Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: new member needs help  (Read 1019 times)

Offline miners

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
new member needs help
« on: November 14, 2005, 09:32:07 AM »
 ???I am a 30 year old solicitor from South WALES in the UK. I started having knee dislocations when I about 10 years old. Back in those days Orthopedics where only really up on broken bones and i went back and fore the hsopital till they did a LR in 1988. Since then I have had 3 LR on both legs. I am now after 20 years under a new surgeon. He is a knee surgeon for the welsh rugby team so I am told. I saw him last friday and well I have not yet got over what he told me. He looked at my MRI scans and said that he wanted to do an operation of which there has only been 1 done in this area. He wants to reshape the knee joints as my patella's are too high riding. He said that there was also severe arthritis there and I would need major knee replacement in my 40's I though o my god that is 10 years. I am really scarred that I am going to be in a wheelchair. Anyone got any stories the same.

Miner
miners

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: new member needs help
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 12:39:28 PM »
Miner

Did your OS say what the procedure was called that he wants to do?   I had similar problems, I had high riding patellas, constant dislocations and also trochear dysplasia (groove that kneecap sits in was non existent), I also have very severe arthritis but have been told that they won't do a TKR until I'm at least in my middle to late 50s.  My OS performed a tibial tubercle transfer on me - I wonder if this is what your OS is talking about - although they are a lot more common so perhaps this is not what he's talking about doing?

I wouldn't worry about being in a wheelchair, there are things that can be done, the TTT (tibial tubercle transfer), osteotomies, partial knee replacements and the total knee replacement, so just because you have severe arthritis does not mean you will ultimately be in a wheelchair.

I would be very interested to hear what type of procedure the OS is talking about as you appear to have had the same kind of problems as I've had.

Natalie.
Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements
Partial Meniscectomy
Failed Microfracture
11mm Defect LFC
Bone Spurs, Kissing Lesions

Offline miners

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 12:58:36 PM »
Miner

Did your OS say what the procedure was called that he wants to do?   I had similar problems, I had high riding patellas, constant dislocations and also trochear dysplasia (groove that kneecap sits in was non existent), I also have very severe arthritis but have been told that they won't do a TKR until I'm at least in my middle to late 50s.  My OS performed a tibial tubercle transfer on me - I wonder if this is what your OS is talking about - although they are a lot more common so perhaps this is not what he's talking about doing?

I wouldn't worry about being in a wheelchair, there are things that can be done, the TTT (tibial tubercle transfer), osteotomies, partial knee replacements and the total knee replacement, so just because you have severe arthritis does not mean you will ultimately be in a wheelchair.

I would be very interested to hear what type of procedure the OS is talking about as you appear to have had the same kind of problems as I've had.

Natalie.

I only got the technicals of it he said that it would involve altering the positioning of the tibia as it is out of line, cutting a grove into the knee which I don't have at the moment so they say- however, it is also estbalished that as I have flat feet and my joints as a whole are very mobile it could also be gentic, infact my father had the same problem and it was he who showed me how to put my knee back in - as it sometimes dislocated complety other times it does what I call jump out and back in on its own. Mind you I get alot of pain in the joints and somenights I sleet with my leg on a pillow to try to ease it. The heat makes them stiff and the cold makes them ache. in fact we have just had our first heavy frost of the winter here and the pain today you would not believe. He said that this is common in females due to their hips! thats the first time I have heard that one! I have heard some things in the last 20 years

He then said there was a much more traumatic operation but he said I would be out of work for some time I asked if there were risks if I left them alone ( just thinking best left alone) he said the arthritis would get such that in 10 years I will not be able to walk.

Sometimes I feel when I go out, I just can't put one foot in front of the other and then the hip joints start to ache and my feet and them I can't walk for a few days, so I try not to walk too much these days but now I am putting on weight just can't win. My Knees caps move side to side as I bend and straighten the leg and it actually sit on the femur bone as the x rays show, a junoir doctor had a real shock in january when she saw the x ray and started panicking I thought it was funny. But they actually sit high up and on the side of the legs. I am dreading the ice coming and the wet leaves I get paranoid about falling. Mind you last time I fell i managed to injure my spine in the fall and that is not healing now either so I am a walking disater. I am so glad to have found this site a few months ago, because I could not believe how many others there are like me. I feel less of a freak now!

I am actually in work now using the firm's computer to do this! don;t tell the boss. !

miners

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 01:11:41 PM »
Miner,

I won't tell if you don't!  I'm also at work using computer  ;).

It sounds to me like you have exactly what I have/had, hypermobile joints and perhaps trochlear dysplasia, I've dislocated and subluxed since I was 12 years old, my x-rays are also a topic of discussion with docs  ::)  I'm still not sure what procedure your OS is talking about, perhaps reconstruction of the trochlear groove or it could be a TTT where they cut the tibial tubercle tendon along with a wedge of bone and move it across either medially or laterally depending on which way you dislocate to reposition the kneecap more centrally, or maybe its a combination of all these things?

I can totally empathise with you with the pain in the hips etc.  Have you tried using a TENS machine?  I find that it does help slightly but only whilst I'm using it, but hey, anything is better than nothing.

As far as the ice is concerned, again I can relate, I found this spectacular product in the internet (although I've yet to try them out) but I've heard they're great, they're called YakTrax, they're like snow chains for your shoes and are supposed to make walking in the ice and snow a lot safer (although I don't think you can use them in leaves - only ice and snow).  I'm in Scotland so am expecting to be seeing some snow pretty soon.  I'll let you know if the YakTrax are any good.

Natalie.

Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements
Partial Meniscectomy
Failed Microfracture
11mm Defect LFC
Bone Spurs, Kissing Lesions

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 04:28:18 PM »
The Yak trax are great!  I've had them for years - my house is on a very steep hill.  I don't have any experience with yoru particular knee issues, but I can assure you than money spent on yak trax is money well spent.
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline kittent1211

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 03:59:13 AM »
I go to a gym that specializes in water classes for people recovering from surgery.  Many of the people in the class are recovering from knee replacement surgery and most  are doing very well walking.  One lady had both of her knees replaced and she's doing great.  She said that she was up and walking the very next day after her surgery.  So, knee replacement do not mean that you will be crippled. 

Teresa