Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Aneasthetics and how to prepare  (Read 2017 times)

Offline j_smi001

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Aneasthetics and how to prepare
« on: December 20, 2005, 07:30:21 PM »
I need an early New Years Resolution, please........

I had bilateral arthoroscopies and it took me a very long time to come round from the anesthetic -also I remember 'waking up' with the thing still stuck down my throat then drifted off again - I also remember very vividly some nutter rubbing his knuckles down by breast bone - and it hurt!

I really don't want to repeat this experience if at all possible.  I don't know but suspect I will be out for some time having the tibia/fibula osteotomy and lateral release.

After the op last time the surgeon asked me whether I had taken anything - I don't smoke, I am totally tea-total and protest at having to take a paracetomol.  I had however just got off a plane three hours previous!

I am wondering what I can do to make sure I have a comfortable anesthetic?  I am asthmatic (but rarely need to take my inhaler about once a month) 

Any suggestions on how to improve getting over the anesthetic - would breathing exercises help?  I'm limited with physical aerobic exercise, hence why I am having my leg done.

Thanks Jak
2002 plica removal, chrondoplasty both knees and LR right knee. Derotational tibial osteotomy rt leg 07/04/06.  Awaiting for left leg to be rotated and have no more knee pain!

Offline SarahJane

• Forum Faithful
Re: Aneasthetics and how to prepare
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 07:37:47 PM »
Hi Jak,   I don't know much about your Surgery so am not sure if this helps or not ...

I don't recover very well from General Anaethestic, I get very sick and take days to wake up properly, so I had a spinal block for my recent Surgery and it was absolutely brilliant!   (they had to persuade me!  I didn't like the sound of it at all, but I agreed to give it a go)

It was a bit scary and daunting to be awake throughout, but I think they gave me some kind of relaxant (like Valium) which helped.

I did say that if they had to start any drilling, then they had to knock me out completely - but in truth, I would have been completely unconcerned if they had brought in a pneumatic drill (sp?).  (lovely Valium!)

Plus it was strangely nice to be able to chat to the Surgeon whilst he Operated!

Any chance they would let you have a Spinal block?

Sarah
Jan 05: Avulsed Patella Tendon (YUK)
Wired together Feb 05
Constant pain after Cast removed
2nd Op Nov05 to remove a 2cm piece of Bone from my Patella Tendon!!!
2 months later STOP physio due to Pain & Crepitus
Feb 06: Ultrasound shows NO Patella Tendon!
No plans for the future! :-/

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • OSCAR
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 08:27:13 PM »
Hi,

I'm lucky in as much as I deal quite well with general anaesthetics. What I can tell you is that you may have a different anaesthetist who may use a different combination of drugs to put you to sleep, so you may find waking up easier and may feel different after another GA.
I was offered a spinal anaesthetic for my last surgery and refused point blank. I am scared silly of being aware of what's going on during sugery, although I did ask my OS that if he insisted I had it (on the advice of the anaesthetist) then I wanted to sit up and watch what he was doing! Twisted, I know!
Maybe you could talk to your OS and your anaesthetist should come and talk to you before your surgery anyway. He can reassure you and you can tell him the problems you had before. This way, the same thing shouldn't happen again.

Regards,

Laura
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05-Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06-Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06-RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07-Excision of scar tissue
29/05/15-Arthroscopy
02/03/20-Left transfemoral amputation

Offline j_smi001

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 08:45:56 PM »
Thanks both,

Not sure whether being awake is an option as they are going to break the leg, twist it round and screw it back together in the right place?
2002 plica removal, chrondoplasty both knees and LR right knee. Derotational tibial osteotomy rt leg 07/04/06.  Awaiting for left leg to be rotated and have no more knee pain!

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 09:12:51 PM »
I doubt you want to be awake for that.  But even with a spinal (epidural) you can still be sedated so that you're totally asleep.  I had that for my 1st knee surgery 15 years ago.  I woke up at the end, when a nurse had my leg in the air and the dr. was wrapping it up.  Was very loopy, said "that's my leg" in a drugged up, dopey voice, and fell back asleep.  I woke up again in the recovery room.

The most important thing is to talk to the anesthetist.  In the US you have to meet him/her before going into the OR.  Let him know about your past experiences so they can consider the options.  You can also ask for an anti-nausea medication to go in with the anesthesia - that helps a lot of people avoid the nasty experience if being sick to your stomach for the next day or 2.  If your last surgery was at a different hospital you may want to call over there so that you can tell this anesthesiologist what you had last time and reacted to.  Otherwise he'd just be guessing and hoping to avoid a repeat.

best of luck with yoru surgery.
Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline kendra

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2005, 01:28:12 PM »
I just had my first surgery and spent a good amount of time talking with the anesthetist about my options. 

General anaesthesia often has the side effect of a topsy-turvy feeling in the stomach.  You have to get all the tubes put down your throat because they are relying on gas mostly in combination with a cocktail of IV drugs to keep you asleep.  The gas can cause asthmatics to weeze, which is why they ask you to bring your inhaler.

The spinal block is more localized and does not require the tubes - you feel no pain from there on down.  The drawback is that people under 40 (especially women) have a high likelihood of waking up with the worst migrane headache imaginable, so bad that you can't sit up.  The risk of this happening goes away if you've been pregnant.  You are kept asleep mostly via IV drugs.

It took me a long time to come to in the recovery room, I also had GA.  Time isn't supposed to be effected by whether you go GA or spinal.

Find out before you get to hospital exactly what you had last time.  Try to talk with the anesthetist a couples day before to give the person the heads up and time to get some other plans together for you.  It doesn't sound like the problem is on your end.

Good luck to you.
11/6/05 Grade 3 tear PCL/MCL in horse accident, tore both menisci
12/15/05 PCL/MCL recons, menisci fixed
3/28/06 Finally over the hump in rehab, things are lookin' good!

Offline j_smi001

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005, 08:18:05 PM »
Thanks all, some very sound advice.  I will get in contact with the hospital to see hich anesthetic I had last time as I really don't want that again.  The thought of the GA is a greater fear than the op but you all done much to alay that so thank you. 

Offline kittent1211

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2005, 02:50:05 AM »
I can explain the knuckle rubbing on your chest....it's a test to see how OUT you are.  It's to see how and if you react to pain stimuli...the fact that it hurt was a GOOD sign although, I'm sure it didn't feel GOOD at the time.  If it doesn't hurt...that's when the person might be in some trouble.

Teresa

Offline j_smi001

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2005, 06:52:29 PM »
Thanks Teresa - A little explaination goes a long way - I had a visible bruise on my breast bone for some time but worth it as it woke me up.  I also had a bloody mark on the left side of my neck where I presumed a needle had gone in at some point, you don't know what that might have been I didn't notice it until I got home? 

Offline kittent1211

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2005, 07:15:34 PM »
I don't know about the neck thing...sorry.  But that knucke rub on the chest thing also makes a great self defence weapon if you are ever attacked.  You know how much it hurt when you were unconscious?....well, try it fully awake....YOUCH!!!!  Stops an attacker dead in his tracks...hahahaha

Teresa

support