Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Locked Knee, Bucket tear Concerns  (Read 1225 times)

Offline SheriBerry

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Locked Knee, Bucket tear Concerns
« on: December 10, 2005, 11:16:15 AM »
I injured myself at work the day before thanksgiving. Doctor took 2 weeks to diagnose a torn meniscus (bucket handle) from an MRI. I have " knee derangement"( ....as well as other things deranged  :P). My knee does not allow for me to fully straighten my leg. I can bend my leg a little, but am worried that my knee should have already popped back so that i can straighten it. I couldn't bear any weight at first, but now can hobble on one straight leg, and one bent. I am apparently going to have surgery to either remove or repair (don't know yet) and do not go into orthopedist's for another 2 weeks... should i be worried about my knee still being kind of locked down???

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Locked Knee, Bucket tear Concerns
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 02:27:39 PM »
With a bucket handle tear the knee can get like this and be like this until surgery is done.
Are your surgery scheduled yet or are the docs waiting to see what happens ?
If you though feel concerned call the doc and ask.
Under meniscus section you can read more about bucket handle tear.

HUGS NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline painismyname

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2005, 05:30:37 PM »
I'm not a guru at this, but your knee sounds a lot like mine.  Unfortunately, I have to wait until the New Year to have an MRI done.  (Insurance and money reasons)  So I deal with mine locking up on me for days or weeks at a time.  I'm now on day 4 here this time.  I feel for you and hope that whatever relief you need comes soon.

Offline SheriBerry

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2005, 05:53:54 PM »
This whole mess is a workers comp case. I hurt myself at work and laws have changed in Texas where I am at. I Went to the occupational place that they make us go to, and the doc said ice it, you'll be fine tomorrow... released for light duty @ work, scheduled followup on dec 2nd, no knee wrap, no crutches, nothing... I was wheelchaired from the moment of injury, and wheelchaired out of his office.(bad timing on my part since it was 15 till 5, and office was closed till monday) My husband had to carry me to the second story of our apt. complex, and set me on the couch... that worked great for a few hours... leg propped up, and ice 20 min on and off..... until i needed to use the restroom.. thank God for patient husbands! Next day was Thanksgiving, and i could not stand on my leg, so good ol hubby went to walgreens and bought me crutches. dealt with pain at various family functions... sat and iced and elevated all day. I was in too much pain, and a little freaked out that the doctor didn't seem to think that my stuck leg was a problem, and that he didn't at least see if i could walk on it.. btw, he took x rays, and it was kind of like a... not bleeding... no broken bones... your fine attitude. Went to 2 clinics to see a doc... didn't care if workers comp paid, or my insurance company.. knew i needed help, and knew there was no way i could work "light duty" day after thanksgiving in a retail store. I was turned down both places when told .... this happened at work, and i'd already seen a workers comp dr.... only place left was the ER... so off we went... Finally! a real Doctor... with a REAL Degree... He knew the moment I was being examined... that knee does not look right! He had me lay on my stomach... pressed down and rotated my leg a little.. did several tests, and said strained MCL for sure, possible meniscus tear, but that I should go back to the workers comp dr first thing on monday, and tell them to call for results and schedule an MRI, gave me pain meds, and a velcro brace. ( he did that cause there isn't much else he can do unless i am Dying in front of him with worker's comp. ) So I Call Dr. Quacky, ::) and tell him that I cannot stand... and that my husband bought me crutches to walk with and the whole ER bit... He wants me to come in asap... he had me extend my leg, and flex it... and after several hmms... he came back with an MRI request to the insurance company(worker's comp) and scheduled follow up on dec 6th. I sit at the house going crazy for two days... wondering what is wrong with me... finally, i call Insurance company to see if my MRI has been approved... told yes it is... just waiting on paperwork... call Dr quacky's cause out of pain med, and inform them of insurance's approval of my MRI... they call clinic, set up appointment for thursday Dec 1st... go in, have MRI done at 10 am... Getting calls be 3:30 from Dr Quacky's to come in ASAP on Friday... Slept in a little longer... Had not slept good in a while... Dr. Quacky's nurses call me at 7:55 am, tell me to get there now... Now i panic... Dr. Quacky now looks a little more alive.. he tells me torn meniscus bucket handle tear to be exact... it means surgery... refers me to orth doc... and releases me back to work, but no driving... no standing, crouching, lifting more than 3 lbs... ect... ect. my boss says to stay at home... nothing i could really do... I get a call on dec 7th from an MRI clinic, saying... come in for your appointment I explain that i had my MRI done at another clinic already... call insurance company... see what is up with another MRI.. Apparently, when i called Dr. Quacky and told them of insurance approval, they made the appt. for me, and the insurance carrier made another one.  I get call on Dec 9th, that i have been approved for orth doc referal, and appt. is next friday the 16th.. until then, stuck at home... with stacks of delivery food and cheesy magazines piling up....

Offline SheriBerry

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2005, 06:00:19 PM »
Painismy name,
Sorry to hear that. apparently you deal with knee stuff a lot. I just feel helpless, and i hope that maybe your experince can guide you through until you get an MRI.

Offline Charliemouse

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2005, 12:33:44 PM »
I spent 3 months with a locked knee, I had a range of about 40-90degrees, I eventually managed to see an OS who whipped me in for a scope and although he found a torn acl as well he did sort out the meniscus so I could actually straighten my leg again....the novelty of being able to straighten it and walk almost normally hasn't worn off yet! I'm back to see him next Thursday to see if he will do the acl recon for me. Good luck and if you can, try and keep the muscles working (I know it's difficullt with fixed flexion but even lifting it up bent will move your muscles a bit) as it will aid your post op recovery.
18/06/05 Injured trampolining
Fixed Flexion 20-90 deg until...
01/09/05 lateral meniscectomy (40%)
09/06/06 Patella tendon aclr
09/09/06 Back on the tramp (carefully)
10 years on and still going strong
!!Stop twisting when you land or it hurts!!

support