Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Experimenting with Powerisers to re-build leg muscles  (Read 9400 times)

Offline bcicio

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
    • BCteez - KNEEE & HIP SURGERY T-SHIRTS
Experimenting with Powerisers to re-build leg muscles
« on: November 22, 2005, 06:27:11 PM »
Hey guys,

Something a little out of the norm.  I've had double ACL recons and 30 years of other knee surgeries -- so my legs have really taken a beating and my leg muscles are pretty pitiful.  Any jarring of my legs kills my knees, and bicycling is just too boring for me.  I came across this new piece of sports/exercise equipment called "Powerisers" ("Powerskips" in Europe) and have started using them to exercise with.  They seem to be low-impact on my knees and really give my legs and heart a workout.  I've even modified part of it so I can wear my Donjoy braces with it.  See photo.

http://images.tribe.net/tribe/upload/photo/6ae/983/6ae9835c-945f-475a-88dd-e70747130ead

Here's a video of them in action.  Sorry, it's like a commercial -- but it is only the video and no ordering information.

http://eng.poweriser.co.kr/movie/poweriser_middle_200.wmv

Anyway...  I'm NOT ENDORSING this method of exercising after the knees have healed just yet.  Unfortunately, I have a meniscus tear (unrelated to this) that needs to be repaired next month before I can get on these things full time and really start rebuilding my muscles.  I've used them at the park several times and I'm already addicted to them.  I'm 55 years old -- but still 16 in my head.  It's a curse.

Bill C.
1973 - R. patella lig relocate (Hauser)
1974 - L. patella lig relocate (Hauser)
1978 - R. medial meniscus trim
1979 - L. medial meniscus trim
1988 - Bilateral medial meniscus trim
2000 - L. ACL recon (allograft)
2001 - R. ACL recon (allograft)
2005 - L. debrisment
9/14/11 - BTKR (single surgery)

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
Re: Experimenting with Powerisers to re-build leg muscles
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 10:23:50 PM »
Bill C.

Watched the video and these powerisers look really cool, but they scare me  - I'd be so afraid of falling with them on. 

If it is working for you though and getting your muscles back again that is great.  Good luck and take it easy.  ~Shade
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline bcicio

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 03:08:36 PM »
Yeah Shade, falling is a little scary but I'm not doing anything crazier than some light jogging and bouncing so it isn't that bad -- especially with pads on.  Unfortunately, I'm pretty much on hold now as my meniscus surgery is approaching and I don't want to risk additional damage to it.  But I am going through withdrawals!
2005 - L. debrisment

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 10:02:15 PM »
Bcicio,

I was just teasing you a little..... Good luck with your upcoming meniscus surgery.  Let us know how everything goes.   ~Shade
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline Boydy

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 07:53:11 AM »
Hi bill,

Oh wow !!  Those things look amazing, I will have to keep an eye out for them for my son, he would just love them. Good on you for having a go, and well done for actually being able to do it !!  :o  I'm afraid I'm with Shade, they scare me as well, and the guy doing it on one leg,  :o  :o  oouuuccchhhh,  I cringed with every bounce he took !!  LOL   ;)  But if you don't get pain from using them I think that is wonderful, they look like they would give you a great leg muscle workout !!!  Hope your problems get sorted out real quick, I have a feeling that nothing much will slow you down, keep up the good work, and have a  'Happy Bouncing New Year'   ;)
Boydy
Arthroscope to repair meniscus tear, 10/04
Arthroscope for Lateral Release & repair another medial meniscal tear, 2/05
"Time heals all wounds"
Gosh I sure hope so !!

Offline bcicio

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 12:37:42 AM »
Hi Boydy,

Well I just had my meniscus surgery last week, so I am on the mend.  Surgery went well.  Probably will be a few month before I can get back on the Powerisers and do some serious running and jumping, but the weather will be better then anyway.  I showed the device to my os and he thought they would probably be the best way for me to get exercise because the springs are not jarring on my knees.  It's like being on a trampoline, but without the trampoline.

Google "Powerisers" if interested in finding more information about them.

Bill C.
2005 - L. debrisment

Offline bcicio

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 02:41:48 PM »
There are a lot more videos of the Powerisers in action on the below webpage.  (Note: You'll need to have the free Quicktime software on your computer to run them.)

http://www.swebounce.com/gallery/categories.php?cat_id=2       The one called "Extreme" is my favorite.

Meniscus surgery went well, but the OA (bone to bone) in my medial compartment is pretty bad.  I just got measured for a Townsend Air unloader brace so hopefully I'll have that soon and will be up and bouncing.  Can't wait.  Been working out on an elliptical trainer in the meantime which is pretty easy on the knees.  Can't jog 2 steps on the ground, but can go 20 minutes now on the elliptical trainer. 

Bill C.
2005 - L. debrisment

Offline cardy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 06:46:44 PM »
Hi Bill,

Hope you are doing fine and still bocking.
I`d like to know if your experience with Powerisers is still positive.
I`m 46 and had an ACL recon 2 years ago.
Recently I thought I`d move up from pogo stick to jumping stilts and ordered a pair from air trekkers. Then I got cold feet remembering that my reconstructed ACL is expected to be 85% the strength of a normal one. So while waiting for the package I started looking for info and came upon your post.
I`d love to get into this sport but I don`t know how it ranks in terms ACL injuries. I injured my right knee 3 years ago while ground handling a paraglider. I think it was due to my lack of skills at the time. Since then I have done same thing many times over with no issues so I don`t blame it on paragliding.
Anyway, I would really appreciate further comments on the topic of jumping stilts and ACL

Silviu, Toronto, Ontario

support