Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Run Over by car while on bicycle  (Read 878 times)

Offline RunOverByCar

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Run Over by car while on bicycle
« on: December 14, 2005, 04:14:28 AM »
I was broadsided by a car March 28 while riding my bike.  I've been unable to walk without a cane since.  I've been doing rehab 3x a week until this week when my OS recomended I stop therapy and we go for arthroscopic surgery.  I have no insurance and due to a law suit, I am not flexible about my treatment.

My OS, although highly recommended doesn't explain things to me. 

My knees are swollen everytime I go to therapy.  My Therapist works out the swelling through electric shock, ultrasound, acupuncture, low-level laser, and exercise but 2 days later I'm right back where I started. 

The pain and swelling is mostly on the bottom part of my knee cap going from left to right (on both knees).  I feel constant pain - sometimes dull, sometimes burning.  The pain hasn't gotten any better since the accident.

Any ideas what the problem with my knees is or what the OS is going to be looking for?  I will be doing Arthroscopic surgery on both knees at the same time?  Is this crazy?

K

Offline Charliemouse

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Run Over by car while on bicycle
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 12:49:45 PM »
I'm guessing he'll mainly be looking for meniscal tears which would be consistent with the pain you are having.
18/06/05 Injured trampolining
Fixed Flexion 20-90 deg until...
01/09/05 lateral meniscectomy (40%)
09/06/06 Patella tendon aclr
09/09/06 Back on the tramp (carefully)
10 years on and still going strong
!!Stop twisting when you land or it hurts!!

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 02:38:51 PM »
What tests have been done?  X-ray, mri, bone scan?

Basically, you have to sign a release before surgery.  If you don't know what's going to be performed, don't sign it.  For now - request a copy of your medical records.  It should all be in writing.  And insist the OS meet with you and discuss the procedures he will perform, what they are intended to treat, and outline the first 3-4 months of the rehab protocol.  If he refuses - call your lawyer.  Not because this doctor is or is not good, but to find out what type of options you have while the legal case is pending.  I'm assuming you're suing the drive and his/her insurance company.  You will probably have medical experts on your side to describe the injuries and trauma, recovery and long-term impact.  If the OS can describe this to the court, he can sure as heck describe it to you.

Good luck.
Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline RunOverByCar

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 02:59:05 PM »
I had an xray and mri done.  mri showed "wear and tear" in the knees.  I showed the mri to my regular dr who thought it was a badly read report.  Thanks for the tip.  I will insist the os tell me what t expect, etc.  especially after surgery. 

Any pros or cons on doing both knees at once?

K

cholt

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 03:23:11 PM »
Well, I just lost everything I just wrote.  In a nutshell, make sure about having done both at the same time.  I couldn't have done it.  My OS wouldn't do both at same time. 

My MRi only showed pre-exisitng arthritis.  Boy was it wrong.  Luckily I found an OS specializing in knees (very important)!  He didn't have any idea he would find all that he did until he got in there.  It took a long time to recupe from both. 

I'm sure it depends on age, weight, fitness and determination.  Make sure you know what he expects before going in and expect more to be done.  A lot of people have had both done at the same time and said they wouldn't have done it any other way either. 

Will you have someone to help a lot right after surgery?  You won't be able to drive for a few days or weeks.  Work time off?  Think all things through and good luck!  Keep us posted.

Cindy

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 04:18:52 PM »
Hi K,
   Sorry to hear about your accident and the tough time you are having recovering.  As Cindy says, it may depend on what he finds when he gets in there, if he decides to do something that would make it dfficult to rehab both knees at the same time he may opt to just do one.  For just a diagnostic scope or "simple" procedure such as debridement, partial menisectomy, etc. doing them both at the same time shouldn't be a problem.  I have had both knees scoped at the same time several times.  The first week I thought it was the dumbest thing I had ever done and now I do it that way every time.  Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

Patty

support