Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Hi from an RA newbie, and a question about peripheral nerves  (Read 4126 times)

Offline Marie29

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hi from an RA newbie, and a question about peripheral nerves
« on: February 08, 2006, 03:00:39 PM »
Hello, everyone,

I hope you're all having a good day.  I'm newly diagnosed w/ RA and thought I'd post. 

Prior to my RA diagnosis I thought I had cartilage issues w/ the patello-femoral joint, so you can find a lot of my case history there. 

I'm a 29 year old female living in the US.  I eat right, work out and have never been sick a day in my life.  My only issue was my knees; the would inflame when I got my period and when I overused them. 

Last spring I started taking pottery lessons (mounding and shaping clay on a pottery wheel).  I never had any problems last spring.  Mid-October the class started again, and I attempted to center a rather large piece of clay on the wheel.  I strained my wrists in the process.  A few days later I went on vacation and carried a lot of luggage on a daily basis.  When I arrived home I noticed my wrists were on fire.  The initial diagnosis was tendonitis.  When they didn't improve after a month, I went to an OS for the hands who diagnosed carpal tunnel and gave me a cortisone shot in the right wrist (the worst one).  I am able to use my hands and wrists, but my hands, wrists, arms, shoulders and upper back "tingle," so I know I still have some nerve entrapment. 

Since I was without the use of my hands in November, I was unable to drive.  I did a lot of my errands on foot, and, as a result, sustained an overuse injury to my knees.  Months later, the knees still hadn't healed, so a knee OS ordered blood tests to see if I had rheumatic arthritis. 

My sedrate came back as 17 and my rheumatoid factor came back as 20.  My anti CCP came back as a 7.  I have no nodules or range of motion problems.  My rheumatologist says I have a mild case and that we caught it early.  She put me on methotrexate and folic acid, both of which I will begin today. 

My primary concern (for now), is my nerves.  Literally!   :)  I have tingling in both arms, both hands, both shoulders, both thighs, both knees, both shins/calves, both ankles, both feet.  It seems to be nerve entrapment from swelling from the injury sites.  I've read that peripheral neuropathy can accompany RA.  Will methotrexate eliminate the entrapment?  Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Any general RA advice is also appreciated.  I have a lot of learning to do! 

Thanks,
Marie

Offline Marie29

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Hi from an RA newbie, and a question about peripheral nerves
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 03:10:57 PM »
Oh, yes, ranges would be helpful.  As to the RF, the lab says > 14 is a positive sign.

Offline Marie29

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 03:38:47 PM »
Hi, does anyone have any thoughts?  Marie

Offline tiggs

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 04:48:42 PM »
Hi there,

I dont have knowledge of R/A but it was the tingling and nerve sensations that caught my eye.
Have you had MRI scans or examination of your neck done, ? I dont want to cause alarm bells to start ringing but it might be an ides to have the discs checked in the neck and shoulder area.
My mum who is on this site (silva) has problems with tingling down her right arm, numbness in her fingers and sometime terrible pain. Her physio has established that this is all being caused by C6 and as she is getting on a bit in life this is down to degeneration of her disc where by it sits in towards the nerves and caused compression. I know it is only effecting her rifght side but other disc can cause both sides to effected.

I too have had a spinal injury  although mine was very severe as my disc had compressed my spinal chord and it was causing alot of problems including numbness in my legs  and feet and fingers. Mine was c5/6 .

As i said dont get alarmed discs compressing on nerves can happen and physio in alot of cases can relieve the problem,but I would get this checked out if only for piece of mind . Nerves can take a very long time to regenerate but the sooner a problem is detected the more likely it can be rectified.

Good luck and I hope every thing imporves for you soon.

Tiggs.
Age 37,
bouncy castle injury at ripe old age of 24 !! 1992 ?
ACL recon x 1 failed screw came out ! 03
Arthroscopy  04
ACL recon patella version x1 ok still not great .04
mcl, pcl, pol, recon in 1 weeks time !!  may 05
Had op may 05 Mcl, pcl, acl, pol all doing well not so sure about LCL !

support