Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: SaluCartilage in Canada  (Read 7449 times)

Offline brattkids

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • here's to a pain free tomorrow!!! Savvy
Re: SaluCartilage in Canada
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2005, 01:33:42 AM »
cc44,

I had the synthetic OBI plugs for OATS and they did not work for me. I had them both on the medial and lateral femoral chondyles and both sides failed within a year. I then had a traditional OATS on one side and the cadaver allograft on the other and I am now doing pretty good. I still have limited pain at times but am feeling much better and am doing the stairs with out having to hold on and doing them regular. My last OATS was sept 28 ,2005 so I think I am getting along great.

Just wanted to let you know that there is light at the end of the tunnel and I hope you get some pain relief soon

Paulette
4/04 microfracture
5/04 debris removal
8/04 OATS with synthetic plugs
11/04 OATS traditional autograft medial femoral chondyle
05/05 debris removal and OATS assessment
6/05 Cadaver Allograft OATS lateral femoral chondyle
9/05 OATS redone could not save allograft plug
12/2006 2007 and 2008 scop

Offline cc44

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2005, 09:33:57 PM »
Something else I am worried about is the fact that both of these doctors in the practice say that unless it is a transplant, then you don't use crutches at all, nor CPM, nor is there any kind of brace or something to protect and support the knee afterwards, which does not seem to be the standard--maybe it is if it is only lavage and debridement, but for microfracture?  It seems counter-intuitive to put weight on a knee that is trying to form a clot.  On top of all of this, I have been mostly unemployed since shortly after this injury, but frantically job-hunting and interviewing and working part-time and doing job training classes, and I am running out of unemployment and savings, and if I do get a job before the surgery that starts afterwards, if I show up on crutches, I will lose the job, or if I go to interviews on crutches I won't get the job, and to prove the reason is due to temporarily disability I won't have a leg to stand on (ha-ha) because the answer would be that I should have gone on disability, which then I'm worried would be in my permanent record and keep me from getting jobs in the future, anything in which they do a background check.  Which brings me back to why I still wish I could get a name of any doctor that does the SaluCartilage implant in the first place--I would sell my car to pay for it, because at least if it worked I would have a shorter recovery and I could get back to being functional and be capable of working at more types of jobs and not showing up on interviews noticeably limping.

Offline cc44

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2006, 04:28:21 PM »
Since I last replied, I heard from two doctors--one in Canada unfamiliar with this procedure and did not know of anyone performing it, and the one mentioned in another forum in Italy.

In any event, tomorrow I am having something done, and it was supposed to be any one of the other procedures mentioned, but I am very against the idea of microfracture--I do not see the point of months of recovery and pain, just to know that it will not last more than a few years.  So I have that this not be done.  I have requested that if at all possible just do lavage and debndement, as that recovery sounds the shortest, and I feel like that should be what is tried first.  I hope I am not making a mistake by requesting only this for now.

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2006, 05:02:01 PM »
CC44,

Hi, hope that the debridement and lavage works for you.  It is not known for long-lasting results.  I've had that & did not have any pain relief at all & I'm almost 6 months post-op.  Really can't see why you would not have the microfracture surgery - you might get over five years pain relief from the procedure......
Good luck with whichever procedure you have.  ~Shade
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline cc44

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2006, 11:58:40 PM »
I finally got a call about what happened yesterday, and now I'm told the knee was "fine", so I just went through anthoscopy for nothing?  When I get the stitches out I am supposed to see the pictures and report.  What was found was a "minimal" lesion which was not corrected, and a "hypertrophic fat pad overgrowth" near the tibia that was not caused by the fall?  In any event this "fluff" was trimmed, and maybe that is going to help?  I wish I would have been given the size of the lesion, and is it true that small lesions do not cause pain?

support