Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 3 Weeks post OATS  (Read 2416 times)

Offline mjg407

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
3 Weeks post OATS
« on: December 12, 2005, 09:46:43 PM »
Hey OATSers,

As of tomorrow, I'm 3 weeks post OATS.  I had one 10 mm plug transplanted into the defective cartilage area (femoral trochlea).  The entire procedure was done via arthroscopy.  The first week was hell, especially one night when I accidentally did a full kick (big bend and sharp kick) in my sleep.  That was probably the most painful moment of my experience thus far.  The last two weeks have been better.  Swelling has progressively gone down, and the pain has reduced substantially.  I still have some pain, but that (I expect) is b/c I am doing almost nothing to the leg/knee.

My OS told me I could put weight on my leg immediately after surgery if I wanted to, but that I probably wouldn't be comfortable doing so, but if and only if I was wearing my immobilizing brace at the time.  At my one-week post-op visit, he confirmed that putting weight on the leg was ok, but only if my joint was locked in a brace so as not to flex with any weight on my leg.  I've followed this advice, but have been very reluctant to put any weight at all on the leg b/c when I've tried to do so (always with brace on and generally with crutches, etc), it's been fairly uncomfortable.  Is this type of partial WB normal for an OATS procedure in the area of the leg in which I had mine?

Secondly, and this concerns me more, my OS told me that I should not be starting any therapy at all until 4 weeks post-op.  I do not have a motion machine.  The only exercises he encouraged me to do on my own are foot pumps and occasional straight leg lefts to the extent I feel comfortable doing them.  But my leg is too weak to do a straight leg left without risking bending (which he says is still a big no-no).  He told me that rest/caution for 4 weeks is normal procedure b/c I am treating a iatrogenic fracture (the removal of the healthy cartilage for the transplant) as well as the transplant itself.  Is this no-PT period normal?  It seems much longer than most cases I've read about on this board.

Third and finally, I wonder what advice you all might have about sleeping.  I can generally sleep fine on my back, but I'm getting a reasonable amount of back pain b/c I spend all day and all night on my back.  I've tried sleeping on my side but that is out of the question.  I assume that sleeping face down is as well given that the portal sites are on the front of my knee and there's still a reasonable amount of swelling there.  Any advice/suggestions on this front?

Thanks to all in advance -- this board has been so very helpful to me already, and I'm only 3 weeks in.  I know it will be a long recovery period.

Best,

Mike

Offline Beauzer

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I want to become the person my dog thinks I am
Re: 3 Weeks post OATS
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 11:33:26 PM »
I think a lot of the rehab protocols depend on where they put the plugs.  I had OATS to my MFC and I had a CPM and had PT right away, but was NWB for 6 weeks and PWB for another 4.  I'm pretty sure WB and no ROM is normal for trochlear implants, but couldn't say for sure.

As far as pain with WB, it's not surprising.  I had quite a bit of pain with any weight for awhile.  Just take it slow and don't be in a hurry.   

I also couldn't sleep on my side for about 2 months (a real problem for me since I can't sleep at all on my back).  It does get better, but it's a slow process.  Once I didn't need the pain medication anymore, I tried a stiff belt of bourbon just before bed. 

Good luck,
Danielle
32 - R knee gone to hell
lat. meniscus 94
ACL, chondroplasty 98
Chondroplasty 99
Screw fell out into joint, med. meniscus, microfracture 99
MCL/med. capsule recon, med. meniscus 00
Chondroplasty 04
Chrondroplasty 1/05
OATS 4/05 for OCD lesion
AVN, MFC fracture 10/05

Offline footwart23

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 05:09:01 PM »
i have had the oats procedure recently. it's been four weeks and i am having severe hamstring cramps. is this something that is to be expected?

Offline LadeeStingray

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 06:28:05 PM »
At 4 weeks post-op of my OATs i got terrible cramps EVERYWHERE.   My PT started doing massage therapy seemed to help me alot.  Also when i started gettin a cramp i would get in the CPM machine for a bit it seemed to loosen up the leg and relieve the cramping. 
10/05 Rt medial meniscal tear repair 1/06 synvisc injections
3/06 cortisone injection   6/06 open OATs MFC
9/06 drained/cortisone  11/06 biopsy for ACI surgery
6/07 scoped again....failed OBI plugs
awaiting approval for HemiCAP

support