Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Want to quit ortho but love it too much snif!  (Read 1556 times)

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
Want to quit ortho but love it too much snif!
« on: March 15, 2003, 09:49:40 PM »
Hi

Here I am again, whining and sulking. For the last 3 weeks our head nurse has been pestering us all the time, saying we are lazy, demotivated, etc... She even called the nursing director once saying we are not working fast enough, it was 12.00 (noon); there where 33 patients and we still had to bath 10 of them. She said we did a lousy job, insulted us in front of patients and the nursing director who was going to report it to the BIG BOARD! I was soooo angry! We started bathing and stuff at 6.30 am, only sat down 10 mins to have a cup of coffee and discuss patients. Like hell we didn't do anything! We work like robots, don't have time to talk to patients, can't even properly fill in files, yet SHE says we do nothing! We even weren't allowed to have lunch (she dissapeard, didn't even give us the portable phone so Xray dept and ORcentre also started complaigning that we did not bring patients... how could we? They couldn't ring us?) At 2 pm she closed the doors for us, we were not allowed to see our collegues who did a late shift, let alone tell them special things about the caring we did. Next day she did like nothing had happened. Haha! I didn't forget! I even shouldn't have been there because OS gave me an injection and I should have rested 3 days!

Yesterday, she came in yelling to us that WE flag things but don't do 'em. With a patients an Xray was flagged but not done. We weren't even there then! OR files where not made the day before! None of us worked the day before! Why yell at us!? She is allowed to be angry when we don't do our job as we have to, patients are involved, but she should talk to the right nurse!! She has to talk to the person who forgot yes? I got angry, turned round and walked out.
And the saddest part of it all? 2 weeks ago the PT and I saw a leg lenght difference in a THR patient. She had been to Xray so I went to see the radiologist to ask if it was ok and it was an Xray of the lungs... back upstairs I said to everyone who was there that I was really worried, I thought she had dislocated her hip. Noone reacted. Talked to our head nurse, asked her to take a look and talk to our dr. SHe went to see the lady and said she had nothing to worry about. She didn't even sicuss it with the OS! Luckily I noted it in her file, 7 days later I worked again, lady still had lenght difference, so I phoned OS, asked him to come and take a look rightaway. Guess what? Dislocation! And you know what out Head nurse said? That i never told her, she didn't know that! Like hell! I yelled back that I was ready to chuck it all in.
I was soo angry last night, I even made an application form this morning to quit ortho and go take Xrays. I can't handle this. She can't take responsability, cannot handle the work, doesn't know patients... On wednesday a patient had a cardiac arrest lying on the OR table (surgery was nearly done) and who did the pré-ops? ME! You know she tried to blame me, like i had forgotten something or... Like I killed the lady? I did everything I had to do, everyone was shocked, losing a patient is hard, and she blamed ME! OSes said she had a massive pulmonary embolism and nothing could have saved her. They were shocked also, my OS even said he didn't sleep at all that night and had nightmares...

I have to stop tears are in my eyes... I have been depressed before because my former head nurse pestered me BIG TIME. I won't let it get to me again.
I just needed to vent. I know I will get over this, I am not to blame, some of my collegues are demotivated and everyone gets the blame for that. We are understaffed and overworked, I stay the happy ever crazy Helena in front of patients though I tell everyone SHE can't take her job (even patinets complaign about her).

Whish she dissapeared.... can someone please take care of that???

Helenaxxx sorry for this... :'(
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Offline tazmanian_devil

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • I guess you can't teach an old quad new tricks
Re: Want to quit ortho but love it too much snif!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2003, 03:45:17 AM »
Helena, sorry you are stressing. You know what is happening don't you? The person who is causing everyone all that stress is in big trouble herself and has everyone looking at everything that goes on there, after losing one person then that hip dislocation that was not taken care of. I see possibly 2 big lawsuits for the hospital and I don't know how things are where you are but if I am negligent as a nursing assistant I could be sued too. So maybe she is worried about that. I am not sticking up for her at all, I hope all you nurses can speak to someone. I know nurses suffer from job burnout so maybe you do need a little break. Theresa
L ACL Recon. L lat. meniscus tear 1991, R Dislocated 1996, R ACL partial tear, MCL tear 08/01, R Chondroplasty 2/14/02, R Lateral Release-Medial Reefing-Chondroplasty 12/3/02.

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2003, 12:07:44 AM »
Helena,

I know it's tough, but you have to tell yourself that nothing you can do will make up for the fact that this person has no self-confidence or leadership skills.  You could be nurse of the year and she'd still try to find a way to drag you down to her level of incompetence....

Please don't leave ortho nursing!!  Having been the victim of several uncaring nurses, it kills me to think that someone who does care and knows EXACTLY what the patients are going through would be driven out of the field.

Deep breath, count to ten, imagine the person in question stark naked in front of a room full of colleagues...whatever makes you feel better!

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline Rich_NYC

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2003, 11:48:58 AM »
Hi Helena
Don't know what to say except I agree with Heather M. We need more nurses like you. I know a couple of nurses and know that you get a raw deal.  Nurses are the backbone of the hospital system and I don't think you get half the credit you deserve.  Hang in there and I hope things improve.
Rich
scope to repair 2 meniscal tears (didn't help the pain]; post-patellar osteoarthritis

Offline Netty

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'day from Down Under.
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2003, 07:42:02 PM »
Helena, isnt there someone all of you can report her to. Theres got to be someone higher than her and if you's all pull together they might transfer her or get a new head nurse. maybe you could put a challenge to her, see if she will do your job for 1 day and see how many people she can wash in 1 hour. People like her that are out of the hands on game for a while often forget what its really like.  Motel housemaids get like 10 minutes to do a complete room and truck drivers get unrealistic time goals to get to their destination. If people want good quality care they have to give the carers the time they need to do it efficiently and a few extra minutes for some  good PR work. A few nice words to a patient can go a long way.
I worked in a hotel and tourists came in, I was telling them about the best sites and vineyards to visit and they were very appreciative but my boss went off his rocker and said "Im not paying you to stand around talking". If I didnt take the time to talk to them the hotel wouldnt have gotten their business. They stayed for drinks and a meal.  Some bosses are really crappy. Netty
Broke the cruciate and damaged the medial and lateral ligs playing softball.Hammy ACl recon Feb 2000(failed).Hammy ACL recon Aug 01(failed).Medial repair and Lateral loop Dec 01(failed).Still unstable

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2003, 09:21:42 PM »
Thanks! I feel a bit better but not good yet.  Yesterday we didn't even get a "hello", she said 9 words to me,  (yes, I am busy, you need to make labels)! I have to do nightshift as of this evening because someone called in sick. So I am working all alone, it's better than seeing her, as I don't want to put my foot in it any deeper than it already is. She sees I am not happy about it all but I simply can't do anything about it. Over all, SHE is the one with the problem, not me, so I won't give up just yet. But I won't let it come too far. On top of it all my collegue yesterday said I am limping again (which I didn't realize but I am :-[), not sure why, he said I have irritation of my TTsite???? So I made myself an appt. with my OS next thursday.

Thanks for the support, I am OK, really!
H xxx
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Offline Ross

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • it only hurts when I larf!
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2003, 11:20:04 AM »
Helena, my younger brother is something of a tycoon, he's been very successful in a number of fairly high powered businesses.  When someone is yelling he will ask "Have you got a problem with that?"  invariably the yeller will say "Yes!" to which his response is "That's good, it is now your problem to solve, I'll expect a report on your progress later this week!"  He's only ever had to do it once in just about every business he's run, word filters down pretty quickly!

I'm with Theresa, this is an individual who is looking to shift BLAME.  It's an activity that most of us learn in kindegarten and have dropped as a tactic by the time we are adults (unless we become politicians!).
I'm a grumpy old bear with a busted knee.  The growling you hear is my tummy rumbling!

support