Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: ALLOGRAFT VS KNEE REPLACEMENT  (Read 1837 times)

Offline loriburns

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ALLOGRAFT VS KNEE REPLACEMENT
« on: December 28, 2005, 08:04:11 AM »
I WAS JUST WANDERING IF ANYONE OUT THERE HAS HAD AN ALOGRAFT?  I WAS TOLD I WAS EITHER GOING TO NEED THAT OR A TOTAL KNEE REPLACEMENT, AND I WAS JUST WANTING TO HEAR SOME REPLIES ABOUT BOTH PROCEDURES, SO IF ANYONE HAS HAD EITHER ONE OF THOSE PROCEDURES, COULD YOU PLEASE REPLY?  THANKS ::)
LORI

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: ALLOGRAFT VS KNEE REPLACEMENT
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 01:43:46 PM »
Allograft what?  cartilage?  For that, you'll find a lot of info in the cartilage plug transfer section below, under arthritis.  You may also want to do some more research.  If you're in the US, there are a few doctors with reputations as salvage experts - if there is a way to repair/regenerate articular cartilage, they know about it, and have tried it on the most extreme cases.  Depending on how much bone damage has been done, you may also be able to consider ACI.  I was told that if I don't have ACI within the next 6 months the bone would be too damaged to do it.  But I was also told to try ACI first, because if a cartilage allograft failed, the bone would be too damaged to go back to ACI, and I'd have no choice but a TKR.  I'm only 31 - not a great option.  If you're considering TKR you should look for doctors who've had a lot of experience with large lesions, shell allograft (where they transplant an entire femoral condoyle as one piece), PKR and TKR.

Good luck!
Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline loriburns

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 08:06:25 PM »
THANKS FOR THE INFO.  I AM IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA AND I THINK I HAVE HEARD OF A FEW SURGEONS WHO PERFORM THE PROCEDURE.  DO YOU BU ANY CHANCE KNOW OF ANY DOCTORS WHO I COULD GO TO TO GET ANOTHER OPINION?  THNAKS ;D
LORI

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 08:50:17 PM »
Lori -

You can find a surgeon using the main page here at kneeguru.  You can also visit carticel.com.  In their patient section they have a surgeon locator.  To be listed, a surgeon has to complete all advanced training.  They will grow cells for surgeons who have completed basic training, but won't give them referrals.

Another user (user name JG, real name Janice) in CA has mentioned a few names as being great for large lesions.  I haven't seen any of these docs, so I can't vouch for them personally, but here goes:
Bert Mandelbaum in southern cal, Dr. Bugbee also in southern cal, Dr. George Thabit in northern cal.

To do more research you can also visit Dr. Cole's website at cartilagedoc.org.  Go to resources and knee, and you will find a lot of info on articular cartilage health, damage, treatments, etc.  I think it's all at least a year old, but it provides a great education, and you can do as much additional research as you want.  You can also check out orthosupersite.com for new research.

And either way, if you haven't had a 2nd opinion yet, I'd recommend it before embarking on such significant surgery.  My local OS, who I think is great, simply hadn't handled many cases as extreme as mine.  I got the sense that I was a "stretch" for him.  So I found someone who offered all the surgical options and could advise me which was best, instead of only offering the procedures he can do.  The surgeon who will do my ACI was surprised I don't walk with a cane, due to my large lesions, but also started rattling off cases of people worse than me who he had treated sucessfully.  Big difference between that response and my local OS.  So don't jump into the operating room without doing your research. 

If I can help answer any questions, just let me know.
Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline loriburns

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2005, 06:43:34 AM »
thank u 4 your info.  i just need to find out as much information about these procedures before I attempt to have either one performed.  I have had soooooo many surgeries on both knees, and I am at the point that I dont know what to do, to deal with the pain or have a major operation and try to get the knee fixed.  What have you had dont to your knees> thanks.  LORI
LORI

Offline JG

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2005, 08:26:53 PM »
Lori,

Check out this site from Dr. William Bugbee:  http://medicine.ucsd.edu/ortho/procedures/allografting.shtml

He is in San Diego.  If you are in the SoCal area, he is the guy to see.  Mandelbaum is an ACI expert I think (my OS Dr. Thabit doesn't do ACI and recommended Mandelbaum if I wanted to persue that option).

Other than that, two other surgeons to consider seeing would be Dr. Brian Cole in Chicago and Dr. Minas in Boston.  They really specialize in the salvage procedures.  Dr. Thabit is more of a generalist, but has a subfocus on arthitis and doesn't do all the procedures such as ACI.

Janice
Sept-99 - L knee LR
Aug-02 - L knee LR/menisectomy
Apr-03 - L Knee Mosaicplasty Using Allograft (18 grafts)/LR/debridement/menisectomy; Right Knee menisectomy.
Apr-04 - L Scope - LR/Lysis Adhesions

Offline hopalongcasualty

• Forum Faithful
  • Today is a gift.That's why it's called the present
    • Left knee surgery
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2005, 09:59:06 PM »
Hi  Lorieburns,

If you go to the bottom of each post you can see the signature where most of us list our stats.  If you go to Profile and Profile options you can modify the signature section. 

Is you curerent condition OA or trauma related?  Are your lesions on the femur, tibial plateau ro both?  BBG and JG are right in getting other oppinions, especially from a "salvage doc" who offers ACI, OATS and mosaiaplasty.  If the lesions are unicompartmental PKR could be an option. 

What is your age range?  The younger you are the more likely a Allograft would be an option.  They tend to not like to put in TKR in younger active individuals, since we wear them out faster.

BTW Welcome to the board.

Hopalongcasualty
R Knee
83-LCL,ACL&Medial Meniscus tear
86-Debridment
87-TTT Houser Manuver
89-TTT Maquet Procedure*
92-Meniscus Tear
04-Supartz Injections
05-Contusion
L Knee
05-tibia & patella dislocation w/MCL tear & large lateral condyle defect
2-15-06 Lateral condyle osteochondral Allograft ::)

Offline JG

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2006, 04:46:56 PM »
Hopalong,

Did you read the website I posted for Lori?  It mentions the transplant list and times to transplant (7 days is the outside timeframe).  Bugbee is a pioneer in this and his primary practice is arthitis.  You really should find out if you are having an allograft at all or a fresh allograft at that.  I mean your surgery is scheduled...that just can't be with a fresh allograft.

Janice
Sept-99 - L knee LR
Aug-02 - L knee LR/menisectomy
Apr-03 - L Knee Mosaicplasty Using Allograft (18 grafts)/LR/debridement/menisectomy; Right Knee menisectomy.
Apr-04 - L Scope - LR/Lysis Adhesions

Offline loriburns

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2006, 11:34:54 PM »
I want to thank all of you for your help. I am going to see Dr. Bugbee as soon as I get it authorized by my primary care physician.  I have alreeady seen Dr Pedowitz, which is one of Dr. Bugbees associates.  Dr. Pedowitz is an awesome Dr. and I would refer anyone to him, he is absolutely GREAT.  I am only 36 so I dont know how good of an idea it would be to have a TKR, so i hope there is an alternative.  thanks again, LORI
LORI

Offline loriburns

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2006, 05:14:40 AM »
I think I may have given you all some misleading information.  I did not say I was scheduled to have surgery, just that the OS I was seeing has referred me to see Dr. Bugbee.  He mentioned to me that I would probably need a total knee replacenent or an allograft.  I am scheduled to see Dr. Bugbee, but not until the 7th of March.  That is the soonest they could get me in.  If you have any more info on either procedure, would you please let me know.  Thanks a million,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,LORI ::)
LORI