Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Haemarthrosis, Joint Effusion  (Read 1284 times)

Offline duds60

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Haemarthrosis, Joint Effusion
« on: December 27, 2005, 11:37:07 AM »
Hi I am new here and greetings to all.

After walking about 2 miles I developed a painful right knee but couldn't really identify any specfic area. It was also sore in my calf muscle and it was difficult to bend my leg past 90 degrees. The Doc sent me to a radiologist and he reported as follows,

"The right knee joint capsule is distended. There is furthermore displacement of the right supra patella pad and loss of definition of the hoffa’s fat pad at the right knee. These findings indicate the presence of a large joint effusion and/or haemarthrosis."

I am not able to see the Doc until the New Year and so I would appereciate someone telling what this might mean and the potetial seriusness of the problem.

Thanks in advance for any help.

duds60

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
Re: Haemarthrosis, Joint Effusion
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 11:41:06 AM »
Joint effusion is simply swelling in the knee. Fluid build up usually. I dont know what Hemoarthrosis is , sorry that I cant be of more help.

missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline duds60

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 11:52:48 AM »
Thanks Missy

duds60

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 01:12:47 PM »

"The right knee joint capsule is distended. There is furthermore displacement of the right supra patella pad and loss of definition of the hoffa’s fat pad at the right knee. These findings indicate the presence of a large joint effusion and/or haemarthrosis."

Hi ~ Effusion indicates swelling within the knee caused by injury which can be blood (haemo). So if you put both together it appears you have swelling in the knee which is bloody in nature. Has it been suggested the joint be drained to give you some relief or is that not done?...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

support