Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: work-advice needed  (Read 1486 times)

Offline caroline_f_98

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
work-advice needed
« on: November 16, 2005, 06:52:27 PM »
My OS signed me off work for 6 weeks post hadrware removal. I have a v stressful job so I am keen to avoid it for the 6 weeks to give myself the best chance possible to recover. My boss had told me I would be espected to work from home which I planned to do 3 weeks post op despite the fact I have a sick cert.

My boss called today and said that he had spoken to our occupational health dept at work and they advised that I am fit for work if on crutches. He said if I can't drive to work I can always get buses or trains. I told him I was v ill (which is true) at present with sickess from the drugs, problems sleeping and swelling.

I don't know how to deal with this. He will keep asking me for updates. I really don't want to be at work for the next 6 weeks. It will mean that I won't have time for exercises and will be v stressed and tired.
Type 6 tib plat  r leg
Surgery  29/11/03 2 plates, 9 screws
FWB at 18 weeks
Full ROM, 0 extension
PT, H20 PT, swim & bike
HW removed Nov 05
Diary www.mybrokenleg.com/caroline

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: work-advice needed
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 07:08:50 PM »
The dept. can tell if you are fit or not to work, this can only your doc do. Maybe they can talk directly with your doc about it and get the answers from there why you can't work earlier. Bus and train aren't any option to take if you are on crutches and need to take things easy. I don't know why they have so hard to understand if peps need to recover after a surgery. Wish I could help you.Best of luck to you !!

HUGS NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline j_smi001

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 07:37:47 PM »
Excellent advice from Nettan - I am waiting for surgery but have already had the work from home one - 'we'll supply you a networked laptop' but from a differment approach, 'It will be good for you as you will get bored, we think this will be a good idea for your recovery, the project is at a critical stage and you would not want to be left out'  Well actually I think I can manage to amuse myself, I quite like Countdown (a day time quiz show in the UK) and I could not give a stuff about the project. 
On a serious note you need to let your employer know how you feel and definately get your doc involved - no one will thank you for rushing back too early only to have a greater time off to fully recover.  Also a responsible employer will need to carry out a full risk assessment on you travelling to and attending the work place - being on crutches and on meds not a good combination for a busy office with stairs etc..  hope this helps
2002 plica removal, chrondoplasty both knees and LR right knee. Derotational tibial osteotomy rt leg 07/04/06.  Awaiting for left leg to be rotated and have no more knee pain!

Offline Caggie

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 12:16:41 AM »
Hiya,

Just also like to say that the attitude from your boss and OH sucks!  My boss has been great with me and ive not even seen OH yet (think they havent got round to it!) but OH need to see you anyway rather than just making judgements on what they hear and normally they will consult with your GP with your approval. I think your boss is talking out of his a***.  As stated before if your OS has signed you off for 6 weeks its for a good reason....if your boss makes your life difficult then you can take action against them.  Dont let them pressure you into feeling you have to go back..youre being gracious enough to work from home despite being sick (are you supposed to do that?  technically i dont think so and they cant make you spesh with a docs note so you are actually helping them out :))

Good Luck

Caggie

xx
L/K lateral Meniscectomy 19/08/05
L/K lateral Meniscectomy 07/10/05
L/K Open lateral cyst excision 11/11/05
L/K lateral Meniscectomy  in 2007
L/K lateral Meniscectomy 03/08/12
L/K lateral Meniscectomy/Chondroplasty 25/04/16

Offline sparkle999

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 02:33:59 PM »
I would send them your sick note and ignore all other requests! On sick leave you do not have to work form home even. I am sorry you have such a stupid boss. He is stupid because no-one will want to work for him or trust him to have their best interests at heart.

My OS has said I should be off between 6 and 8 weeks, so we timed the op for the xmas holiday so it will be 1o weeks befire I go back. Work agree that , this way, when I do go back I will be 'fit for duty'. I am a teacher and I have offered to do bits of work from home, but to fit PT in and generally feel well you need a break from the stress.

Travelling on public transport is incredibly difficult on cruthches and would involve a good sturdy(heavy) backpack and non-crowded transport. NOT a good idea on crutches. We're with you Caroline. Do you have an HR dept who you can talk to, or even a union, just to get your boss off your back?
xx
35 y/o
ACL rupture
loose body under kneecap
impaction fractures
injury 19th march 2005
scope 9th may
recon 24th october 05

Offline ACLGirl

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 05:53:03 PM »
Caroline,

I agree with Sparkle.  Do not let them pressure you into going back to work to early.  That can hender your healing process.  If you are suppose to be off from work for six weeks, take that time off. Tell your manager that you are not returning to work until you have permission from your doctor.  Tell him that if you return to work too early he will be held accountable for your health. 

Yolanda

Stay Strong.
Yolanda

Offline Erikadc

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2005, 06:06:57 PM »
Caroline,
I recommend researching the employment laws so you're aware of your rights.  Always stay one step ahead of your boss.  :)
29 years old
2002 LR - left (Sept) and right (Nov) knee
July 14, 2005 Fulkerson left knee (Dr. Pettrone)

Offline caroline_f_98

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 08:02:19 PM »
Thanks for all the useful advice. Really appreciate it.

XC
Type 6 tib plat  r leg
Surgery  29/11/03 2 plates, 9 screws
FWB at 18 weeks
Full ROM, 0 extension
PT, H20 PT, swim & bike
HW removed Nov 05
Diary www.mybrokenleg.com/caroline

Offline sugarbear

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2005, 05:40:19 AM »
i was off for 8 months following my screw removal surgery.  i was not even allowed to do pt forthe first 6 weeks.
sandy

support