Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: New Member with EDS saying "Hi"  (Read 2280 times)

Offline Bendy Sue

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
    • Caringbridge
New Member with EDS saying "Hi"
« on: January 22, 2006, 06:51:07 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I am new to Knee Geeks although I am not new to having Knee surgery.  I have been looking on the board as a guest for some time, but I have only just registered as a member today.

I was diagnosed with HMS as a teenager and with Ehlers Danlos Syndrome last year aged 35.

I have already had 2 surgeries on my knees (1 on each side) due to chrondromallacia, meniscal tears and a cyst that developed due to leaking synovial fluid.  The cyst was drained and compressed into the knee joint and both knee caps have been shaved down quite dramatically.  I was told some time ago that I now have severe patella osteoarthritis, Grade iV chrondromallacia and a hole the size of a two pence piece on the underside of my right kneecap where it is down to bare bone.

I am scheduled for my 3rd arthroscopy and possible lateral release on Thursday (Jan 26th).  I was due to have a lateral release on my right knee 5 years ago but my operation was cut short due to problems with my blood pressure.  I dislocate my knees on a regular basis.  Here is an extract from my pre-op clinic notes:

"This lady's for right EUA artroscopy and possible lateral release. She has Ehlers Danlos Syndrome. She will need very careful EUA at time of surgery. I note that her arthroscopy in 2001 noted her to have significant chondral lesions to the patella with lateral meniscal tears and associated cysts which were debrided.

Most of her problems seem to be related to the patello-femoral joint and she is clearly J tracking with patella tilt and patelo-femoral joint irratibility. She has good movements of the patella with a two quandrant displacement both medially and laterally.

Following surgery she will need an MRI scan of her cervical and lumbar spine to try to work out wheter her arm pain, parathesia and numbness on the right side is cervical and also whether the right side buttock to knee pain which she is getting is due to central lateral canal stenosis."

I will keep this introduction short, but I just really wanted to say "hello" and to warn you that you may be seeing me around a lot over the next few weeks during my recovery.  This will be my 12th operation in the last 10 years (I am quite severly affected by my EDS, but I will save boring you with my other health problems for the time being  ;)).

Has anybody with either HMS or EDS had a lateral release, and if so did they find it to be successful?  Also, I have been told by my surgeon to expect to be off work for 2-3 weeks if he performs the lateral release with an overnight stay in hospital too.  Is this a realistic recovery period for someone with EDS?  I tend to recover quite slowly, with poor wound healing and funny autonomic responses to general anaesthetics (blood pressure and heart rate fluctuations etc).  i know when I had my 2 previous arthroscopies I was off work for a couple of weeks each time so I somehow think I may need more than 2-3 weeks to get over the lateral release.

Thanks for reading my post, and I look forward to getting to know some of you better soon.

Best wishes,

Bendy Sue  ;)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 11:17:34 PM by Bendy Sue »

support