playing softball.Hammy ACl recon Feb 2000(failed).Hammy ACL recon Aug 01(failed).Medial repair and Lateral loop Dec 01(failed).Still unstable

Offline eurofrenchie29

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • I miss skating.
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2003, 04:59:30 AM »
My question to you is this?  Have you had a scope done yet?  My knee surgeon gave me the option to have either an MRI or a scope.  In turn he also mentioned that sometimes an MRI doesnt always show what a scope can find and also vice versa.  Since there was such a long waiting list for an MRI I opt for the scope.  Thankfully they found what they needed to know.  I've always believed that pain is never in your head.  It's your body's built in warning system.  Don't ever let a doctor tell you there is nothing wrong when you are being carried around the house.  Get a seconed opinion.. find a good doctor in your area.  Sometimes a scope is worth having to find out what's wrong.  But be prepared to be off you feet for a few days.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2003, 05:03:14 AM by eurofrenchie29 »
Osmond Clark Aggravation Test Positive/Gr lV patellar femoral change/Gr ll medial tibial change/Scope in 2002/Future knee replace/Chondromalacia/Cronic Pain/All thanks to falling on some ice.

Offline T_bone

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • All I want for Christmas is my kneecap back!
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2003, 07:51:52 AM »
Follow your gut.  

From what I understand MRI's are hard to read when it comes to knees.  I work with radiologists and have had several MRI's myself.  The radiologist tells me that after surgery things get muddy (I've had 15 surgeries) but my OS thinks they're helpful.  I personally tend to go along with the guy who reads them everyday for a living (radiologist) but who knows.....

All I can tell you is that you know your body and go with what you feel.  My knee may be goofed up but it always speaks loud and clear to me.

Also, if you need to talk with someone call and ask to speak to the physician who read your MRI.  The docs I work with don't like discussing things with patients but if the patient is persistent they'll do it every time.

Good luck. :)

Offline Netty

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'day from Down Under.
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2003, 06:09:45 PM »
My surgeon wanted to do a scope. It was obvious I had done some real damage and he was sure I had torn the ACL. As this was my first ever real operation, I said to him if I was going to go through the stress of being knocked out and having my leg cut then I think he should fix it while he was in there. I couldnt see the point of having 2 surgeries, so he agreed to scope first and then fix it in the 1 op. Costs less too.
MRI's are hard to read once you've had surgery and you have screws and pins in there, the metal seems to make little ripples around the screws, like when you drop a pebble into water. Netty
Broke the cruciate and damaged the medial and lateral ligs playing softball.Hammy ACl recon Feb 2000(failed).Hammy ACL recon Aug 01(failed).Medial repair and Lateral loop Dec 01(failed).Still unstable

Offline cm

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2003, 01:12:48 AM »
When I went in to have my knee evaluated the doc also gave me the option of scope or MRI.   He warned that they might not be able to read anything on the MRI since I have pins in my knee from my previous ACL reconstruction.   However the good news was that if the MRI wasn't going to work they'd know immediately and woudn't complete the process or charge me (my insurance) anything for it.     You could see the ripples around the pins, but the technician said my precious OS did a good job of placing my pins so that future MRIs would still be readable - the whole meniscus area was clear.   The MRI showed a bucket handle tear of the medial meniscus - when my doc went in to fix it on Tuesday that's exactly what they found.    (So sometimes, anyway, they do work.)

The biggest disadvantage of an MRI is the cost (and possibly the time delay in having one approved and done.)   Otherwise, it's much like an extended x-ray - completely non-invasive.    It may show what the problem is, and it may not.    Because it's not guaranteed to show the problem, and doesn't fix anything - just identifies potential problems, insurance companies aren't really fond of them.        
Left knee ACL reconstruction w/hamstring graft and meniscus repair 10/00
Left knee bucket handle meniscus tear - partial meniscetomy 4/8/03

support