Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: New to knee arthritis  (Read 3197 times)

Offline Caroline109

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
New to knee arthritis
« on: December 11, 2005, 04:38:51 PM »
But not new to arthritis as I already have it in my shoulders. I had 2 partial meniscusectomies in 2003, 4 months apart. This past summer I noticed my knees feeling a little stiff. At the end of October, I slipped on some water and twisted my body trying to stop myself from falling, which I did. For a couple of days after that, my knees, especially the right knee, started hurting badly but then the pain went away for maybe 10 weeks and then flared up again, which is when I called my OS's office to make an appointment. I saw him on Nov. 30 and he thought I had torn my meniscus again. He sent me for an MRI again which I had this past Monday and got the results on Friday. My meniscus wasn't torn but I do have arthritis in my right knee, right where you move the knee to turn and twist. He said my cartilage, what remains, is actually in pretty good shape (I am going to credit my Naturemade Triple Flex - glucosamine, chondritin, and MSM - for that) and the meniscal cyst he had seen at my surgery was almost all resolved (after 2 years, I would hope it was!). Anyway, I'm now awaiting a call from the office to say they've gotten in Supartz which I'll be having 3 (I think he said 3) shots, once a week for 3 weeks, once I get approved and the medicine gets to the office. Apparently it's not something they keep on hand, like cortisone shot material. I am already currently taking Relafen (the generic one) for my shoulder arthitis and I hope these shots help. For me, arthritis is a balancing act of balancing pain management and my unfortuanately chronic problem of having low platelets which contraindicates a lot of anti-inflammatories. The pain management usually wins over the platelets but my platelet count, although lower than most people's, isn't life threatening and I have few symptoms.
I'm sure someone else here has had these shots and I was wondering how they found them-was the injection easy, did they work and when did they start working???

Thanks in advance for any answers!
Caroline
Chronic low platelet count
Men. surgery, both knees 2003,2007,2008
R PKR Sept. 17, 2008 - Biomet Oxford Partial
LK-TKR 4/21/2010 Biomet Vanguard Signature Knee
Scar tissue issue next to TKR knee
March 2, 2011: PKR to be revised to a TKR

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
Re: New to knee arthritis
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 12:01:47 PM »
Caroline,

Here is a good article on supartz.  I've not had these injections, but did try the NeoVisc knee injections with minimal results.  Some people have wonderful results with knee injections and other's have only minimal relief.  Good luck to you and hopefully you'll have great pain-relief from the injections.....  ~Shade

http://www.berkeleyortho.com/news.html
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 02:07:47 PM »
How old are you?  If you're under 50, you may want to start researching some of the surgeries to actually replace/regenerate articular cartilage.  They are microfracture, ACI, and OATS.  All of them are major surgeries with long recovery periods.  But they could help you avoid or postpone a potential TKR for decades.
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline Caroline109

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 09:00:18 PM »
I'm 51 and having a low platelet count, I tend to try to avoid surgery. I'm hoping the shots will bring some relief. I got a call today from my ortho's office (actually the woman left a message) saying she's working on the approvals and will call as soon they're set so we can schedule the appointments so that I can get Friday appointments. All the things you're not supposed to do immediately following the shots are things I do for work so Friday afternoons mean weekends off so I can relax!
Thanks for the link to the article. I'll look at it momentarily.
Caroline

Offline Caroline109

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 09:52:12 PM »
I've now gotten approved for my shots and will start them next Friday. Then I'll have the next one the following Friday and then the Friday after that. Glad that's all taken care of!
Caroline

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2005, 09:55:44 PM »
Hi Caroline,

Glad the  shots were approved.  Hope they help!  Good luck!

Patty

Offline Caroline109

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2005, 08:20:58 PM »
I hope they help too! I was talking to my youngest son  (19 years old) as we were driving home from his college campus (for winter break) and I was telling him about how a topical anesthetic is used first before the shot. So he said "Ohhhhhh..........I bet it goes way into the knee" which made me cringe more than I had been about the shots since I heard about them!!!!
Caroline

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2005, 08:50:01 PM »
Hi Caroline,

The shots were completely painless for me and I opted to skip the local injection first.  The only feeling I had was a slight feeling of tightness after the injections were administered.  Never had any pain or problems afterwards.

Take care,
Patty

Offline Caroline109

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2005, 09:42:44 PM »
I hope I have the same experience. I'm having the shots Friday afternoon around 3. I'm planning to spend most of Saturday baking as I always do on CHristmas Eve Day. I am thinking I may have to do some of the preparation sitting at the kitchen table rather than standing at the counter since you're not supposed to stand for a long time (which I would be) the day after the shot. Hopefully my 2 college age sons will assist me with the baking. My oldest son and his GF are showing up around lunch time and we'll have a big meal of spaghetti and I'll have made the sauce for that Friday morning before I have to go to the doctor's.

This may seem like a stupid question but I'll ask anyway! The shot will be in my right knee, on the leg you brake and push on the gas pedal with. Will I have any trouble driving home from the doctor's immediately following the shot or do I have to have one of my  kids drive me there and back? I'm guessing I should be able to drive myself to and from but I want to be sure!  ??? :P
Caroline

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2005, 09:51:58 PM »
Hi Caroline,

Driving shouldn't be a problem.  I drove to and from my OS's office which is 280 miles away.  Since I am sure that your teenage sons will be helping eat the wonderful baked items, it is only fair that they help.  :)  Let me know how the shots go and if you have any more questions.

Take care,
Patty

Offline Caroline109

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2005, 10:49:08 PM »
My doctor is maybe 5 miles away (a 15 minute drive with the traffic and the accompanying lights) and if you could manage A 280 mile drive, I'm sure I'll be able to manage my 5 mile trip! I can't imagine having to go that far to see a doctor! The farthest I've ever done for a doctor's visit is 60 miles into NYC and that was once (and my father drove) years ago to see a hematologist.

ALl 3 kids will be eating everything I make for sure! I'll make them get me things from the fridge and take things in and out of the oven==and wash the pans as I use them. I like to bake and I'll probably blow my lowfat diet but too bad! LOL! We also have Hanukkah at our house and will enjoy some potato latkes but I'll just buy them frozen at Trader Joe's.

The best gift I can get will be for my knee to stop aching! If I think of any other questions, I'll let you know. You've been very helpful ;D
Caroline

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2005, 12:11:31 AM »
Hi Caroline,

Sounds like you have it all worked out with the baking, enjoy.  This time of year can be made more stressful by worrying about the diet, IMHO.  :)  If I don't gain weight over the holidays, I am happy.  I live in rural Nevada and the closest cities are Salt Lake City and Reno, with SLC being closer.  The OS I see I have gone to since I attended college in Utah back in the stone age.  The OS's here are not very good and I just don't trust them, so I continue to make the drive.  Besides, my daughter lives over there now and it gives me an excuse to go visit her.  :)  Enjoy the baking and the eating following the baking.

Patty