Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Sleeve to wear under a Townsend brace  (Read 2877 times)

Offline Baxterman

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Sleeve to wear under a Townsend brace
« on: December 29, 2005, 04:55:59 AM »
I have a very badly worn left knee and have had to wear a Townsend brace for stability when I do anything strenuous like skiing. I used to have a rubber sleeve to wear under the brace to protect the skin. It has worn out. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement ?

I am a newbie here and my doctor(s) have told me that I should be thinking about a knee replacement. I am 63 years old and tore my ACL and MCL in a motor cycle accident when I was 26. They were not fixed. I  also had a medial menisectomy in 1971 in that knee. I decided a loing time ago that I was not going to let this knee stop me from being active - so I have learnt to ski, play tennis, golf, etc. Maybe this activity (with the help of a brace) contributed to the deterioration of the knee. I feel bone on bone contact and my docs tell me that I have advanced arthritis because of the uneven wear and bone contact.

I have pain most of the time - but I have gotten used to it. I do not take any prescription meds - yet. I am wondering if I should just go ahead and get the knee replaced - people who have had it say they got better quickly and recovered full use of their knee in a few weeks. But the prospect still scares me.

I am hoping to learn a lot from the other members here about what is ahead of me. So thank you all ahead of time.

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
Re: Sleeve to wear under a Townsend brace
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 11:32:22 AM »
Hi Baxterman ~ I sympathize with your problems. I have a few years on you agewise but far less time dealing with pain. I also wear a Townsend Premier brace when I feel the need. I was given the cotton sleeve to use under the brace if it bothered me, but I've never resorted to that. I find the brace comfortable enough. Try going out to townsenddesign.com to see about contacting the company for a replacement.

Like you, the thought of knee replacement is unappealing - to say the least. So I do whatever I can to protect what's left from further damage - w/o sacrificing those things I enjoy doing. It does become a delicate balance & I've only been dealing with the knee problems for 8 months. Amazing how the day begins & ends around the ailing knee. Wishing you well...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 01:03:56 PM »
Hi,

I wear a DonJoy brace, but found it slipping and hurting and found a lycra knee brace undersleeve or bracesock which has helped tremendously.....

This is what they look like - once you have it in place and the brace on you fold down the sleeve over the brace and that helps keep the brace from moving also....

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=6&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=EVS_US-SET-M_G

Good luck.  ~Shade

« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 02:03:00 PM by shade »
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 01:54:20 PM »
Or try bracesox-