Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Major pain In both knees-Patelltofemoral they say ? I have a question..  (Read 1144 times)

Offline claudius

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Just back from my Ortho.. my third visit after 8 weeks of PT.  I am a 40 year old female in good shape, have never been a runner... etc.  After all the PT, my knees are as bad as ever.  My OS felt my knees with his hand and hears the crunching and clicking.  Gave me my second Cortisone shot in right knee and first in left knee.  Gave me an non-steroid anti-inflammatory.  Side effects don't look great now that I've read the warnings for the presciption.
My question is, if he says the cartilage probably looks like "tuna fish" which is why its so irritating.  Won't the pain always be there unless it is smoothed out ?
He also testing me for Lymes and Rhematoid arthritis.  No MRI yet, just x-rays.
Thanks for your help

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: Major pain In both knees-Patelltofemoral they say ? I have a question..
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 02:52:00 PM »
Hmm... good questions, I hope some other people will reply. I'm not a doctor , just a fellow knee pain patient. 

If your cartilage is all torn to shreads... tuna fish... there must be a reason why.  Smoothing out the cartilage would help, provided that is where your pain is coming from... but if you dont' address the cause of the damage to the cartilage than it will just come back again.  :(  What you need to find out is why the damage is occuring.  It can be related to a tramatic injury.. car accident, blow to the knee etc, as well as maltracking of the patella where there is too much pressure on one area of the kneecap.

An MRI probably wouldn't be too helpful in this regard, they are really better for menisci and ligament injury.

Hopefully the meds and the cortisone will help... bring you some relief

Hang in there, happy Holidays

Wishing you a less painful 2006

Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

harry78

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 05:30:07 PM »
I think that if your knees are giving you problems with living your normal life there could be chance to have Meniscal transplants to replace the damaged structures- possibly needing further arthroscopies in both knees to see what is really the cause. This could even be down to wearing the wrong shoes and chosing proper orthotics to cure it.
Get inquisitive about your condition, especially as both knees are affected.
Good luck Harry

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 08:10:41 PM »
Harry, tuna fish would refer to articular cart. not the meniscus. They do not wear exactly alike (I dont think) If the articular cart. is causing your pain, Linds is right, smoothing it out would help but you do need to find out what caused the damage. 

Do you have other joints that hurt? Just wondering about the testing for Lyme and Ra. I test negative for RA but they still think that I have it and fibromyalgia. It ain't fun somedays.

good luck
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

harry78

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 01:26:22 PM »
Whoops, I'll stick to Cruciate ligaments then.

Offline claudius

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2005, 11:43:13 AM »
 :) THANK YOU FOR ALL THE HELPFUL SUGGESTIONS AND THOUGHTS ! Happy Holidays ! :

support