Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: My OATS procedure  (Read 1493 times)

Offline JillE1983

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • just another day in paradise
My OATS procedure
« on: December 28, 2005, 07:30:01 PM »
Hi everyone  :)  Thought I would update everyone on what has happened in the past few weeks.  I had my OATS on December 22.  When I got to the hospital, my OS didn't really know what he was going to find inside of my knee since the results of my X-rays and MRI's was pretty much inconclusive.  He was going to go in arthroscopically and either do an OATS or take a biopsy for ACI.  Luckily when I woke up I found out that he was able to the the OATS through the scope.  I was home later that afternoon and slept all evening and into the night.  I had a pain pump so I really didn't have that much pain, the biggest obstacle for me was eating and keeping myself hydrated, nothing sounded or looked appealing to me.  Now that I am 6 days post-op, I have a small amount of pain but have not yet taken a pain pill today, I just dont like the way they make me feel.  I have not used an ice machine or cpm, no brace.

I was fully expecting this surgery to be soooooooo much worse than it was.  I know I havent started PT yet or really had to do anything strenuous but I would reccomend this procedure.  I will be NWB for 6 weeks, luckily I just graduated from college so I don't have a job to get back to but if anyone knows about any jobs in the entertainment field, let me know.  :o

Jill

*23 years old*
1/99 menisectomy and debribment
10/04  microfracture (failed from day 1)
12/05 OATS procedure to repair a 1.2 cm lesion of  MFC

Offline bruisedkneecap

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: My OATS procedure
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 01:05:59 PM »
Jill,
Thanks for this update.  Please keep us posted on how things go over the next 6 weeks.  I think I may be having the same procedure so your information is very encouraging.

Take it slow- I have heard that is very important during those 6 weeks.
Roberta (Bruised Kneecap)

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 01:23:12 PM »
Jill,

Good to hear that things have gone so well for you so far.  Very encouraging....

The 6 weeks NWB will be a drag, but it is end result that you are looking for.  Good Luck.  ~Shade
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline JillE1983

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • just another day in paradise
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 01:22:24 AM »
I am about 3.5 weeks into my recovery and am starting to go a little bit crazy since I can't really do very much.  It has gotten easier to get around in the past few weeks and anytime someone at my house is going anywhere, I ask to go along...just for a change of scenery.  I go back to see my OS on the 24th and he said we will start talking about PWB...I think it is still early but I'm not the one who has had that many years of school and experience...I haven't begun PT yet.  My OS didn't want to start until I am PWB because he says "I don't want them to screw anything up" ha ha ha...I will keep you all up to date and let you know how PT is going

Jill
*23 years old*
1/99 menisectomy and debribment
10/04  microfracture (failed from day 1)
12/05 OATS procedure to repair a 1.2 cm lesion of  MFC

support