Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Intense pain  (Read 948 times)

Offline babygirl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Intense pain
« on: March 17, 2003, 12:59:35 AM »
Hello;

I wrote on another board and decided to post here too.
I am so nervouse.....and apprehensive!
I fell a few weeks ago....knee first into a corner of a wall.
The corner hit me hard in the center of my knee.

A week later I had problems with weight bearing.
I could barely walk if I tried to carry anything.

Then I went to physical therapy......and she did a range of motion.  She had me lay on my stomach and she rotated my knee.  I screamed out in pain and I have been unable to walk since.

The pain is sooooooooooo bad.  It feels worst on the outer top left of my left knee.  I guess because of the way I am trying to protect it, my muscles in my ankle are on fire.  They feel so tight........like they are pulling.

My knee is very stiff.  It's  hard to recognize any swelling....  My knee feels heavy.

I have a daughter......and I can't get out of bed.  My husband is taking care of her and me.......and I am literally bed ridden.

I had MRIs done on Friday.  I don't think my Dr. comes into the office until Tues.  Shouldn't my leg be braced somehow?, so I don't cause further damage?

I have my MRI pictures.....is there a website that shows knees that are fine and those with problems that I could look at?  I did notice a lot of "white" on one side of my knee.  There was also a lot of "white" behind my knee cap.  (for white, I mean that on the MRI it is clear...so against a light, it looks like big white spots)
very noticeable.

Any ideas for me.......I don't even know how I am going to functions.............I have an injury to my right leg...and I have drop foot there......so, having this trouble with my left can be devestating!!

Thanks for being out there and listening!
jo
tripped and left knee  hit the corner of the wall.
Slowly had terrible pains over a few weeks.
Currently in Physical Therapy and wearing a leg brace.  Cortizone shot 3/18
The MRi showed no tear.

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
Re: Intense pain
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2003, 01:21:48 AM »
Jo,

The best thing for you to do would be for you to wait until you can talk with your doctor.  If you took a direct blow to the knee, it would cause a lot of pain, so there's nothing abnormal....There are a variety of things that could be going on--it could be something as simple as a bone bruise.  Those hurt like nobody's business and take a while to clear up, but are otherwise not serious.

In the meantime, if you are concerned and in that much pain, you probably shouldn't be walking on that leg at all.  Staying in bed or on the couch is excellent--keep it up.  Also, is there any way your husband can pick up a pair of crutches for you?  They are not that expensive, and some pharmacies even rent them.  If you're not comfortable doing that, you could probably even rent a wheelchair for a few days, too.

Other than keeping weight off, you should be taking whatever anti-inflammatories your doctor recommends.  Often, a combination of Advil/ibuprophen and tylenol can be helpful (if you are not allergic to any of these and don't have other counter-indications--ask your pharmacist if you are unsure).  To further reduce swelling, try elevating your leg above your heart (maybe on pillows or something to support the whole leg and keep it straight or slightly bent), and using icepacks for 20 minutes on, 20 minutes or more off.  No heat or hot tubs should be used until you get the all clear from your doc.

That's about all you can do.  Rest, Ice, Compression (like an ACE bandage, but this might not feel good if you're bruised) and Elevation or the infamous RICE method.  Then see what your doctor has to say.  By the way, were x-rays taken?  MRI's can show soft tissue damage, but often a cheap set of x-rays can help rule out some of the more serious injuries.  That might help put your mind at ease right away.

And remember--if the pain gets bad, if you start to swell up or just feel that something is really wrong, get yourself down to the ER right away.  Sometimes that's the best option, because you get the x-rays and MRI right away and don't have to wait for the results!  Also, the ER doctors can prescribe stronger pain medication to make you more comfortable while you wait to hear your results.  Once your pain is under control, it will probably take care of a lot of your stress and fears as well.

Take care of yourself and try to relax.  Tuesday is right around the corner.  Please let us know what your doctor discovered.

Best of luck and I hope you are feeling better soon.

Heather

PS if you have your MRI pictures, you should have gotten a radiologist's report with them (even a preliminary one).  Call the lab and ask if you can pick it up.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2003, 01:22:56 AM by hmaxwell »
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

support