Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Which injection to choose and contraindications  (Read 1992 times)

Offline beachtiglet

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Which injection to choose and contraindications
« on: November 05, 2005, 05:43:16 PM »
My mom has no cartiledge in her knees and has been walking bone-on-bone for a while because a blood infection prevents tkr (or tjr).  I am trying to do research on the knee injections available and determine which one is the newest available, which one people have had the most success with and which ones have contraindications involving blood infections.  So far I've come up with synvisc (which seems to have that contraindication and the possibility of giant cell foreign body reaction), and supartz, ostenil, and durolane which I know nothing about.   Any advice you can give would be GREATLY appreciated! 

Thanks!  Beach

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
Re: Which injection to choose and contraindications
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 12:44:22 PM »
Beach,

From my limited knowledge about knee injections - it is my understanding that the OS decides which injection is best suited to the patient .....
Has your mother had any injections to date?  I see that you posted this on Nov. 5th....  If so, hopefully, by now she will have some relief from the pain.  I've noticed that the injections give great cusioning and keeps me pretty pain-free, but do not know how long this lasts - seems like everyone is different.  I've heard anywhere from not helping to 6 to 12 months pain relief..... 
Hoping you mother finds good results soon.   ~Shade
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT