Lateral release, medial reefing, VMO advancement, and TTT-  3/2/04
Screw removal- 5/24/05
Cortisone injection to pes anserine- 7/27/05
Femoral derotation osteotomy, TTT revision- 10/18/07

Iona_-Uk

Re: cortisone shot ????
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2003, 09:51:55 AM »
Hi

I'm not a great fan of cortisone shots, but thats from a personal exprinece with my partner, who didn't find it helped at all and he feel it made him worse. BUT my dad had one on his wrist which worked wonders, but it took  3 shots over a year to get that effect.

Good luck
Iona

Offline Ross

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • it only hurts when I larf!
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2003, 08:06:30 AM »
cat, cortisone is wonderful stuff, unfortunately it doesn't always work (but then surgery is a bit like that too!) It can certainly speed a recovery in many cases.  

Some of us who have had it for other than knee problems can tell you that it can be pretty unpleasant when the local anaesthetic wears off until about forty-eight hours after the injection, everything has its price!  On the up side, some folks get instantaneous relief and no nasty after effects.  

I pray you'll be in the second group but even if you miss out on that I think you will find the benefits outweigh the penalties.  God bless kid!
I'm a grumpy old bear with a busted knee.  The growling you hear is my tummy rumbling!

Offline oneillii

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2003, 04:45:38 PM »
Hey Cat

I'm posting this where I hope you'll see it...

My mom was dx'd with IT band problems also and just given a stretching routine, which helped somewhat. She told me yesterday that what helped her the most was experimenting with different types of shoes and "evaluating" them based on her pain at day's end.

Anyway, she has been symptom free for about 8 months (mind you she's probably less active than you, but still). Anyway, was thinking of you and wanted to pass that on! Susan
arthroscopy 11/06/02

Offline neil

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2003, 05:27:25 PM »
cat
let me relay a story told to me by an ex nfl football player.  it is cortisone related. he was an all star, college hall of famer and at one time considered the best at his position. football being the physical sport it is, his career ended when he was 32, very young in my eyes, and shoulder injuries were the main cause. during his career, to keep him playing he had a number of cortisone shots in his shoulder. double figures, but he wanted to play and that was the way, plus all the other players did it.  he now looks back with constant pain in his shoulder ( 3 operations while playing, one post playing ) and he swears the cortisone was THE WORST thing he did to himself. he wishes he allowed his body to heal instead of rushing himself back with cortisone. he knows fellow players who no longer have functional ankles , knees, elbows due to the number of shots.  i was intrigued by his tale and asked my surgeon about cortisone, he said maximum shots in one location should be 3. i asked what would long term result be and he was non commital. not an overwhelming endorsement for cortisone, so i am under the  impression that i will not get a cortisone shot no matter what, as i dee this very healthy looking man struggle with playing with his kids or doing the most mundane things with his shoulders.   others may say it is the best thing they ever did, but my understanding is it fills the space and will eventually fade away, meaning you will need it again. a bandaid so to speak.  ask your surgeon not your therapist, my therapist tells me lots of things but i never hear the same thing from my surgeon.  good luck
neil
9-13-02 - present, 4 surgeries to right knee. quad severed, piece of femoral condyle cut off, shaving of patella. had cartilage implant 9-22-03, fluid drain, cultures & manipulation10-21-03

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 106
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2003, 09:22:01 AM »
Generally, one can differentiate between cortisone injected into the joint cavity and cortisone injected into structures outside the cavity (like the ITB) (ilio-tibial band). I personally would avoid shots inside the cavity.
KNEEgury
--
KNEEguru

Offline pstich

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: ????
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 05:53:09 AM »
 Do you guys know much about quad.tendon rupture and repair?  I had a quad. repair a little over a year ago.  The repair took well, but I have a residual 30 deg externion lag that I'm thinking of having revised next month.  Any advise?

Peter...