Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Swelling from quad movements ?  (Read 4959 times)

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
Re: Swelling from quad movements ?
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2005, 09:48:27 PM »
Boydy,

Had to fire my pt as she would not follow the surgeons protocol.  She wanted to use weights and he said no way because I have that lesion behind my patella.  Since I've been in this pain cycle so long we are going very slow with my knee and all that I'm doing is walkiing on a light surface and/or recumbent biking.  My surgeon really likes me using the recumbent bike.....

Today, for instance I decided not to put my brace on first thing and just wore a knee sleeve so I would not have to wear the brace for such a long period of time.  Well, hubby and I went out for a walk (with brace on) and I had to return home due to the pain that my lesion was causing.... Grrrrrr!!! But, the brace holds my patella in place - so that is good.   So, guess that I won't try that tirck again.

We just have to find out what works.  Here physios use weights, uprightstationary bikes and tread mills and don't understand why a surgeon does not like these machines.  They do step-up, lunges and wall slides and if you do not do them they don't know what else to do with you.  So that is what a person faces here - so, these are all the things that have gotten my knee into most of these problems and now we are trying to get my quads back without me feeling any pain during or after exercising and so far it is working.  If I have a bad day then no exercising that day - just resting, icing and elevating.... It is slow work, but hopefully the pain cycle will be broken once and for all......

Agree with you Boydy & Karen and I've got my fingers X'd that we all get our quads back again........
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 09:52:52 PM by shade »
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline Boydy

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2005, 11:42:50 AM »
Karen & Shade,
am leaving in the morning for the Christmas break, so wishing you both a very Merry Christmas  ;D  and will check in again in a few days when I get back. Am still trying to get used to my new brace, really having trouble with it if I have to bend my leg at all, (even just sitting down), so have reverted back to wearing the sleeve, (hubby is going mad and saying I have to use the brace more and just get used to bending my leg while wearing it) ::). We will see how I go over the holiday. Yes Karen, I promise to do our 'wimpy quad sets' while I am away, I think you are right with that one, that is the least that I should do.  Shade I hope you have a bit more luck with your brace as well, it will be a telling time for us all over the next few weeks. Happy Holidays !!!!   :D
Boydy
Arthroscope to repair meniscus tear, 10/04
Arthroscope for Lateral Release & repair another medial meniscal tear, 2/05
"Time heals all wounds"
Gosh I sure hope so !!

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2005, 02:38:32 PM »

Boydy and Karen,

Hope you both have great knee days through the holiday season. 

Merry Christmas
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline KarenS

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2005, 06:44:53 PM »
Wishing you both great knee days throughout the holidays, too! (And great knee days to anyone else who is reading this thread. :) )

Talk to you next week!