Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 14 and i cant take it no more  (Read 22099 times)

Offline Hayleytoots14

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: 14 and i cant take it no more
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2006, 06:50:16 PM »
Yea i know thankz for help  8)
1 chondroplasty to left knee
1 arthscopy to left knee
i felt a little fear apon my back i said dont look back.. just keep on walking

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2006, 06:52:52 PM »
I assume you are 14 and it's not easy having problems like this and being so young and just want to get it over and done.
I developed my first problems with knees when being 12 so I know how you feel, believe me !!
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline hopalongcasualty

• Forum Faithful
  • Today is a gift.That's why it's called the present
    • Left knee surgery
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2006, 07:17:57 PM »
Hayley,

1. When you bend the knee (flexion) how far does it bend?  
2. When you state it gets stuck, is this from being: a.) too tight, b.) pulling-tearing pain, c.) feels like something is in the way  
3. Where is the pain located: a.) thigh "quads", b.) behind the kneecap, c.) below the kneecap across the front of the knee "joint line"

If you can tanswer these questions it may help when you see the doc to better explain the symptoms.  

There can be any number of things that can cause joint stiffness post-op.  First of all is that (if I have read your history right) you have been on crutches since the first of December.  You havent been flexing the knee this entire time (at least full range of motion).  You probably have muscle atrophy (shrinking/weakening) of all of the leg muscles.  There may also be excess fluid in the joint capsule.  

All of the things just listed are treatable and only temporary, you will have to work at your physio to regain strength and flexibility.  

You might be able to print off some anatomical knee pictures from the internet, then using colored markers highlight areas of pain in one color, tightness in another, physical barrier in a third.  Get the idea.  Let the doc put it in your file. then repeat this each week to see if ther is improvement.  

Sometimes words cannot express what you feel, a picture might get the point across to the OS.    
R Knee
83-LCL,ACL&Medial Meniscus tear
86-Debridment
87-TTT Houser Manuver
89-TTT Maquet Procedure*
92-Meniscus Tear
04-Supartz Injections
05-Contusion
L Knee
05-tibia & patella dislocation w/MCL tear & large lateral condyle defect
2-15-06 Lateral condyle osteochondral Allograft ::)

cholt

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2006, 07:27:09 PM »
Hayley,

Sorry you are having such a problem.  I can tell you that, not being able to bend your knee right now was normal for me.  I too had been injured for quite some time before I had surgery.  I also had an osteochondral defect with no loose bodies.  They cleaned up my cartilage also.  Did they say how big the defect was, or if they did something called microfracture to it.  Microfracture is a drilling into the bone (like pricking it all over) to bring blood into bone, so it will rebuild a different kind of cartilage.  If the defect was real small, or real large, or not very deep, they may not have done it.  Since I was hurt so long before my surgery, I had a real problem on bending and straightening my knee afterwards on either of my knee surgeries.  You had been hurt so long also, this may be the reason.  It tkaes a while to get the muscles and ligaments to stretch back out.  Are you going to physical therapy?  If not, then just try to bend and straighten it a little  each day a few times a day.  Hold for about 10-15 seconds at about 5-10 times each.  Push till it hurts but don't go beyond that.  You don't want it to hurt real back, just discomfort.  I did this everyday and had PT twice a week for about 3 months to get mine to bend and straighten.  It was about 6-8 weeks before I saw a big difference.  

Just hang in there.  I'm sure since the Doc went in there and saw everyting, it is probably going to be ok.  She or He could have missed something, but it's unlikely.  Your bending or straightening (ROM) problem was normal for me as I'm sure it was for others who had a major lapse of time with no movement before surgery like us.

PS Try not to limp if can hurt your back.  I used a walker and a cane.  Crutches can really hurt your underarms for as long as you have been on them.  Also, if you do use crutches, make sure you have someone who is experienced set them for you.  This is crutial.  If they are set right, they won't hurt as much.

Good Luck, and if I can help, just yell.  Hang in there!  

Cindy

Offline Hayleytoots14

• Regular Poster
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2006, 10:19:04 PM »
Thankz for the new post.. i tryed bending my leg aint to see what pain it was.. its a mix between the pulling and somthing being in the way.. its like say if you knee could only bend a little way and then that was the limit.. its like that.. like my knee have reached its limit of bending
Ruflly i can bend my leg to a 20 degree angle (not far). Its very confusing its like you think an operation is going to sort it but just makes it feel the same? im seeing my doctor soon so hopfally she will help me out.
im not sure if it is the muscles or not because you know when you can sort of tell when its to do with your muscles.. well it feels more like a bone problem Lol i know it sounds funny but it just feel like the knee just  wont go any further.Also i had my crutches set by a phsio at the hospital so i would of fort there set rite..
its rele starting to hurt my back like ive got this rele bad burning pain under my shoulderblades.. Before op i
could cope more with it cause its like i was working towards the operation to fix it now its like im working toward a dead end like a enless non bending :P the pain when i bend my leg is just on top of my kneecap
and even if i try to push it further it wont go like somthings in the way i gausse. i often think maybe if the hospital would of sorted it out or read the signs earlier it would of been better. Enywayz thankz for post and enymore help you can give would be soo apresiated  :) Hayley x
1 arthscopy to left knee

Offline Hayleytoots14

• Regular Poster
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2006, 11:48:35 AM »
Does enyone know what it means to have like a.. almost like a heart beat but in your knee like its going boom booom  ??? Comfusing i know but somtimes i get that
1 arthscopy to left knee

Offline Hayleytoots14

• Regular Poster
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2006, 12:08:46 PM »
If enyone knows enything that could be wrong please reply.. im at the end of my teather
1 arthscopy to left knee

cholt

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2006, 12:30:40 PM »
Hayley,

When your knee is swollen, you will feel your heartbeat in it.  It is normal, since you are just about 1 month post-op.  I know this is all scary to you, but try not to worry so much.  Just write down all the questions you have and put them somewhere so you won't forget to take them with you to the next Doctors appoint.  When is it?  Any kind of surgery is going to be a little painful.  Make sure you are keeping it elevated and keeping ice on it as much as possible.  You should be putting ice on it for about 20 minutes at a time, off and on all day.  This will help the "throbbing" you are feeling.  Keep the knee propped up on about 2 pillows when you are laying down.  Try to keep it up as much as possible.  This will help the swelling also.  Try to stay off your leg also.  Do you still have a compression bandage on?  This should all start to subside in about 2-3 weeks.  For some it just lasts longer.  It stayed with me for about 6-8 weeks on my right knee. 

This procedure is called R.I.C.E. (rest, ice, compression and elevation).  Try to keep bending and straightening it a little more each day.  About 2-3 times a day.  Keep your chin up!  It will all get better.

Cindy

Offline Hayleytoots14

• Regular Poster
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2006, 01:28:51 PM »
No i dont have it bandaged up enymore. i had my wrapping taken off ages ago then i was just unsing plasters. now im off the plasters. The main reson im so worried is because it doesnt feel any differnt from before operation. its just feels like its never gonna end. I was lying in bed last night couldnt get to sleep back hurting.. people my age shouldnt have to worried about these sort of things.. these are the sorta things you go thro when your middle aged .. i just feel like the person inside me is dieing.. im the sorta person to get up and at em but i cant.

i try that ice thing and try and keep it up thankz :)
1 arthscopy to left knee

cholt

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2006, 02:05:04 PM »
Hayley,

LOL yeah that is for the middle aged.  You are right you should not have to deal with this at your age.  Just try to remember other young people (some younger than you) that have to deal with a lot worse.  I am not trying to take away from you, believe me, I know and believe you are in pain.  Just know you will get through this no matter what.  If you keep a good attitude it will help.  It really will.  Your attitude on your body makes a difference.  If you really want to get back to the "old" you, then just keep putting one foot in front of the other and just keep trying.  If you put a compression bandage back on, it might help with swelling and it sure will help with support.  A bandage like when you have a sprained ankle.  Don't put it on too tight, but enough to support.  I promise the ice and elevation will help if you really do it!!!  Try to stay with feet up as much as possible.  A MUST!!!

Cindy

Offline Hayleytoots14

• Regular Poster
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2006, 06:58:19 PM »
They never gave me a compresstion bandage they gave me a normal bandage with some cooton wool type thing undernieth it... i still got a normaly badage in my cupboard
1 arthscopy to left knee

cholt

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2006, 12:18:20 AM »
Hayley,

Great!  Keep me posted.

Cindy

Offline Quill

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • not the bee's knees
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2006, 03:26:28 AM »
Hayleytoots dear,

It's natural to think the operation would clear everything up right away but sometimes that is the beginning of the road back to normal. Please stick with it and do what they advise and keep getting to know all about your problem and doing all you can.

You will get better, kiddo. Just need patience and keep on going.

You are brave and great. Keep it up

Hugs, Nancy
OA both knees, confined to patella. Arthroscopy 1998, cortisone both knees,  Halygan shots both knees. Had PFR 3/28/05. Recovery on schedule according to OS but lots of pain radiating up thigh and to lower back.

Offline Hayleytoots14

• Regular Poster
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2006, 11:33:28 AM »
Thank you for new posts... i find my knee is getting worse as the days go on. is that enything to worrie about? i seem to not be able to get it as high as usual.  Got hospital tomorrow hopfally get all the answers miss sivilisation! Thankz for all the post so far Hayley  ;)
1 arthscopy to left knee

Offline Hayleytoots14

• Regular Poster
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2006, 04:31:00 PM »
Ok Update Lol Had hospital... told that i didnt have a full cartalage defecet i had a hole in the back of my knee. They also said they could bend my leg during operation. they given my stronger pain killers. Booked me in for a scan to make sure. And also gota start physio again. The physio said that my muscles are so tence and that my leg is rele sensative. She also see's how much it hurt to bend. I just dont understand it why wont it bend for me  :-[ Hopfally scan will show more answers. i was thinking when they was asking me questions about what yoo was all saying... hmmm netan said .... Cholt said.... And then telling her :)
She said to keep leg up so it can relax more. i just hope they fix it well wanna walk again seems so alien

Hayley x
1 arthscopy to left knee