Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: posterior horn - reapiarable or remove?  (Read 901 times)

Offline jb-knee-geek

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
posterior horn - reapiarable or remove?
« on: November 15, 2005, 09:21:51 PM »
Hello all,  I just picked up my MRI pictures and radiologist report: "complex tear in the medial meniscus involving the posterior horn and body" 

Can someone translate please?

Also, how likely is a repair vs. meniscus removal when the posterioir horn is involved?

My OS says he can't tell until he gets in there. I'm going for a 2nd opinion Friday.
torn RK ACL March 2001, surgery Aug. 14 2006, after 4 knee sprains since Oct. '05.  Allograft, ~40% medial meniscus removed, some wear in the trochlear groove. Everything else looks good.

Post-op diary: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=29749.

Offline home_piece

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: posterior horn - reapiarable or remove?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 05:41:57 AM »
I had mine repaired on the 24th of Oct. Five little green stiches. Don't think the tear was that complex though. I had it done with my ACL reconstruction.

Offline jb-knee-geek

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 10:54:24 PM »
from the steadman hawkins site a comple tear is has more than one pattern, like longitudanal and horizontal....

My ROM is good, pain only at the most extreme squat and when running.

I wonder if these are good signs or not as far as a repair goes.... Anyone?
torn RK ACL March 2001, surgery Aug. 14 2006, after 4 knee sprains since Oct. '05.  Allograft, ~40% medial meniscus removed, some wear in the trochlear groove. Everything else looks good.

Post-op diary: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=29749.

harry78

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 04:45:58 PM »
Hello, I think that you could probably get away with the complex tear in the posterior horn with a possible menisectomy or repair, but it could have been worse. I had suffered a complex tear of the posterior horn in my lateral meniscus and my OS told me that it would need resecting and to be careful as the popliteus has an attachment there aswell as the PCL. I also have problems with deep squatting because the horn lies at the back of the knee.
I do believe this decision needs to be dicussed with your OS.
Harry

Offline Ronxski

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 04:59:21 PM »
Harry makes a good point, My posterior horn tear had my OS tell me that deep knee bends and squatting was to be avoided as much as possible from here on. My work sometimes has me painting baseboard trim on walls and he told me to either sit or lay on my side when I spend anytime down low.  I wear contractor knee pads to keep stable and if I have to kneel it helps a lot !!
Those first few months after surgery were tough , but I can actually sit with legs crossed now on the floor.

The OS should tell you what you can and can't do prior and after your surgery. Ron
partial meniscus removal, posterior horn of medial meniscus tear,horizontal cleavage type. Dec. O4
Age 56
back to cross country skiing and biking.

Offline jillo

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2005, 02:31:36 AM »
My first OS attempted a repair in my posterior horn which was pretty much a disaster- he used darts and ended up putting them through my popliteal tendon.  Ouch.  I had to have another surgery a year later to have the remains of the (supposedly dissovling) darts removed and still have problems with the tendon back there- pain on walking, total inability to squat or bend that leg deeply and I can't straighten my leg out all the way.  My second OS removed the torn piece of meniscus and told me that a) he usualy doesn't try a repair uless the meniscus was torn during something very traumatic like an ACL tear as he doesn't think the success rate is high enough and b) he ONLY repairs using stitches and not darts.  I'm a believer in his methods at this point!