Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: complex bucket handle tear - can it be repaired?  (Read 1014 times)

Offline jb-knee-geek

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
complex bucket handle tear - can it be repaired?
« on: November 12, 2005, 11:16:23 PM »
Hi all, sorry to say I tore my meniscus while on my "conservative" treat ment for my torn ACL.

I had an MRI, which was diagnosed as a complex bucket handle tear. I have no pain until I workout....

My OS looked at the 3D images and says he won't know until he gets in there with the 'scope whether he can do a repair or not.

Also, he says he may have to remove up to 30% of the meniscus. I'm hoping for the repair due to the long term affect of removing meniscus.

He scares the crap out of me....

Has anyone had a good outcome of a repair of a bucket handle meniscus tear? I'm looking for some light at the end of this tunnel.......
torn RK ACL March 2001, surgery Aug. 14 2006, after 4 knee sprains since Oct. '05.  Allograft, ~40% medial meniscus removed, some wear in the trochlear groove. Everything else looks good.

Post-op diary: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=29749.

Offline misshilde

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: complex bucket handle tear - can it be repaired?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 03:18:05 AM »
Hi, I had a bad bucket handle tear..and removed it..I had walked around on it for too long and and doc had to clean out my knee completely..down to the bone...that was 6 years ago....heeling was ok..I cheated on some of my rehab and am now paying for it...need to have lateral release and patella debridment..this is to see if that works before I have hto....now... alot of things have happened in 6 years...maybe a donor tissue is an option...the more question you ask on this site, the more answers you get...alot of people sign on and I certainly have gotten some good advice.,..I didn't ask enough questions before....maybe that means nothing would have been different...but it's hard to look at partial knee replacement as an only option...so good luck and hope that you get some real knee advice

hilde
born with bad knee
83 patella ligament pierced by iceicle
84 50%  hamstring rip
86 lateral meniscus tear
more dance 
99 menisectomy(finally)
more dance
patellar & quad tendontis
05 LR, bonespur removal, general clean out, stage 4 OA
oct 06 illiophoas release( hip ok) but knee still bad...