Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: wanting to share my knee journey with those who understand!!  (Read 1076 times)

Offline ranchmomof6

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
wanting to share my knee journey with those who understand!!
« on: December 23, 2005, 09:36:34 PM »
Hi, my name is Joy.I'm 37, stay at home mom to 6 kids, my hubby and I live on a ranch.

We were in a auto accident 1 1/2 yrs ago. We were hit by drunk drivers. I sustained a grade 4 tibial plateau fx, along with grade 4 chrondromalecia of my patella, and femoral condyle. All of my meniscus had to be removed as it was in pieces. I had a partial knee replacement when they attached the cadaver bone to the crushed tibia. My left foot also was crushed as were 4 toes. I had a large piece of bone  removed, and it does not help my knee stuff at all!

Basically, my knee is a mess. In this time that has followed, I am already in need of a knee replacement. I have to use a cane to walk most of the time.

I am surrounded with people who try to understand, but don't .
I am in search of people with advice on how to cope, and understanding of what I am facing, and will cont. to face. Most say, well get your knee replaced, and you'll be as good as new!!! I try to stay optomistic, but am not into delusions!! My ortho has been very upfront about the severity of my injury, and he is a good doctor.

Any listening ear would be much appreciated!!

Thanks~
Joy

Offline Puzzledbubbles

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: wanting to share my knee journey with those who understand!!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 10:44:13 PM »
Hi Joy,

Ive just read your entry. I have had knee trouble for years but mine is nothing like yours. I dont undestand how it feels to have this kinda problem thrown on you in an accident but i do understand knee pain.

My best advice is to research everything as much as you can, i dont think that anything prepares you for an operation but if you can reserach it and get it straight in your head it might be easier.

I dont know about success rates or anything like that, but if you want to chat or anything then just let me know.

Basically, im an ear if you want one, although, from this message i can see that i dont know much that can help you  :)

Puzzled xx
Knee probs for 5 years before my first surgery of an Elmslie Trillat and a latera release.
3 years post-op still suffering and now thinking about surgery on my right knee

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2005, 03:18:06 AM »
Hi Joy, I too began this knee journey as the result of a car accident. A woman ran a stop sign right in front of my car. She was so close that there were no skid marks. I have had several surgeries and lots of complications and now I have developed autoimmune illnesses as a result of all of the trauma. It is tough to be healthy one day and drastically different the next. I just try not to think about it. I have never asked why me, it just happened, stuff happens. It could have been worse. My OS has offered me a PKR but I am not ready for that yet.

If you want to chat, feel free to IM me. I am sorry that you are having such a hard time.
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2005, 11:48:51 AM »
Hi Joy ~ Although it's difficult, I'm sure, to have to deal day in & day out with the severity of injuries you have, you'll find that there are so many people on this website who are kind, compassionate & very knowledgeable & who will offer you all the support in the world.

This website is so full of excellent information & I see that Puzzled's already suggested you take advantage of what's here to learn as much as you can so you're your best advocate.

Wishing you well & a release from pain...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline smeagol

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2005, 02:58:20 PM »
Ive had knee trouble for years, but nobody knows what started it (i may have done something to it when ive fallen off my horse, but i dont remember anything specific).  I was told this summer that im well on my way to getting a knee replacement (im 19, so it doesnt look good).  i know what you mean about it, its not nice having it all the time, especially in your circumstances, in an accident.  i wish you the best of luck with everything, and like the others said, theres plenty of people here to listen, me included. 
Charlotte
About 10 years of pain, 3 arthroscopys, and still no help with my condition or my current problem.  And I'm only 20!