Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: What does medial reefing mean?  (Read 2955 times)

Offline Lynette

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
What does medial reefing mean?
« on: November 17, 2005, 11:15:31 AM »
It has been suggested by my surgeon today that I should eventually consider having a lateral release and medial reefing operation.  I have had lots of knee operations recently so I've been advised to perhaps wait until next summer to give my knee a rest.  I am unable to bend my leg more than 40 degrees and unable to fully straighten it and have been on crutches for a year and a half.  I also have mal tracking problems and had surgery on my other knee but at least i have full movement of that knee.

My question is what exactly is medial reefing?

I have been told that this is a risky operation as my original problems of flexion and extension came on after an earlier operation which took out all of my lateral cartilage and gave me a lateral release. therefore I dion't seem to fair well after open knee surgery. He said my knee could improve considerably after this operation or be worse.  Yet the thought of staying like this for the rest of my life [I'm 34] is horrible.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation where they had little flexion before a lateral release and medial reefing yet afterwards have improved or was worse.

What does medial reefing involve?  Is it a bad operation?  What about the rehab?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks
Left -  total lateral meninsectomy '93 partial meninsectomy 99.  Right -  partial lateral meninsectomies Jan/July 03  total lateral meninsectomy, lateral release Nov 03 scar tissue removal  MUA Jun 04 Arthroscopy Aug 2005 synovitis, oesteoarthritis, articular cartilage arthritis. Mal-tracking right

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
Re: What does medial reefing mean?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 12:02:48 PM »
Hi,

Can only help you with the definition........

Medial Reefing
When the patella (kneecap) tends to ride too far to the lateral (outer) side of the knee (lateral tracking or 'maltracking'), the surgeon may try to loosen the structures on the lateral side (lateral release) or tighten them on the medial (inner) side - medial reefing. This is done with some stitches (sutures) and may be done arthroscopically (via keyhole surgery). Lateral release and medial reefing may be done at the same time.

Good luck,

Shade
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: What does medial reefing mean?
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 02:06:51 PM »
Hi Lynette

Is your OS planning to do the LR and medial reefing on your maltracking knee?  Or did you have maltracking on the other knee?

If he is planning on doing it on your maltracking knee I wouldn't be too optimistic about the outcome, success rates for LR and MR being done to rectify maltracking are not so good and certainly didn't work in my case (although I was lucky that it didn't make it worse as it does with a  lot of people).  Is maltracking your main problem?  If so, maybe a TTT would be a better option for you, although it is a bigger procedure, the success rates are a lot better than the LR/MR.

Anyways, medial reefing, as Shade said, is where they tighten the structures on the inside of the knee and is usually done in conjunction with the LR, I did find that the stitches of the MR gave me quite a lot of pain, just as much if not more than the LR itself, I am still tender to this day (10 years on) in that same area on the medial side, I'm not sure if its still to do with the stitches or more to do with osteoarthritis, all I know is it still hurts.  Recovery for this type of operation varies greatly from a few weeks to several months, just depends on the person. 

Natalie.
Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements