Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Radiologist was wrong??? A little long, but please read!  (Read 1548 times)

Offline bloveet7

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Radiologist was wrong??? A little long, but please read!
« on: December 22, 2005, 06:41:29 PM »
I am a 29yr/M and here is my situation.  I injured my right knee playing ice hockey, when I injured it, it felt liked the knee dislocated and then popped back into place, I heard two pops, and then I went to take a stride and I could bear some weight on it but there was a sharp pain and I fell to the ice.  A few minutes later I was able to skate over to the bench on my own, but the knee was really sore.  After the game I was able to walk on it with a limp, but it was really swollen.  I used the R.I.C.E. treatment for the next 3 days, and the swelling starting to go down, but their was still some pain, mostly on the outside of the knee. and every now and then when walking  it felt like the knee would buckle.  So I decided I should get it checked it out.  I went to my Dr. and he had X-Rays done and also had me lay on the table and moved my leg around and pulled on it, and there was no pain.  He said he thought I probably just sprained it really bad, but because of the buckling of the knee he ordered an MRI.  So the next week I had the MRI done and received the results a few days later.  The Radioligist report read. 1. Posteroirhorn tear of the medial meniscus.  2. Significant partial tear of the ACL. 3. Contusion of the femoral condyle.  So I called and made an appt with the OS.  The OS specializes in shoulders and knees, and as been in practice for 24 years and as also served as a physician for the US Ski team on several occasions.  .So yesterday I went to my appt and the OS came in and said that he had looked at my MRI and he said I think the radiloligist was wrong, I can't find a meniscus tear or an ALC tear, I only see the bone contuion  He asked if I had any pain, and I told him it only gets a little  sore by the end of the day.  He had me lay on the table and moved my leg around and then had me sit up and he felt around the knee and asked if it hurt, and I said no.  He then checked the ACL for laxity and he said he felt no laxity in the ACL.  I told him about how it feels like there is pressure when I fully extend the leg and how it sometimes buckles and he said from the MRI and the exam he cant find anything wrong. He said "your knee seems ok, and I wouldnt advise surgery,, I am going to label it as a sprain of the ligament and as bone contusion, and if it gives you any other problems come back and see me."  He also said I can go back to ice hockey as soon I felt comfortable.  I was just wondering if any one else has had situations where the OS has said that the radiologist was completely wrong and I was wondering if anyone else that has had a confirmed meniscus tear or ALC tear was able to walk immediately after the injury.  The MRI results just scared me and I thought for sure I was going to have to have surgery, so when the OS told me my knee was fine, I was shocked.  Any input would be appreciated.  I am planning to play hockey next monday to see how it feels.

Thank you in advance for reading this and for your replies!!

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Radiologist was wrong??? A little long, but please read!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 06:59:09 PM »
Most people can walk after a meniscus tear (many have no idea when it even happened), and many people can walk after tearing their ACL.  Some people actually never have the ACL reconstructed after tearing it.

Is the doctor right or wrong?  If you're unsure, get a 2nd opinion.  But it sounds like he did the physical exams for  both a meniscus tear and for ACL damage.  Remember that MRIs are relatively new technology.  I had my 1st meniscus tear diagnosed without an MRI at all - just the physical exam.  If you had gone to the OS first, he would have done the physical exam.  If the esam indicated a problem (or if the x-rays did) then he may have ordered the MRI.  And many OSs never read the radiologists report - they look at the film themself.  Frankly, many of us kneegeeks would be ticked if our OS didn't read the film himself.

But unless you're restricted by your insurance company, a 2nd opinion will probably put your mind at ease.
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 07:53:56 PM »
Hello,

I have had my OS disagree with my radiologist report before.  It is hard when you get two differing opinons.  I try to go by what my OS says, just because she is the expert.  My OS doesn't even care if I bring the radiologist report with me to my appointments.  She makes her own judgment call by reading the films herself.  I agree with Jess that a second opinion would be good if at all possible.  Good luck to you!

Casey
LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 08:41:13 PM »
Hi ~ I'm one of those people with a confirmed medial meniscal tear & abnormal signal in the lateral meniscus as well as a ruptured ACL & tear in the MCL, condyle contusion, Baker's cyst -the whole 9 yards. I admit when it happened I sat on the ground for a couple of minutes but then got up & got back on my horse (from whose back I slid to cause the accident in the first place). I stayed at the farm for a while sitting still, but eventually managed to hobble to the car & drive home.

I tell people I had a knee the size of a lopsided melon but the next day I walked into my internist's office - limping - but walking. It was about the most painful injury I've ever had but since I don't care to go to the doctor's, my decision was based on the appearance of my right knee & the awful pain. When the Doc suggested Celebrex, I told him upfront that I needed PAIN meds.

Within a few days, however, I was walking slowly but with little limp & it's been all uphill from there. I've had no repairs done as I'm "too old" for ACL reconstruction says my OS & the meniscus, although bothersome, is not bad enough yet for me to want surgery & I don't limp. But remember....at my age (almost 68), I'm not playing hockey. Riding doesn't make me wish I had an ACL. With all my activities my OS is pleased with the strength in my leg & it's been months since my knee buckled - w/o the brace.

For me, the injuries are doable; for you, I suspect you'd like to feel your knee is going to carry you along for many years to come. Wishing you well...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.