Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Can't Figure Out What's Going On With Post-Op Knee  (Read 826 times)

Offline Cindysphynx

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
Can't Figure Out What's Going On With Post-Op Knee
« on: November 11, 2005, 10:53:43 PM »
I don't know whether I should post this question here or elsewhere, but it involves several subjects, so I'll just put it out there . . .

I had a plica removal and medial meniscus trim 7 weeks ago.  I started doing PT religiously and rigorously.  I was able to run a bit at 4 weeks post-op and run well at 6 weeks post-op, after 4 weeks with a good PT.  My limp was gone, I was pain free, I could bend well and straighten fully.

My PT said she'd do some agility training with me and probably discharge me in two more weeks (9 weeks post-op).  The agility training consisted of many things that I do in an exercise class I take (lunges, squats, jumping).  My out-of-pocket cost of the PT was starting to add up (over $500 since two weeks pre-op).  And I felt a little weird displaying so much agility and movement in front of my fellow PT patients, some of whom looked to be in pretty bad shape.

So I canceled my remaining PT appointments, figuring I'd rehab myself at home.  This week, I continued my regular PT exercise, fitness walking/running and did some light tennis this week (just drills and doubles). 

And now my knee hurts and is acting up.  It's weird.  I've been avoiding running and tennis for two days, yet the knee sometimes throbs every few minutes even when I'm not using it (like right now).  There is a pinching or stabbing pain in the front of the knee when I go down stairs.  It is stiff.  I still do my exercises at home, but it seems to swell more and some ROM seems to be reduced.

Why would this be happening?  Is this just a minor, temporary problem or am I having a tracking problem (I didn't have one before)?  Should I try to work through this on my own?  What happens if you return to sports too early, and how do you know if you're ready?  Apparently there is more to it than having the knee feel good . . .

Cindy
partial meniscectomy and plica ressection -- Sept. 05
chondromalacia patella -- Jan. 05

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
Re: Can't Figure Out What's Going On With Post-Op Knee
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 11:50:16 AM »
Cindy,

Think you should go to your OS and get re-assessed before returning to strenuous activities, just to make sure that you have not re-injured yourself.

Elevate and ice your knee to get the swelling down.  Swelling will effect the ROM.

Let us know how it goes,

Shade

July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT