Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Remove all bandages?  (Read 5154 times)

Offline Megalo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Remove all bandages?
« on: December 25, 2005, 06:47:04 AM »
Hi,

I just got my ACL surgery done a few days ago and I was told to remove all my bandages 48 hours after the surgery.  I wasn't sure if I should remove the white tape like things across my stitches, but I did, figuring that they would need to be cleaned too.  I read on a site today that I should leave those tape type things on.  I just wanted to know if that was a problem, I'm guessing its a minor thing, but I'm kind of paranoid. 

Thanks

Offline Ferris

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
Re: Remove all bandages?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2005, 11:19:35 AM »
I had my bandages removed by the nurse the day after my ACL surgery before I was discharged but she left the steri-strips on and the dressing over the graft site so that any scabs wouldn't be disturbed.  However, if you have taken yours off it is probably ok.  If you are worried send somebody out to a chemist/drugstore to get some new steri-strips and dressings - speak to the chemist about the best choices - maybe get some waterproof dressings at the same time in order to shower (if you are allowed at this stage) as I wouldn't leave your scars/portals open to water at this stage (I wrapped my knee in clingfilm/saren wrap in order to shower even with the dressings as I was told not to get them wet for the first two weeks).  If you are worried then ring either your GP, nurse or OS to put your mind at rest.  If your wounds are not bleeding (there may be a slight spotting but nothing more) then you should be fine - just be careful and keep a close eye on your knee.  My steri-strips dressings fell off just after the first week but I could see that the wounds were dry and healing before then.

Rachel

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2005, 02:55:15 PM »
If they used stitches or staples you can remove the steristripes but it's safer to leave a little bandage like a Hansaplast on. That way you're stitches stay clean! If there are no stitches or staples then you should call your GP or a nurse to put them back on! Otherwise you can rip open your portal wounds. Or use Opsite spray or something alike, it puts a film over your holes and is like a little Hansaplast.

Helena
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Offline Megalo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 08:51:48 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  The first time i showered actuallly, I left the little strips on.  I can see nice scabs forming over my inch and a half long incision, should I shower while covering the site up (saran wrap, waterproof dressings)?  Also, Is it ok to use alcohol pads to clean the portals?

Thanks again

Offline sparkle999

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 02:25:16 PM »
hi
I wrapped my knee in cling film and used antiseptic wipes to clean where I couldn't shower.
xx
35 y/o
ACL rupture
loose body under kneecap
impaction fractures
injury 19th march 2005
scope 9th may
recon 24th october 05

Offline kittent1211

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2005, 05:36:45 PM »
My OS told me to let the steri-strips fall off on their own.

Teresa