Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Which Knee Brace for snow boarding, 7 years after ACL recon  (Read 827 times)

Offline mitchzzr

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Which Knee Brace for snow boarding, 7 years after ACL recon
« on: December 05, 2005, 07:48:35 PM »
I'm looking for advice regarding how to prepare for my first ever snow boarding holiday.  It is 7 years since I had a ACL reconstruction.  The patella tendon used for the graft is slightly loose, but I've strengthened my hamstrings to compensate.  I now feel ready to try snow boarding but would welcome advice.  Specifically I'd like to know whether anyone would suggest a particular knee brace for the holiday.

Regards

Mitch (30 years old)

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
Re: Which Knee Brace for snow boarding, 7 years after ACL recon
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 06:40:11 AM »
I'd recommend going to see an orthopedic surgeon to have your ACL tested...it shouldn't be loose.  Just my opinion, but I'd think you'd want it as tight and strong as possible....the good news is that most snowboarders don't injure their knees!  Just their necks, shoulders, heads....nice, huh?

Anyway, an OS can test your ACL, recommend PT if necessary to really tighten things up (you need to work your quads in a specific way in addition to your hams to create balance), and send you to an orthotist to be fitted for a functional brace.

I have an Innovation Sports functional ACL brace, which provides the highest level of stability with a light fit suitable for sports.  It's great for me, providing lots of stability---it won't let my leg hyper-extend, which is my problem  I don't have an ACL problem, though.  My issues are with my patellar tendon and IT band.  Still, a good brace can improve your function and decrease your pain, giving you the confidence to be active.  However, you can still damage your leg, even with a brace on.  Some have even torn their reconstructed ACL's, so I would be very sure your knee is healthy and strong before hitting the slopes.  Just to be sure--it's an afternoon of your life that could hopefully save you some grief.

Here is a page on ACL recon and rehab, with a section listing popular braces.  Keep in mind that it's a brace shop, so it's trying to sell you stuff.  But I really like the Innovation Sports Edge brace they recommend.  http://www.jointhealing.com/pages/knee/acl_surg.html

Heather
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 07:04:39 AM by Heather M. »
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell