Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Osgood Schlatters  (Read 15377 times)

Offline Emilyer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Osgood Schlatters
« on: November 21, 2005, 10:03:49 PM »
My daughter who is eleven years old has been diagnosed with OS, she was a dancer and keen sportsplayer, which she is now taking a break from.  She has just started physio, and has been stretching the quad muscles.  However, she seems to be in so much pain that even using ice packs and painkillers do not seem to help.  The pain starts even when having total (almost bed) rest and can last for three or four days.   Her kness is also very tender and swollen.  Can any other OS sufferer identify with this,  I`m feeling extremely frustrated that I can`t seem to help.  I thought the OS flared up with exercise and eased quickly with rest?

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
Re: Osgood Schlatters
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 12:18:59 AM »
Osgood schlatters will not go away until your daughter stops growing. Both of my kids have it and my husband had it too. We slowed down their activities but did not stop them altogether. You say that she does not feel better with rest, how long is she resting? Is she doing anything to keep the knee inflamed? My kids wore one of those straps around the tibial tubercle (cant spell that) and it seemed to help when they played soccer. good luck
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline Emilyer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 10:17:28 PM »
Hi Missy
Thanks for your reply, my daughter had quite bad pain on Friday night and so stayed indoors on the settee all of Saturday and Sunday, even with this she was in pain for most of both days, we keep icing the leg and giving her anit inflamataries but these seem to do very little,  the inflamation of the knee seems to be lingering even though she has stopped all physical exercise.  I`m beginning to feel as is there is very little that can be done for her pain.  Over the last month she has probably had only three or four days without pain which is very frustrating.  I was lead to believe that the pain would only happen when she was doing exercise but reading through this forum it seems as though there will be bouts of pain and she has got to learn to live with it, which is a shame for an eleven year old.  But, thanks for your replies its good to know that others are putting up with this too!
P.S. where did you get the support strap from, can I buy on from a chemist?
Roseanne

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2005, 12:46:30 AM »
I am assuming that you are not from the US. I bought them at Walmart. YOu can also order them from Eurosport magazine. I think that their website is soccer.com.
good luck
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline vix

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2005, 06:55:35 AM »
As you have probably read from this section my son has it very badly bi-lateraly ,have you seen a good ortha surgeon and has he done a MRI scan to double check there is no underlying cause?.Im afraid my son is never without pain now ,he is on alot of drugs but they only lesson the pain slightly.He totally gave up any sports (he played a lot of rugby) over a year ago.The education department send home tutors round when he cannot get out because of the pain.Are you in England?.The only bonus is you know it will stop when her growth spurt ends.If I can help at all let me know ,we've tried everything going!!!!

Offline VLCollins

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2005, 10:09:12 PM »
I wanted to let you know that my daughter uses the original cho-pat strap from chopat.com.  They come in an extra small while many of the other straps on the market are not small enough therefore not providing any relief.  She was a competitive gymnast working out 20+hours a week and iced every morning, before and after workouts and was without pain for a while.  She eventually quit due to homework issues and started cheerleading, track and cross country.  Don't recommend the cross country since it came back so we have now dropped that. 

Offline knerdy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2006, 09:45:26 PM »
I'm a 16 year old female and I've had OS since I was 10. I was a very keen footballer until the pain got so bad I could not continue. I went to see an othopaedic surgeon who suggested that if I was in that much pain then surgery is the best option. I'm still waiting to have surgery but it will almost certainly stop all pain. All the surgeon does is separate the patellar tendon at the front of the knee and shave back the cartilige which causes the pain. Sounds simple and I'll let you know more once I've had surgery!

Offline vix

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 07:12:39 PM »
hi knerdy
        they operated on my son ,both legs last year to try and cure his OSD,it didnt work have a good think before you go ahead with it,it caused a few problems

Offline tony1233

• Forum Faithful
  • http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?pid=4026561&o
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2006, 12:52:49 AM »
 Isn't this a growing pain how would the surgery help this ? because if I have OS then I will be requesting this surgery
09/30/07 Diagnosed with partial ACL tear (left knee)
02/03/10 American Football injury, Diagnosed with ACL & MCL complete tear (right knee)
(R)lateral meniscotomy 08/11/10
(L) Lateral meniscotomy 10/28/11
(L) MCL & Medial Meniscus tear 07/12
(L) injury 01/23/12

Offline vix

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2006, 01:18:20 PM »
I think there are a few different operations to try and help ease the pain of OSD but the surgeons will only perform these ops in worst case scenarios as our surgeon said youve got nothing to lose as my son was housebound from OSD.He told us the success rate was 50/50 .There is a forage op where he went in to both knees and really loosened everything up around the growth plates and I am not sure if they also drilled some of the growth plate,there is also the op to remove the ossicle that forms under the knee and another to remove loose fragments of bone; as well as the op mentioned in the previous posting .

Offline tony1233

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2006, 12:19:07 AM »
 I am just too active to let the pain stop me from playing . I played a bit of soccer to day and went to volleyball tryouts and now my knee is the worst ever but , this morning it was the best it was for a long time does this sound like OSD ?
02/03/10 American Football injury, Diagnosed with ACL & MCL complete tear (right knee)
(L) injury 01/23/12

Offline vix

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2006, 06:24:43 AM »
not sure about that, OSD is ment to get better with rest and as you have not been resting it seems unlikely why dont you ask for a MRI to confirm diagnosis? :-\

Offline tony1233

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2006, 11:25:12 AM »
 A MRI that will take at least 5-6 months here to get it  . I am waiting to see my doctor when he gets back frm vacation .
(L) injury 01/23/12

Offline vix

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2006, 09:42:53 AM »
our orthopaedic surgeon told us it was the only way to rule out everything else but they only did it when the OSD was bad not initially and he said if my son refused to give up sports they would put him in plaster hip to toe to immobolise him which they eventually did

Offline tony1233

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2006, 08:00:39 PM »
Oh poop
(L) injury 01/23/12

support