Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: advice wanted  (Read 728 times)

Offline dain

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
advice wanted
« on: November 11, 2005, 11:07:00 PM »
ok so i stretched my ACL at the end of May playing rugby. It was coming along good except for it still felt unstable when i sprinted. So i got it checked out and my doctor says its torn now. So ive been fitted for a defiance brace and have a appoinment to see a surgeon. Problem is that i cant play rugby with a solid brace. I can practice with it just cant play in games due to regulations. The season dosent start until april so anyway my quesiton is if i was to play without a solid brace i know that im not likely to last very long with out injuring it, but because of the acl being torn does that make it more likly that i would injure other parts of my knee compared to if it wasnt torn? Im really disapointed as its my last year for highschool rugby.

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
Re: advice wanted
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 04:29:56 AM »
Sadly, you have it exactly right.  Without an ACL, you are at high risk of tearing the meniscus in your knee.  This is absolutely not something you want to do, as it's tough to repair--usually the doctor just removes the torn bit.  And that is removing the cushion between your thigh bone and shin bone...it's a recipe for arthritis down the road.

It is usually a given that those without an ACL should not play contact or cutting sports, and rugby certainly qualifies.  Get that ACL reconstructed as soon as possible.  With a fantastic surgeon, a great rehab program, and some serious luck, you could be cleared for contact sports in 6 months...that's April.  So work toward your goal, but work smart.  Don't risk the future of your knee for a season of rugby.  Get that ACL reconstructed and you should be good as new--some surgeons say even better.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline kittent1211

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005, 05:39:13 PM »
I get a medical chanel and this moring they had on a doctor talking about knee injuries and he said that if such an injury goes untreated it can cause damage to the gliding surfaces of the knee and that if this happens modern medicine has not come up with a really good treatment for that.  Because of this I really don't think you should mess around with it all all. 

Teresa

carol j

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2005, 08:06:05 PM »
Hi dain.This is just a bit of general advice......I hope that you will do whatever is required of you to preserve the function and integrity of your weight-bearing joints. I hope you never get to the point (like some of us) who would be happy just to be able to walk a reasonable distance in a reasonable span of time without pain. Rugby is a great sport but  you can and will survive without it. I wish you all the best in your recovery as you continue on in life.....you have much to look forward to!

Offline dain

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2005, 09:17:32 PM »
Thank you all so much for your replys. Heather I would have surgery right now if Ii could but its gonna be a 6-8 month wait. After I've thought about it and reading your responses I've decided I'm gonna try and cover the brace so its not possible to tell there's solid in it. (a teamate has done this but it was with with less solid brace) If that dont work im not gonna risk it. Thanks so much guys i also wanna say how nice everyone seems on these forums, I've been to other boards and it seems everyone just flames one another. Its great here.  8)

support