Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: acl allograft, possible for parts in knee to move?  (Read 1066 times)

Offline med1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
acl allograft, possible for parts in knee to move?
« on: December 20, 2005, 12:28:55 PM »
My allograft is almost 2 y/o now.  Around the second week of Nov. I fell on it hard, again.  I didn't think too much of it then but recently it feels as if  inside the bone is moving around when I walk.  It is still very tender to touch and I still can't even touch it without sharp pain.  I see no bruising but obviously it is there.  Is it even possible for it to move around like that or is it my immagination?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2005, 01:15:04 AM by med1 »

Offline jb-knee-geek

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Re: acl allograft, possible for rod in knee to move?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 05:32:32 PM »
what rod are you referring to?

never heard of a rod used when an allograft is used. are you referring to the interference screw?

if so, unlikey these come loose after 2 years, your bones should have grown over them.

I have heard the one in the shin bone can cause some pain and is easily removed.....

good kuck
torn RK ACL March 2001, surgery Aug. 14 2006, after 4 knee sprains since Oct. '05.  Allograft, ~40% medial meniscus removed, some wear in the trochlear groove. Everything else looks good.

Post-op diary: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=29749.

harry78

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 06:39:31 PM »
I first thought that 'rod' was a person, anyway I think that you need to see what your definition of a rod is, or maybe you are referring to the graft itself? And also what type of graft was it?

Offline med1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 04:26:00 AM »
o.k. i get it. there is a bone plug thru femur and tibia.  I got a cadavers acl.  So what could be making this knee so sore and why does it feel like there is something in there moving around in the bone?  Is it my immagination? ???  I'm a little afraid of telling my O.S. about it even though it has been so long since I fell on it .  I hate tests and he loves to send me for mri's!!!

harry78

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 01:31:16 PM »
Oh right, so you may have caused some movement in the place where the graft/screws are attached, but is there any anterior-posterior movement in the leg, like when it was before the operation? This could help understanding what is going on and how serious it is, I've got to say you're unlucky to fall on it again.
From what I've read, the chances of the ACL reconstruction graft and screws being absorbed by the bone around it and maturing is a long time, even up to 4-5 years after the operation. So I recommend getting the lachman test done again and others to see if you need revision surgery.
Harry

Offline jb-knee-geek

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 06:08:17 PM »
since you have pain from a fall, you should get that checked out. Start with an X-ray.

Could it be a screw? Perhaps, could it be someting totally unrelated? Could be.

If your knee was unstable, that may be cause for concern for your ACL.

torn RK ACL March 2001, surgery Aug. 14 2006, after 4 knee sprains since Oct. '05.  Allograft, ~40% medial meniscus removed, some wear in the trochlear groove. Everything else looks good.

Post-op diary: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=29749.