Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Medical Careers?  (Read 10910 times)

Offline pjbaker

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Medical Careers?
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2006, 11:35:42 PM »
Hey I am a Certified Nursing Assistant...Got my license in May, but haven't been able to use it due to my knee hope to be able to start work in January. I also just applied to Nursing School, I will find out in March if I got in. I am so excited.

PJ
Chronic Dislocations since 14.
August 2004 - Right LR
November 2004 - Left LR
October 27, 2005 - Left VMO Advancement
October 20, 2006 - Left Fulkerson TTT SUCCESS!!!!
May 11, 2007 - Right Fulkerson TTT

Offline christina-Leeann

• Regular Poster
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2006, 04:39:02 AM »
I too am a Certified nursing assistant... but will be off for 2 months due to a TTT on december 13... i go to a local tech school hoping to transfer in cardinal stritch (WI) im doin pre core classes now hoping to be a OMGYN nurse... but later on in life i would LOVE to go to med school...
Continous PT for 3 years
LR- R 02/06
More PT for 8 months Post-op
TTT- R 12/13/06

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • OSCAR
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2006, 05:33:17 PM »
Hey,

I'd have loved to become a doctor (not sure exactly which dscipline though) but didn't have the grades or level of comittment required.

So I had to get my PhD in another area but hopefully next year I'll be eligible for the NHS Gateway to Leadership scheme.

Laura x
Left knee surgery
08/06/02 - L/Release
13/08/03 - Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05 - Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06 - Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06 - RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07- Excision of scar tissue
30/07/07 - PKR suggested by OS (no date yet)

Offline choclab

• Regular Poster
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2006, 04:34:07 AM »
I am a nurse in an office that does women's health...so we deliver babies....being the only nurse in the office is the reason I haven't been able to return to work so soon...needed to be able to walk for 8 hours without pain and swelling....I love the babies and because we get to see the mom's for several months before delivery we get to know our patients fairly well...my boss has been telling eveyone that he kicked me in the knee...i've been in this office for 23 years so my patients expect to see me when they come in... :D
ruptured tendon calf in Brazil in '03
medial and posterior menisectomy 10/06
lateral release patella 10/06

Offline clay

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2006, 02:48:22 AM »
I've been a Paramedic for 18 years now. ;D  Work for a helicopter flight service out of a university hospital / level 1 trauma center / childrens hospital.  See myself as a "jack of all trades ... master of none" as we encounter anything from premature babies to very sick cardiac patients on heart assist devices to nasty trauma victims.  Love the fact that every day is different and challenging ..... could never have a 9-5 "desk job" !

Oh ... and as far as my signature goes ... the motocross career didn't really "pan out" ... just ask my ACL   ;)

Clay
Less than graceful dismount from offroad motorcycle - 11/06
Complete ACL tear / torn medial meniscus - seconds thereafter
ACLR (Patellar autograft) / meniscus "cleanup"   01/07

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2006, 04:14:39 PM »
I'm a certified athletic trainer working as a physician extender in a sports medicine/orthopedics practice.  I love what I do, it's different than working for a school or university, but right now it's better for me.  Less hours, less time spent on my feet, and higher pay.  I'm hoping to go on and get my doctorate in Physical therapy. 
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

fawn2388

« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2007, 05:20:09 AM »
I'm going into medicinal chemistry with pharmD.

Basically Nuclear medicine.

morgan4219

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2007, 04:15:47 AM »
I first wanted to be a physical or occupational therapist, but for the past 2 years i have wanted to be an othropedic surgeon.  So much that i shadow one all the time and read to learn all about it.

Offline Lorilou

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2007, 06:17:42 PM »
I am a RN and also a certfied athletic trainer. In college I always felt sorry for my athletes when they had to have knee surgery. Little did I know that I would become a personal expert on the issue........
~Lori  :)

Offline Si_paramedic

• Regular Poster
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2007, 10:00:02 PM »
I'm a Paramedic Supervisor and have been in the Ambulance Service 20 years, more than half my life!  Wouldn't change it for anything :)
Ruptured ACL (femoral end) 2000
Inconclusive MRI 2002
Arthroscopy with meniscus repair 2005
Arthroscopy with meniscus repair 2006
Had ACLr  June 29th 2007
The marathon has begun!

surgtech1956

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2007, 02:26:29 AM »
I am a Surgical Technologist - or was.  I'm here, because I fell at work off a lift onto my right knee last 5/30/06 - haven't worked in job since - have been on work restrictions of seated work

Offline alex2004

• Regular Poster
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2007, 03:03:50 AM »
I wanted to be an orthopeadic surgeon when i first started at the university of florida, then i wanted to be a pediatric oncologist, then i decided that i wanted to spend a lot of time with my patients so i decided on physical therapy. I am currently an applied physiology and kinesiology major. I graduate next year and will be getting a doctorates on physical therapy. Hopefully i will specialize in neuromuscular diseases, i really likethat and im doing research on cortical stimulation and rehab for stroke patients, whihch falls under neuromuscular. Alex
right knee - lateral release in 2004

left knee - small meniscus tear and patellar cartilage tear. Had surgery in 2005 where it all got fixed and had a lateral release. Knee hurts more now that it did before surgery, chondromalacia.

Offline clare hegg

• Regular Poster
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2007, 06:37:54 PM »
I am currently going to school to become a forensic pathologist.  Probably not what you were talking about, but a medical doctor non-the-less.   ;D
11/01- Injury
1/02- Surgery:LR/partial synovectomy (OS #1)
6/07: lateral retinicular repair (OS#2)
2/12: Pain is back (extreme shift and tilt)
8/May/12: Lateral patellofemeral ligament reconstruction, w/chondroplasty, lysis, chondral fracture repair and plica release (OS #3)

brianne

« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2007, 03:29:50 AM »
I have always wanted a career in nursing, but I let my parents talk me out of it.  I am going to meet with an advisor next week to find out what classes I need to take to get into a nursing program.  Since I already have my B.A. I know I have a lot of classes out of the way.

support