Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Patellar Tendonitis  (Read 3727 times)

Offline tropical

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Patellar Tendonitis
« on: September 08, 2015, 06:45:49 AM »
I was diagnosed in "low grade" patellar tendinosis of my right knee three weeks ago. The OS said to do decline squats so, under the guidance of my PT, he showed me eccentric squats on a 25 degree decline board. THe next day I did the squats on a decline board in my gym and felt no pain in either knee but suddenly after finishing the squats and getting off the board, I felt pain in my LEFT knee (which previously was fine and had no pain whatsoever) under the kneecap where the patellar tendon is. It felt tender and warm so I iced it. It's been a few days now and the left knee feels just like the right knee does ie/ patellar tendonitis symptoms. I'm extremely frustrated because what started out as pain in one knee is now pain in both. I'm also scared that I may have potentially partially torn the patellar tendon in the left knee as the pain came on so suddenly after doing the squats and not through repetitive running etc etc. There is a tiny bit of a bump on the tibial tuberosity on the left knee - is that just a normal swelling response from the patellar tendonitis (if it is patellar tendonitis). The right knee which was originally diagnosed with the low grade patellar tendinosis is feeling much better and seems to be improving with the squats but it's just ironic and frustrating that these squats may have induced or caused patellar tendonitis in the left knee - or even worse ruptured a tendon!

Any advice or thoughts please, I'm going back to university in a few weeks and really want to be on the road to recovery

Offline tropical

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Patellar Tendonitis
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 06:47:54 AM »
Oh also - when I went to see the OS about my left knee, he didn't seem to bothered about it and said that often the uninjured leg "overcompensates" and starts hurting but this isn't just a small twinge, it feels like patellar tendonitis/a patellar tendon injury in the other leg.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Re: Patellar Tendonitis
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 04:40:10 PM »
There are different grades of patella tendonitis, it's a very common knee complaint. If it becomes a chronic knee condition restricting you in everyday activities that we take for granted, more needs to be done to try and rectify the inflamed patella tendon. The exercises that I have been given is similar doing isometric hold wall squats, holding your kneecap at a 30 degree angle for 45 seconds 3 times in a row twice a day. 

Next stage that's meant to be very successful is electrical shockwave therapy sessions (ESWT) many OSís and sports physicians say it has a very high success rate? I am not so convinced that such a simple procedure can suddenly fix chronic PT! I have had the condition since RK scope #2 back in July 2014, it has never been right since!

Many OSís seem reluctant to go ahead with whatís known as patella decompression surgery saying it a high risk surgery that could make the knee worse rather than better! Then other OSís are saying it a minor surgery with a high success rate and a rapid recovery. It becomes confusing with such difference of opinions.

I have had 3 cortisone injections last year in a short space of time around the PT, making no difference, it increases the risk of the PT rupturing. The tiny bit of a bump on the tibia tuberosity sounds very similar to my symptoms, a knotting feeling, I have been told is not of a concern, it's only inflammation around the PT! Swelling means that the knee is not happy, it is a biased opinion saying there is nothing to be concerned about. It is very obvious if you can feel and even can hear it around the TT, that something not right.

Appreciate that this posting is over a year old, I have seen that tropical no longer logs onto KG anymore. It is good to give my personal opinion and experiences of managing and coping with patella tendonitis for such a long time period. I am still not making any progress, becomes frustrating after a certain time period not making any progress what so ever.

[email protected]
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming