Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: I am 46 years YOUNG!! Having ACL Construction with Allograft on the 18th.  (Read 1145 times)

Offline diditdancin

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
My OS said that I am "old" to have this type injury......and healing time will be longer. Anyone close to my age with ACL injury?  :'(
DiditDancin

Offline kneeandrathol

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
I am a little younger, however my dad had allograft surgery 2 years ago at 51 years old. He healed up fine and does not have any problems with his knee. but at 30 years old I have all sorts of problems healing.
 >:(

Offline clesher

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Hello!  I'm 46 and had a tibialis allograft used for my acl replacement in January 2005.  At 10 months post-op, I'm doing fine.  In fact, I did better at recovering than some of my students who had the same operation. 
 I already had an established exercise routine that I maintained from the time of the accident until the date of the surgery. (I waited about 2 years.)  Also, at 46, I had a bit more self-discipline than some young people, as well as more caution and patience.
I was weight bearing immediately, off crutches in a week, and back at teaching in 3 weeks. 
I agree that older people are at a disadvantage in terms of cellular aging and healing, but mature folks have SOME advantages in recovering from an injury.
I plan on using my knees for many more years!  I am so glad I had the surgery done.  Good luck to you, and keep us posted.   

Offline Audice

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
Anyone close to my age with ACL injury?  :'(

Hi ~ I'm 67 & just destroyed my ACL last April coming off my horse. No reconstruction warranted says the OS. My knee no longer buckles from the missing ligament but the torn menisci are driving me ever closer to surgery. Wishing you well...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline rockette

• Forum Faithful
  • GET R DONE!!!
diditdancin

I don't feel that age is a factor anymore. I am 43 and ruptured my acl. I am physicaly active and am in good shape. Mind and body are the soul. I don't feel old at all. As a matter of fact, I've decided not to get old.

Rockette
knee injury April 04-Brace CII crutches
epidural/cpm hospital 1 week June 04 MUA
scope Jan 05
acl recon pcl repair July7.05
Epidural/CPM/catheter Oct 11.05 UGH!!! MUA 4 days paralized
Ext prob/waiting for scope 06

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • *I love soccer...miss you girls*
Hi there,
I think it really dependson your acitivity level. If you are 46 and active then I would say youre most def. not too young to get reconstruction. Its all up to you, if you want it then find a OS who will do the procedure for you. I know quite a few people who are older than you who have had it done. Goodluck
Krista
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
Torn:PCL, ACL, MCL
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Medial & Lateral Meniscus tears
Plica Syndrome
Sept 14th 2005-(LK)ACL recon, TTT, menisectomy,plica removal

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

June 14th/06-(LK)ACL graft recon, screw removal, menisectomy

Offline jb-knee-geek

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
I'm 48 and will be 49 when I have my ACL surgery.

If you're active,  don't be a dope like me and wait until you tear your meniscus. Then surgery and reahb gets complicated.....

Age is unrelated, committment to rehab is what matters most......

good luck,
torn RK ACL March 2001, surgery Aug. 14 2006, after 4 knee sprains since Oct. '05.  Allograft, ~40% medial meniscus removed, some wear in the trochlear groove. Everything else looks good.

Post-op diary: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=29749.

Offline feggie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
HI,
I am a 54 year young grandma, and had my ACL reconstructed with a hamstring allograft, and meniscus repair on Nov. 1, 2005.
I went to 3 docs...one said I was too old, one said he hated to do it on "seniors", but was in favor of doing it for stability, and the third said..."of course we need to fix it!!".
I am now 12 days post op.  I hope you get the ice machine gadget, which continually pumps cool water under  your bandages.  It is very soothing.
My leg is very stiff, and I am using a CPM device. I have it up to 77, and the goal is 90.  My pain level is about a 2 on a 1-10 scale, with 10 being terrible.  Sometimes I have no pain.
I have difficulty getting up and down, as I am in a straight brace when I am not on the machine. I am pleased with my progress. I guess the rehab is a little slower when you are older, but nothing beats a stable knee.
I wish you well, and please write if I can help in any way.
Feggie
complete acl tear w/ meniscus damage 4/05; acl allograft recon. w/ meniscus repair 11/1/05

Offline sparkle999

• SuperKNEEgeek
HI

35 y/0 and not amazingly sporty here.....

my OS said i was recovering faster than most...

Why limit your life when there's a solution?    but only have the recon done if you actually need the ACL

xx
35 y/o
ACL rupture
loose body under kneecap
impaction fractures
injury 19th march 2005
scope 9th may
recon 24th october 05

support