Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Saw OS yesterday  (Read 936 times)

Offline CGP

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Saw OS yesterday
« on: March 12, 2003, 10:29:31 PM »
Hello everyone

Well yesterday I saw an orthopedic surgeon here in Victoria. After quizzing me for 8 min. he, with a locum (trainee) both did an examination; viewing me standing to check for any obvious bow-leggedness or knock needness, had me do deep squat, did some moving around while on the exam table, then sent me for more x-rays taken while standing, 4 different viewings. He dismissed any idea of a torn cartilage noted there was good stability with knee. After viewing x-rays the 3 of us looked at them. What was apparent was a smaller space on the medial side between the femur & tibia while there was adequate space on the lateral side. Also it was noted a  lot of roughening under kneecap almost to being bone on bone. He pointed out surgery wouldn't be needed at this time though he did offer getting a synvisc injection or maybe years down the road getting this high -tech knee brace known as an unloader. This would take a lot of pressure off the medial side though it wouldn't be great for running purposes. His advice regarding running was to stay of the roads, stay away from hills (which is hard around Victoria) continue with x-training etc.
Well this wasn't too much devastating news though I never am eager to see x-rays of myself.

Off to PT this pm.

Chris
Arthrocsopic surgery on left knee for patella plica & partial synovectomy, Nov., 1982 No problems until June,97 stumble during relay, patella-femoral injury, PT. No problems with left knee 'til now.

Offline oneillii

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: Saw OS yesterday
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2003, 01:59:27 AM »
Hi Chris

Been wondering how things have been going with your PT!

I think it's so interesting how your OS says running is OK as long as you avoid roads and hills! My OS has all but told me to avoid running, even though the area behind my kneecap was, to quote him, "slight softening." No bone on bone or anything...

Oh well; I am trying to avoid anything that causes pain anyway, but still...I hope you are noticing a decrease in symptoms as PT progresses! Susan
arthroscopy 11/06/02

support