Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Torn ACL for the 2nd Time!  (Read 887 times)

Offline TeenTear2x

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Torn ACL for the 2nd Time!
« on: November 11, 2005, 11:02:21 PM »
Tore ACL during spring football - had surgery with hamstring replacement in June.
Was released 4 mos post op - tore it again 10 days after release.
Scheduled to reconstruct, again on Dec 1st. Really concerned about cadaver. Most articles you read are negative - I'm a teen who wants to play ball again and stay healthy.
Does anyone have any advice on what would be the strongest option for me?
Has anyone experienced what I'm going through?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2005, 04:51:52 AM by TeenTear2x »

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
Re: Torn ACL for the 2nd Time!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 05:44:05 AM »
I know my current surgeon, a pioneer in the ACL field, seems to recommend patellar tendon grafts for young, athletic folks.  It has some significant advantages, including earlier incorporation according to this paper by the Steadman Hawkins clinic:

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:c_zjlEP41ZgJ:www.steadman-hawkins.com/images/acl.pdf+steadman+acl+patellar+tendon+graft&hl=en

Here's the quote:

Patellar Tendon or Hamstring?

Unfortunately not only will the ACL not heal on its own, sewing the ACL onlyseems to work about 65% of the time. Replacing the ACL works 98% of the time. Therefore the most common surgical procedure on the ACL is replacement or “reconstruction”. Dr. Steadman has also recently popularized a successfulmodification of the repair called “The ACL Healing Response”. Our options forreplacing the ACL include a cadaver graft, your own patellar tendon orhamstrings. All are very strong, in fact stronger than a native ACL in most circumstances.

To replace the ACL we must make tunnels in the bone to place the new graft. The patellar tendon graft has bone plugs on either end and has the advantage ofbone-to-bone healing. which typically occurs in 4 weeks. The hamstring graft isall soft tissue and takes 8-12 weeks to incorporate into the bony tunnels. Both grafts will go through a process of weakening followed by revascularization and won’t achieve its maximal strength until about 9 months after surgery.

Patellar Tendon graft with a Bone Plug on Either End:  For the young, high level athlete we tend to favor the Patellar Tendon Reconstruction due to the lower re-rupture rate we have found.  In the high-levelrecreational athlete who needs to get back to work as soon as possible, we would often favor the Hamstring Reconstruction. Both graft choices are extremely strong and work exceptionally well with the proper rehabilitation.

Hope this information helps.  And I hope you have a great doctor.  A revision ACL is much more complicated, and there are lots of considerations for the young, athletic person in this situation.  Good luck.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline TeenTear2x

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Torn ACL for the 2nd Time!
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 04:53:49 AM »
Thank you for the info - going for a second opinion.
My doctor has an excellent reputation - I just feel a little weiry having to repair his work so soon.

support