Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Let's start a gratitude journal of sorts...  (Read 7061 times)

Offline Grace

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • wish i could fly like superman..or at least walk
Re: Let's start a gratitude journal of sorts...
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2002, 11:03:02 PM »
Today i am looking back on all the things i have gone through concerning my health (not just knees) and i am greatful none of things have killed me, though i had two close calls.

I am greatful for my lil' sister, Amanda!  She and i may argue and have had the occasional fist fight.....but she has come through for me since this all started...especially at the doc's yesterday

i am thankful and greatful that the company employing my fiance offshore lost the contract and had to send my hunny home.  He worries for me alot of the time now!

Thankful for my lil' sisters boyfriend because he has been a driver for me and even invited me out to hang out with he and his friends to take my mind off all this (while my fiance was offshore.....her boyfriend and i are the same age and great friends)

I am thankful for the diagnosis and paln of treatment i got.  I may have a wealth of knee problems and they may have suggested surgery, but i am a tough cookie and i don't intend to have surgery unless there is no way to avoid it.

I a thankful for the support i get here from people like Lori, Melilssa, Cecelia, Ross, Heather, Helen, Wendy and all you other folks who have ragged me on and not let me give up when i wanted to.  Ya'll helped me see that if i give up and do nothing no one else is gonna do it for me and its my responsibility and my fate.

I am thankful that i am spending enough time resting that i have learned to appreciate the things around me...like the damp air at night when i sit on the deck, the ability to get completely lost in a good book, long hot baths, havign the time to cook myself a good meal and not just eating things like high sodium canned soup, the joy of being able to take the day to clean up and surprise my fiance when he comes over after work, the calm that comes from being able to go to chruch in the middle of the afternoon and just sit in silence and that strange safety i feel there............if i keep up this list it'll go on forever!!

I am thankful for my future mother in law who can be really annoying but is goodhearted and genuinely concerned for me and concerned for her son whom i have claimed.

i am thankful for my upcoming trip to Chicago....it'll teach me not to be scared of what happened on the 11th and not to fear flying....everyone does it and it is sooo much safer now, than before.

i am thankful for my surgery which taught me that there really is nothing to be scared of if you are in capable hands and you trust those hands.

Last, i am thankful some of you have gotten this far down my list....it shows someone is as bored as me!  I have my knee taped the hardest my PT has ever taped anyone and i can't bent it past 45 degrees!!!

hope all are well - Gracie
8 months of continuous physical therapy
plica excision/ shaving 6-10-02
5 months of agressive physical therapy
modified Fulkerson and lateral release 5-13-03
currently in limbo

Offline Deborah

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2002, 11:38:34 PM »
I'm grateful for meeting such wonderful friends who understand my knee issues

I'm grateful I have a beautiful son

I'm grateful for still being able to drive my car

I'm grateful for my PCP who has done so much for me

I'm grateful I'm still able to work (albeit with accomodations)

I'm grateful for the American with Disabilities Act

I'm grateful for my PT, Rick

I'm grateful having a wonderful sister

I'm grateful that my staff makes me look so good

I'm grateful that my boss understands or tries to ...

I'm grateful for Bruce Springsteen's  and the Doors' music

I'm grateful to have grown up in New York City

I'm grateful for the Internet

I'm grateful we're getting a thunderstorm right now ... we need the rain

I'm grateful for ice

I'm grateful I have Monday off

I'm grateful for the Gap

I'm grateful for irony

Manip arthro adhes 1/02; TKR 10/01; vmo rep, med reef, chondro, LR 11/00; pat resurf LR 2/00; arth let meisc (80%)1/99; TTT, chondro 8/98; LR(open), med menisc, chondro 6/97; arth med men, OCD les rem

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2003, 10:12:14 AM »
I am just grateful for being a stronger person because of this!

Iona

Offline windbarb

• Forum Faithful
  • They call me Weather Bunny!
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2003, 11:13:36 PM »
I am grateful for my knee problems because...

1.  I learned from a young age to sympathize with others in pain, to know that you can't always see the cause of pain, and to be understanding of handicapped people.

2.  I get extra time with my hubby at home thanks to all of the doctors appointments and snow days (when I decided I'd better not chance trying to walk, let alone drive, in iffy wintry conditions).

3.  I've learned physical self-awareness... knowing when I'm in pain, tense, or uncomfortable, and where.

4.  Strangers hold doors for me and sometimes offer help.

5.  I've learned to accept help.

6.  I've made new friends on the KneeGuru site and found people who give me encouragement, who need my encouragement, and who can relate to the kind of pain I've had in my life.  Also, it puts things in perspective to read posts here and know that it's not as bad as some people have it.

7.  The conductor saves me a special seat on the commuter train so that I don't get bumped or cramped.

8.  My husband finally replaced that stair railing in our house that we tore down 2 years ago!  ;)

9.  When my husband vowed "sickness and health", he really meant it.

10.  I've made good use of the insurance I pay so much for!

11.  I caught up on "Trading Spaces" and "While You Were Out" :).

12.  I've had lots of time to sit still and think... maybe I'll even get around to writing poetry again.

13.  My problems aren't in my driving leg, so I can still get around.

14.  I've come to appreciate little things like strolling around a mall and walking outside on a beautiful day.

15.  I have enough leeway at work to take a rest whenever I need to ice and elevate my knee.

16.  I'm blessed with pain that will get better over time... pain may come back from time to time, but I'm not on a downward spiral.

17.  I'm learning to be strong about pain.

Since 17 is my magic number, I'll stop there!

Cheers,
Barb :)
1988-91: LK severe OSD, RK mild OSD
01/91: LK scope-flush. lingering pain
12/02: LK cortisone injection
3/03: LK scope-plica excision, partial synovectomy
11/04: L big toe cartilage/bone repair (fell)
now: L middle toe (broke; lingering pain), RK pain/swelling, neck pain/swelling

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2005, 04:26:49 PM »
Hey everyone,

I found this posting in the archives from a long time ago, but I though that it was such a awesome idea that maybe we could bring it back to life.

So, here it goes..  I am grateful for my knee problems because...

1.  It has taught me how to be strong in times of pain and trial.
2.  Six weeks on crutches taught me how to be patient, how to slow down, and how to enjoy the little things in life.
3.  It has taught me to never take the ability to walk or do everyday tasks for granted.
4.  It taught me never to stare at others with disabilities, not even to glance at them.  I never stared before, but I think I did glance without realizing I was doing it.  I learned that all the glancing and staring really makes one feel self-conscious and is quite annoying.
5.  I am grateful for my awesome surgeon and PT!!.
6.  I am grateful to have learned who my true friends are and I am so grateful to have friends who took care of me while I was NWB. 
7.  I am grateful for my mom who has patiently listened everyday about my knee problems for the past year.
8.  I am grateful to live in a country that has a good medical system and that I have medical insurance.
9.  It has taught me how to encourage others who are having similar problems and how to be more sympathetic to others who are in pain.
10.  I am grateful for the Kneeguru and this site and all the helpful info that I have gotten from this site.
11.  I am grateful to be able to talk with others who are going through the same thing as me.
12.  I am grateful for the new friends that I now have through this site.
13.  I am grateful that my knee problems have drawn me closer to God and has taught me to trrust in Him more.
14.  I am grateful that six weeks of NWB has taught me how to keep my house neater because when you are on crutches you just can't let eveything go or it would be way to big of a task to clean it up all at once.
15.  I am grateful that I got a nice vacation from work and a renewed passion to return to work.   I am also thankful that I can work.
16.  I've learned that it is important to offer your help to others and not just wait for others to ask you for help.  I've learned that when someone verbally offers their help to you, it makes is so much easier for the person who needs the help to receive it. 
17.  I've learned that someone picking up the phone and calling you and asking how things are going is so much more meaningful than an email.
18.  I've learned the importance of not trusting evey medical professional that you come across and that second opinons are always a good thing.
19.  I've learned that even though I am young, I am not invincible and to stop taking life for granted.
20.  I've learned never to rent an apartment on the top floor again and to never purchase a stick shift car again. Steps and clutches are not good for knees.     :)

Well, I'm sure there are some other things that I am grateful for that are just slipping my mind right now.  I look forward hearing what others are grateful for.

Casey :)
LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2005, 05:03:29 PM »
Good idea Casey, we should start this up again..

I'm Very greatful for Friends, for Family, For Adam my fiance' for Parents who love me, for a brother who has survived lifess struggles. For my HORSE who sometimes is the only one I can talk to ... for so far avoiding many of the genetic dissorders that run in my family... ;) Course at 24 that boat hasn't sailed, but at 24 so far so good...

I'm greatful for fresh air, green grass and baby cows to remind me just how precious life is.

Greatful for this life

Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline daisygirl2

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2005, 09:46:40 PM »
Can't say that i am really greatful at all, but i'll give it a try anyway.....

i am greatful for my ortho probs because:

1) i have a reason to sit on my butt and spend extra timedoing wedding stuff

2)i have a reason to ask others to get me things....another part of not getting up

3) shows how much my fiance really cares....he listens to me complain and forces me to do things i am supposed to but don't want to

4) i have gotten to know my OS who really is a very nice man

5) gotten free tickets to first spring football game...OS is the team doc

6) taken more than my share of long hot baths

7) found guru and met some amazing and wonderful people

and last i think this is forcing me to try and think more positivly about things.

thanks for the topic and making me think       -grace-

I am grateful too for the wonderful ness of my fiance. Heh mine is forever helping me out. I think his fav. task is timing me on the bike.  Also the extra time for the wedding stuff is bliss...dang there is alot to do!! WHen are you getting married grace?

opps, Didn't see the date was from like 2002/03 on Grace's post. because I didn't have my glasses on.  I am now grateful for my glasses which help me read the fine print.  :)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2005, 09:52:46 PM by daisygirl2 »

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • *I love soccer...miss you girls*
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2005, 03:46:10 PM »
What my knees have taught me:

1. I have the most caring friends in the world who would do anything for me
2. My parents really do want whats best for me
3. Not all OS's know what they are talking about, you need to have trust in people in order to feel comfortable with them.
4. It has taught me that you should never take walking for granted! lol
5. It was taught me how to be strong and realize there always is a light, as dim as it may be, there is always a light at the end of the tunnel
6. Taught me to appriciate the little things, like taking a warm bath, or sitting outside under a treee with a friend. Stuff I would never have done if I wasn't moblie.
7.Given me a new appriciation for all the people with disabilities. Think about how much more effort they ahve to put into just simply pouring a cup of juice..and do you ever hear them whining?
8. I am greatful for my Mom who is the most understanding person and will just listen to me about my knees and then give me positive advice.
9. I am greatful for my Dad who understands where I am coming from when I say some doctors aren't smart lol.
10. It has taught me how important every little function in hte body is. If one goes haywire, the rest get affected.
11. It has taught me to be sympatheic of people in pain, before my injury if someone would have said I tore my ACL, i would have been like oh thats too bad. But now I actually understand what it is and how much it affects your daily life.
12. If it wasn't for my knee, I would have never found kneeguru and the wonderful people and support group it brings with it.
13. It has taught me that everything happens for a reason
14. It has taught me to have patience
15. It hs taught me to have strength
16. I am thankful for a teacher at my school who i would have have been able to get along without.
17. I have learned that the people who call you when your not at school because of your knee, are the people who actually CARE about you and genuinly and wondering how your doing.
18. I am thankful for all the people that ask me everyday, 'how your knee today?' It lets me know they care and are thinking about me.
19. It has shown me to always be positive because ebing negative only makes things worse.
20. Most of all, it has shown me you can't rush things. Things will happen the way God want's them to and thats the way it shall be. If it's ment to happen, it will.
21.It has shown me how big a part of my life soccer was, and to never give up on your dreams.
22. I am thankful I only have one bumm knee and not two.
23. It has taught me how carful you have to be with taking care of your body.
24. It has taught me how many life lessons you get from sports
25. It has given me SO many life lessons in itself. Learing to be patient, take time for yourself, talk about your problems, push hard during times of doubt, and most of all just put trust in God. If you do your part in getting better, he'll do his.

i could go on forever! I LOVE this idea. I really, truly believe that everything happens for a reason and tho we may not see it now, we probably will some day. I mean if we are all honest with ourselves we can't say that our knees didn't teach us some really valuable lessons.
Kritsa
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
Torn:PCL, ACL, MCL
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Medial & Lateral Meniscus tears
Plica Syndrome
Sept 14th 2005-(LK)ACL recon, TTT, menisectomy,plica removal

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

June 14th/06-(LK)ACL graft recon, screw removal, menisectomy

Offline sharon_g

• Regular Poster
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2005, 02:09:36 AM »
I am grateful because this experience has taught me I can make it through anything that comes my way intact (not the same, but intact).
I am grateful because not all character building is fun, but I am a much better person for it.
I am grateful because I have re-evaluated my priorities, and we all come out ahead.
I am eternally grateful to my kids who have been my rocks, and they were lucky enough to have the experience helping when their mom is down, and when everyone else bailed on me, they were always there.
I am grateful to learn if I loose a job because of my leg, other better ones turn up, and my job is not the root of my existance.
I am grateful to be able to lean on my higher power and trust that every little thing is going to be alright.
I am grateful for my church meal program and all the strangers who didin't know me and helped anyway
I am grateful because I am at peace with all of this
I am grateful to learn that everything is fleeting, including my body, and to appreciate the parts that work and heal
I am grateful to see my OS smile for a job well done.
I am grateful my skiing accident only blew out my knee and it wasn't worse.
I am grateful I have learned to laugh instead of cry at life's curveballs.
I am grateful to have had a healthy strong body for 32 years.
I am grateful my PT loves to push me because I can see my improvement.
I am grateful to my mom/ friends who helped me
I am grateful for the friends who tried to help, even though they couldn't handle it and eventually bailed on me

Sharon
R TPFX-Type I/II-No Surgery,stress fracture - 01/04
Scope 05/04- meniscus cleanup,femur,tibia and patella cartilage shaving, femoral cartilage degeneration
MCL Strain (Healed Long)
ACL hamstring reconstruction (healed long) - 4/21/05

Offline Jennifer

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2006, 12:53:02 AM »
I haven't really been around for a while  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)  I was playing with some of the newer features and found this thread again and realized I had missed some of the replies and they were awesome  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)  Thanks everyone...

Jennifer
11/98 LR+chondro(L);Maquets T3 5/99(L),5/00(R);8/00 bilat hdwr removal;7/01 chondro+therm shrink(L)10/01-therm shrink(R);2/02, LR +chondro+menis repair(R);7/01 access navic excis (L) foot;11/02, bilat Baker's Cyst Asp;12/03 Roux-type T3 +meniscus trim(R),12/04 Roux-type T3(L) :o :o :o

Offline Flame

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2006, 11:55:21 PM »
I am grateful for my two little boys who give me all the hugs I need when I need them.

I am grateful for my drs who have tried everything in their powers to help me all they can.

I am grateful that i have found out how strong of a person I have become through all this and for the friends that have pointed that out.

I am grateful that my ex husband and his wife have been so understanding and for all their help with everything. They have really been awsome!

I am grateful for my parents who have allowed me to come live with them AGAIN!

I am grateful for all you guys who have listened to my complain when I felt that no one else was there and could understand. Thanks guys!!

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2006, 12:51:13 AM »
I am grateful that I can challenge myself daily. I am greatful that I have internet access at work.  I am greatful I have decent insurance. I am greatful that my OS is a good listener. I am greatful that I have learned to look at life a different way. I am greatful that I can put myself in another shoes when they say they are in pain. I am greatful my OS made me do PT three times a week and also greatful that I have no co pay. I am greatful that I have handicapped parking. I am greatful when people ask if I need help .. I am greatful in accepting help.. I am greatful that I have not lost my mind.. I am greatful I get to read about other knee people experiences on this site and found a way to research a few surgery options prior to my actual need for the surgery.. I am greatful  i can work my upper body strengTh if i have to be non weight baring for two months again .. I am greatful that i have embraced my own fears at times. I am greatful that I know I have an inner strength i never thought i had. .I am breathing.. no heart problems no breathing problems .. no blood problems.. cancer free and do not smoke.. I am greatful god has given me a chance to see illness with out fear

Offline WantToKick

• Regular Poster
  • Just seeking to be able to ignore my knee.
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2006, 06:17:06 PM »
I can't say i'm grateful for the problem in my knee... but because of it, i've slowed down a bit... By being less of an exercise nut, i'm actually HEALTHIER now than i was before.  Because of m knee, i don't feel guilty that i'm not out running and i don't feel so bad about not being in martial arts (the knee made me stop, but i don't know if i would go back if i could).  Through it, i've gotten to see my family doc at his finest - battling insurance company for me, shipping off MRI scans at his own expense to the best doctor either of us have ever met... getting to be put back into regular contact with that very good very special doctor... having done most of the work for rehab on my own, and been responsible for it all myself, i feel a sense of accomplishment... there are things that feel almost as good as climbing a mountain (like RUNNING from the car to the house.  It hurt, but i could DO it! and rollerblading, even though i have to go slower and be gentle).  SO i guess my list is short, but i did find SOME things.  And here's the MOST IMPORTANT thing... I have been able to once again see my God get me through a trial, and make sure i got stronger in the process, all the while taking the opportunity to remind me that He'll NEVER leave me.
1998 - dog vs. human accident, torn MCL, subluxed patella
1999 - plica removal, chondroplasty. 
2002 - skating accident, subluxed patella, torn LCL, bone bruising
2005 - skiing accident, torn MCL, torn meniscus, stretched acl, torn medial capsule
2007 - plica removal, synovectomy

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2006, 01:56:17 AM »
Wow, it's really great you found this thread.. it's old.. lol..I remember Grace..

I am greatful for my husband who no matter what supports me and loves me and makes me believe in myself.
I am greatful for my horse who never talks back, just listens, carries me on great adventures when my legs cannot and gives truly free love.
I am greatful for friends and family who are there in the good times and the bad times... who stand by me always un wavering in strength.
I am greatful for parents who understand that i'm not perfect and realize they are not either.
I am greatful for the sun the green grass and puffy white clouds.

I am greatful to be alive.
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline sezb

• Forum Faithful
  • Sister Sarah's lost her mind...
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2006, 01:47:12 PM »
I am grateful because I have found out who my real friends are......
I am grateful as this has made me think of others more......

Sez :)
ACL op R. knee 02/90
ACL op L. Knee 04/06 
(Yes went and did the other knee too - skiing again!)
Had enough of knees now!!!