Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Newby needing advice, Docs no help  (Read 632 times)

Offline nomorski

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Newby needing advice, Docs no help
« on: November 17, 2005, 09:09:14 PM »
Hello, After a couple years of PT for a diagonsed patellar tendonitis, I finally had a lateral release.  However, it was too late and my meniscus cartilage developed a big pot hole from tracking incorrectly.  PT has done nothing to remedy the pain since my knee is basically acting just like a car tire over a pot hole everytime it moves and rubbing bone to bone.  Is there any kind of cartilage replacement out there or anyway to repair it?  This has been driving me nuts and now that the snow is coming it is even worse, no more skiing.  Any suggestions would be great.

Lance

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Newby needing advice, Docs no help
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 09:26:06 PM »
I haven't heard of a "pothole" in the meniscus before, that term is usually applied to articular cartilage.

However, the 2 options I can think of are a major meniscectomy (what they do for a tear), where they would cut away the meniscus to get the section with the hole out, but depending on the location of the damage, that may not help much.  They also do meniscus transplants from cadavers.  I think it's still considered experimental by many insurance companies, but it's worth researching.

Good luck.
Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

support