Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee Locking  (Read 1672 times)

Offline Milli219

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee Locking
« on: November 16, 2005, 06:26:39 PM »
Has anyone had anything similar to my situation? 
About 6 years ago (I am 25 now) I was sleeping and all of a sudden I woke up with the worst pain in my life.  My knee/leg was locked in a 90 degree angle.  I could not move it either way.  I don't even know how it went away.  The longest it stayed like that was 2 hours.  I still deal with this.  I have to sleep with my right leg completely straight and if I move in the middle of the night to a bent position it will lock on me.  It usually happens in the middle of the night, however it has happend twice while sitting down in a chair.  I went to an orthopedic surgeon and he did an MRI...it came back normal.  He said he couldn't do anything unless he could see what he was dealing with (I could lay in his office all day for all I know).  He gave me anti-inflammatory medicine which was later taken off the market (Bextra).  I have an appointment with a neurologist on Tuesday to see if has something to do with my nerves.  I have done so much research on what it could be and I am just at a total loss.  It is so frustrating to have to always be fearful of this happening at night.  Also...Is anyone familar with MS?  I was wondering if this could be a symptom of that?  I have other stuff like concentration problems, depression, etc. that maybe that could be it?  I appreciate any input. 

Offline Milli219

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Knee Locking
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 06:49:41 PM »
Oh...I just want to add that I cannot remember ever doing anything to hurt my knee and I am not in pain until it happens.
Thanks.

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • OSCAR
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 08:15:28 PM »
Hi Milli,

My knee sometimes locks but not in the same way as yours. I think you need to go back to your OS. Get some x-rays and an ultrasound scan done too. Hopefully one of them will show something up. You shouldn't have to live like this, constantly in fear of what's gonna happen with your knee - although you'll find that most of us have felt that way at times!
If you get no positive agreement or answers from your OS I'd recommend a second opinion. After all, it's your knee and even if your OS recommends something, if you're not happy with it, you can refuse it.
You don't say what type of pain you're experiencing. Is it worse at night or a different type of pain at night? Is it aggravated by certain activities you can think of or just as a result of bending it? Have you considered wearing a cricket splint at night? This would ensure your leg cannot be bent whilst sleeping. Do you take pain meds when necessary? Has anyone suggested arthritis, RSD, lupus, MS or ME? There are a whole host of different things that could be wrong and I think an early medical diagnosis is your best bet. The earlier you have a diagnosis, the earlier you can work at getting better.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Regards,

Laura.
Left knee surgery
08/06/02 - L/Release
13/08/03 - Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05 - Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06 - Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06 - RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07- Excision of scar tissue
30/07/07 - PKR suggested by OS (no date yet)

Offline smeagol

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 11:19:33 AM »
I have no idea what it could be.  I would just like to say I totally understand.  On many occasions I have had my knee lock, no movement possible and intense pain.  I was told it was just me knee condition (synovial osteochondromatosis) but the MRI didnt show anything significant enough to be causing that locking and pain.  Keep at it.  there is somethign wrong.  it is possible for meniscal tears to cause locking, or pieces of bone or cartilage in the knee to make it lock, but again these should show up on an MRI.  The annoying thing is, sometimes they dont.  the MRI said my knee was fine, it blatantly isnt as i have pain constantly, and sometimes it gets very much worse.  If your OS cant help ask to see a different one.  try everything you can and eventually someone will be able to help.
charlotte
About 10 years of pain, 3 arthroscopys, and still no help with my condition or my current problem.  And I'm only 20!

Offline badkneedgal

• Regular Poster
    • A Day in the Life
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 04:57:01 PM »
Milli,
Aren't knees wonderful?!  I hope you get some answers!  To see MS lumped in with this is very scary!  i don't know that much about it, but I have known a couple of people who've had it...I just never made a connection to knee problems and MS.  I've never had an"injury" to the knee that I'm aware of, but even when I was a little girl my knees popped, and made noises that knees shouldn't make...expecially young knees!  I guess that makes me think it's just genetic bad joints.  My daughter was diagnoised with Fibromyalgia, but her symtpoms have more to do with pain all over and the tender points asscoiated with fibro.  Although she also has some crackly knees!  Good luck to you...find someone who will listen and knows knees! 
Osteoarthritis, patellar tracking prblems in both knees, in 1st round of physical therapy
Probable Meniscus tear right knee, Surgery scheduled for 2/3/06

support