Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: steroids used on knee?  (Read 1125 times)

Offline thesmallestwall

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
steroids used on knee?
« on: November 16, 2005, 11:25:14 AM »
Hi all,
About 3 weeks ago I was diagnosed with bursitis and tendinitis (jumpers knee) on the same leg that I had ankle reconstructive surgery on in june due to recurrent sprains (I have stretchy joints). 2 weeks ago I went to physical therapy and we began some exercizes that really hurt, and when I went back yesterday he up-ed the exercizes and got me this prescription steroid liquid that he put on these little electrical patches and on my knee which are to stay for 24 hours. He said it would really help reduce the pain, but since it's been on all I've felt is more pain plus the added tinglyness of it. I go back on Monday where he's planning to do another dose of this stuff. I go back to the doctor for a checkup both on my ankle and my knee in the middle of december. Am I going the right route? All of the things being done are hurting more but I really don't know if there is any other availible treatments (ex. immobilization, surgery). I went through months of physical therapy that hurt on my ankle and now since the surgery I haven't felt an ounce of pain so i'm definitely not afraid of surgery. Any ideas???
Kate

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
Re: steroids used on knee?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 12:40:28 PM »
what your pt is doing is called Iontopheresis. I just finished a course of it for bursitis. It definately helped me. The point of it is to get the coritsone into the joint to calm the inflammation. My OS offered me that when I refused the standard cortisone shot. The cortisone will not hurt you. It should make the knee less inflamed.
What have you done to your knee? I have had 2 ankle ligament reconstructions and now my knee on that leg is acting up.

feel free to ask any questions that you might have, I will try to help if possible.

missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 03:00:39 PM »
Hi Kate,

I have also had the Ionto patches in PT.  They should help reduce the swelling from the bursitis and once the swelling is under control you should get some pain relief.  I am dealing with bursitis and tendonitis in my hip and was told that we had to get the inflammation in the bursa taken care of in order to clear up the tendonitis.  Good luck, I hope it helps.

Patty

Offline thesmallestwall

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 08:24:31 PM »
the procedure i had done on my ankle was a crissman snook which tightened the pereneol tendon...
the hardest thing with this is i was diagnosed with ehlers-danlos syndrome (hypermobility type) this summer when I had my surgery...and i'm a 16-year-old competitve tennis player who has now been off the courts for almost a year...
my knee seems like it has just stayed at the same bad point (but worse after the steroids) and I can't help but be skeptical with therapy since I spent 6 months in it for my ankle where we later found out they were stretching my pereneol tendon which was already too stretched out...this is a different therapist/doctor/hospital just im skeptical of the whole thing working....does anyone know what they do if it doesnt work?

Offline thesmallestwall

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 10:46:54 PM »
bump...any other ideas?

support