Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: End of 2005 and still only 80%!  (Read 924 times)

Offline jeannes

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
End of 2005 and still only 80%!
« on: December 28, 2005, 02:15:16 PM »
Had my knee surgery in May (allograft and torn both lateral and medial menisus).  I was doing great while I was in PT and on disability.  Since I came back to work and my insurance ran out for PT, I have been on my own.  I just concentrated on weight training, balance and increasing my cardio workouts.  I have my good days and bad but can't seem to get beyond this 80% mark.  The past few days, I have been in pain, taking many advils and can't work out.  Before my accident, I was very active and never had to worry about dieting.  Now that I am not active, I just keep gaining more and more weight which is putting me in a complete depression.  I want my life back and can't imagine why this is taking so long.  I actually woke up yesterday not even wanting to work out anymore because I don't know what is the point!  I don't want to start off the New Year being depressed.

Offline raquetball1

• Forum Faithful
  • RACQUETBALL--WALL TO WALL--INSANITY
Re: End of 2005 and still only 80%!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 01:08:54 AM »
Can you give us a tad more information on what you describe as eighty percent? 

Given a couple of caveats, ie I had no meniscal surgery, only acl recon, but I had a somewhat tougher recon by having the autopatellar type, I would say that at seven months I was not yet at one hundred percent.  I essentially judged this by 1.  walking ability....I'm a long-striding fast walker and downhills/uphills still bothered me at seven months post-op and 2.  how did it feel on the racquetball court...certainly not one hundred percent for hard plants and quick pivots. 

Are you keeping the weights the same as when you left PT, ie not increasing weights, just increasing reps?  When I decided to increase weights, things did not go well, but additional reps at same weight worked well.  Some of your increased body weight might be muscle mass.  I agree, though, keeping excess body weight off is pretty crucial.

Please take a look at some of the post-op diaries online and at the Cruciate board and you will see that the majority of acl recons are NOT one hundred percent at your stage post-op.  Things go slowly because you had major surgery in a crucial joint.  Yep, rehab and recovery is a slow, long process, but you're essentially, it seems, on track.  What I kept as my mantra when I thought things were going too slowly is: "Be careful and patient now and you WILL get back everything you had; don't be careful and patient now and you'll not get it all back." 

You have a two-fold mission....rehab your knee and keep your calorie intake down.  As a very active person, you know what hard work is and you can do it.  We all have/had our really depressing times, but if you keep your spirits up and "fight" back by working hard on both goals, you'll get past that eighty percent.  Takes time, is depressing, but you've got alot of people here who kknow what you're going through.  Keep posting and I beg you not to let today's discouragement get you down.  I'll be watching for your posts and wishing you better days. 
autopatellar acl recon Nov. 2004 at age 51

Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech.

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
Re: End of 2005 and still only 80%!
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 05:30:54 PM »
Jeannes

Hi, you seem to have a problem like many of us on this site.  Many of us were very active individuals until we hurt our knees, then the inactivity creates weight problems. 
You have to look at this as being 80% of the way there - that is GOOD!!  It means you only have 20% to go......
Look at the glass as half full not half empty...... Have you tried working out in a pool - that really helps alot of people and they seem to really enjoy it - might be an option for you also.....
Good luck and let us know how it is going....
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT