Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Negative RA test but arthritis spreading ? Help  (Read 6545 times)

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
    • My photo album
Negative RA test but arthritis spreading ? Help
« on: December 05, 2005, 12:58:01 PM »
Hello all, I am sure some of you have read my previous posts. After 7 surgeries in 3 years, I developed fibromyalgia, well, now I have been diagnosed with arthritis in several areas but I test negative for RA. I have OA in my knees and ankles from the accident and subsequint surgeries but now , I have arthritis in my hands, elbows, shoulders and mid back. I just had an MRI on my enitire spine and it was discovered that I had a large bone spur and arthritis in my mid spine. What on earth is going on? How did I end up with this wide spread arthritis and it not be RA? Can you have RA and still test negative? My GP says yes but I just dont know. Anyone have any ideas on this one? Is it possible to have RA and test negative? How can you have OA in so many areas without injuries (I am only 42 so I am a bit young to have so much arthritis).

any thoughts welcome.

missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline gailbert1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Negative RA test but arthritis spreading ? Help
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 07:17:14 PM »
I was diagnosed at 16 with RA, but not just through a simple blood test.  I went through many months of RA testing, including what (I think) was called Flora and Fauna (?) testing...multiple blood tests designed to indicate RA.  My doctor recently also told me that the standard blood testing is more often wrong than not...mine came back negative as well, but that was definately incorrect...ask for more thourough testing...hope that helps...

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 07:27:55 PM »
Missy -

My grandmother had RA, and she was diagnosed in her late 40s (I think).  I know - you don't want to see any more doctors, but maybe it's time to see a rheumatologist.  Especially since some of the newer treatments actually treat the disease and how your body works, not just the pain.  Plus - a rheumatologist may run tests for a number of other auto-immune diseases just to be sure.

Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 10:56:08 PM »
Jess, with my luck , they would FIND another auto immune disease for me to have. They already think that I have 2 of them. Why borrow trouble ? LOL I am thinking about seeing a Rheumy, I might do it, we shall see. You did make a good point on the phone today about doing it while the deductable is paid up.

missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline BFarr

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 09:03:45 PM »
I test negative for RA. Fortunately I have an excellent primary physician. He wouldn't back off until I agreed to consult a Rheumatoligist. I've been treated agressively for several years. There are excellent therapies out there. My symptoms have minimized since consulting a Rheumatoligist. Unfortunately a great deal of damage occured before I chose to address it.  Good luck [email]

Offline baconbits

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2006, 12:10:50 AM »
Hi Missy,
Get an appointment with a Rheumy instead of a GP.  Ask about a desease call Ankylosing Spondylitis.  Also check out the website   www.kickas.org
You may find what you are looking for.
Cindy

Offline Marie29

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 04:19:04 AM »
Yes, it's possible.  I just saw a rheumatologist at the Mayo Clinic, who says 5% of the healthy population has a postive rheumatoid factor, and 20% of those w/ RA have a negative rheumatoid factor.  Symptom observation - swelling, gelling of joints - is key to diagnosis. 

I have chondromalacia in both knees, and my OS couldn't figure out why it was so painful.  So he sent me to a rheum for bloodwork.  My rheum factor came back a weak positive, my anti-CCP was negative, and my sedrate was normal.  I have no swelling or stiffness.  My primary rheumatologist dxed RA and put me on methotrexate.  Immediately after the diagnosis I started experiencing widespread joint pain, but no swelling or stiffness.  I sought a 2d opinion from a Mayo rhem who said, based on my symptoms, I don't have RA, and provided me w/ the above stats about rheum factors in the general population. 

I've been under a lot of strain these last few months due to various injuries (I haven't been able to drive a car since October), and am now wondering if my RA "symptoms" are psychosomatic. 

It's been a back and forth process.  Whe I first heard RA I was really upset, but there are so many drugs out there, really.  Both my rheums were confident that I'd live well with RA--that is till the Mayo dr started wondering if I even had it!  It had reached a point where I wouldn't have even minded having it--the treatments are so good. 

Now I'm back to work on the chondromalacia.  I had cortisone shots, which provided a month of blissful relief, but they have now worn off. 

Adventuring with you,

Marie

support